• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: haresfur (2011) - not exactly bush tucker

Cook long and slow. Covered casserole with a little (couple of tablespoons) wine (I use Madeira), soy, maybe an onion, and a tablespoon of vinegar. 75C/167F for 12 or even 24 hours.

Falling off the bone tender. It will make a lot of its own juice.

Cook the veg seperately.

Love the pink drink, haresfur.

I wouldn't add beets or turnips to the lamb shank braise. Keep it simple, a little white wine, some tomato, some aromatic vegetables, and "low and slow". White beans on the side.

Cheers,

Anne

a Shiraz-Viognier, ...

Now *THAT* sounds like an interesting blend? Have you had it before? I love both Shiraz and Viognier.....what are they like together???

Lovely little "Wholefoods" store, by the way. Very charming. And great kitchen, love the leaded glass in the door ! You must have some serious muscle to heft that KitchenAid off and onto that cupboard top ! I'm impressed....

When I got home, someone had pulled the stuffing out of the couch :angry:. Anyone want a Dalmatian coat? ....

Ah yes...."and they call it Puppy Love" as the song used to say. They do wait until they've wormed their way into your heart to show the destructive traits, don't they? Rosie tore down my drapes (pulled so hard the rod brackets came out of the plaster !), Lulu ate a recliner, etc., etc., etc. The good news, they *DO* eventually ( :wacko: ) grow out of it.....eventually.

Great blog so far. Once again, a head trip hearing you talk about winter coming in, when we're gearing up for hot weather !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

haresfur, just want to let you know that I'm really enjoying your blog. How is that porcini noodle from ALDI? I have a pack in the pantry. I like the butter chicken sauce from there as well.

Do you use your transformer often? How has that been working out on the appliances. I used it with my KitchenAid mixer the other day to make cookie dough and that worked alright. Not sure if I'm comfortable using it to make marshmallow yet....

I haven't had a banana since we moved here. I've never paid more than $1/lb (about $2/kg) for them before and I'm not ready to pay over $7/kg!

I'm also interested in hearing what a Shiraz-Viognier is like. I saw that and other similar blends which I've never seen before.

Looking forward to more posts!

Cook long and slow. Covered casserole with a little (couple of tablespoons) wine (I use Madeira), soy, maybe an onion, and a tablespoon of vinegar. 75C/167F for 12 or even 24 hours.

Falling off the bone tender. It will make a lot of its own juice.

Cook the veg seperately.

Adding some beans or lentils to the braising liquid never hurts. At the very least, load the liquid up with aromatic vegetables and some herbs.

Love the pink drink, haresfur.

I wouldn't add beets or turnips to the lamb shank braise. Keep it simple, a little white wine, some tomato, some aromatic vegetables, and "low and slow". White beans on the side.

Great tips, thanks. If I add lentils to the liquid do I add more wine? Put them in at the beginning? I think I have red, green, and black lentils in stock right now.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Now *THAT* sounds like an interesting blend? Have you had it before? I love both Shiraz and Viognier.....what are they like together???

Lovely little "Wholefoods" store, by the way. Very charming. And great kitchen, love the leaded glass in the door ! You must have some serious muscle to heft that KitchenAid off and onto that cupboard top ! I'm impressed....

I'll report on the wine when I open it. Maybe tomorrow. It was about $6.00 so if it is drinkable, I'll be happy. If not, I can probably get the same effect by hitting myself on the head with the bottle :raz:.

The KitchenAid is an accident waiting to happen. I really need to clear some space in a low drawer...

haresfur, just want to let you know that I'm really enjoying your blog. How is that porcini noodle from ALDI? I have a pack in the pantry. I like the butter chicken sauce from there as well.

Do you use your transformer often? How has that been working out on the appliances. I used it with my KitchenAid mixer the other day to make cookie dough and that worked alright. Not sure if I'm comfortable using it to make marshmallow yet....

I haven't had a banana since we moved here. I've never paid more than $1/lb (about $2/kg) for them before and I'm not ready to pay over $7/kg!

I'm also interested in hearing what a Shiraz-Viognier is like. I saw that and other similar blends which I've never seen before.

Looking forward to more posts!

Hi! Hope you are settling in well. Great country, eh?

The transformer probably gets the most use with espresso maker and the rice cooker. I think the speeds on mixer, stick mixer, and blender are slower with the biggest effect on the stick mixer, maybe because of the gearing. But it does the job, and even the pottery wheel didn't blow up. For the mixer it will only be a problem for the top speed.

I thought the noodles were ok - nothing special, but it's nice to have variety. When I first heard a coworker talking about Aldi I thought he was talking about a car because his country accent made it sound like Audi.

I picked Eileen and a visiting scientist from Spain up at the train station this evening and we headed to the Malayan Orchid. We split a nice bottle of local Pinot (local as in the winery, the grapes are from Yarra Valley. We had prawns in red curry, my favourite aubergine in sweet chili (better than average chili sauce and crispy fried egg plant), and lamb in something or other. I wasn't fond of the lamb. All of it was pretty mild. Our visitor was a good sport about my taking photos. He said he was pleased to get to an interesting restaurant because in Córdoba, aside from some Italian and Chinese, it's all Spanish food. Unfortunately, no Spanish around here that I know of.

P4120005.JPG

P4120006.JPG

P4120008.JPG

P4120007.JPG

I'm enjoying your blog, always love "food from afar".

The tour of Aldi was impressive. I'm a big fan here at home, but our stuff is rather ordinary, though good. Flavored tuna? We always visit them in Europe, I got a bunch of good cooking supplies in Germany....my favorite was tiny tubes of "essence"/extract for baking. And Stroop Waffles! They are certainly national/regional.

It costs just US$.25 for a shopping cart here....you almost never see one loose in the parking lot.

Thanks

I'm enjoying your blog, always love "food from afar".

The tour of Aldi was impressive. I'm a big fan here at home, but our stuff is rather ordinary, though good. Flavored tuna? We always visit them in Europe, I got a bunch of good cooking supplies in Germany....my favorite was tiny tubes of "essence"/extract for baking. And Stroop Waffles! They are certainly national/regional.

It costs just US$.25 for a shopping cart here....you almost never see one loose in the parking lot.

Thanks

Going to grocery stores is an important travel activity for me. And to get to know a place, check out the pre-packaged and junk food as cultural research (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Enjoying seeing life in your neighborhood.

My favorite very simple lamb shank prep is to put a mass of fresh rosemary in the bottom of the pan, salt & pepper the shanks and slather them with Dijon mustard. Sprinkle some rough chopped garlic over them. Add a dash of balsamic vinegar or red wine. Cover and cook in a low oven for 3 hours or so tilling falling off the bone and the smell is making you and the pets crazy hungry.

I've been thinking about a name for the genever Sazarac. How about "Man Enough to Drink Pink"? Or maybe "Drink Enough to Go Pink, Man"?

Anyone who drinks it will forget about its pinkness. It's definitely not a girly girl drink... :laugh:

Great blog; I am enjoying it immensely.

Going to grocery stores is an important travel activity for me. And to get to know a place, check out the pre-packaged and junk food as cultural research (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Yes I agree. Small, local hardware stores are lots of fun too.

Cheers,

Anne

I've been thinking about a name for the genever Sazarac. How about "Man Enough to Drink Pink"? Or maybe "Drink Enough to Go Pink, Man"?

How about "Very Secure"?

I like Man Enough to Drink Pink and Very Secure

Cheers,

Anne

How about "Very Secure"?

I like Man Enough to Drink Pink and Very Secure

I like them both too. Very Secure describes the feeling in your tummy after having one, but that can apply to lots of cocktails.

I've really fallen in love with the genever. It has such a subtle taste that is fun to sip and contemplate.

Well, I think it's time for some real Aussie food. I headed over to the Eaglehawk Bakehouse for a late lunch of take away pies.

P4120005 (2).JPG

P4120009.JPG

And since Eaglehawk is where Mulga Bill was from:

P4120008 (2).JPG

And the score. Clockwise from upper left we have beef&onion pie, wholemeal veggie packet, and Cornish pastie. Where you have mines, you have Cornish immigrants.

P4120015.JPG

And the tomato relish I picked up at a market outside Horesham:

P4120020.JPG

I saved some for tomorrow, honest.

I'll have the beef & onion, thanks! Is that a single serving, or are they meant to share? Is the pastie all one type of filling, or is it double, with apples at one end for dessert?

Edited to fix beef, cause it's not beer in the pie. :laugh:

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I'll have the beef & onion, thanks! Is that a single serving, or are they meant to share? Is the pastie all one type of filling, or is it double, with apples at one end for dessert?

Edited to fix beef, cause it's not beer in the pie. :laugh:

Beef and Guinness does make a good pie, though :biggrin:. The pies are single serving - although I had 3 halves for lunch!. I'm pretty sure the pastie is one filling but won't know for sure 'til I reach the other end! I hadn't heard about the double filling before.

First off, here's the wine haul from earlier.

P4120011.JPG

To continue my day of eating Aussie, dinner was fish & chips. I ordered far more food than I needed, in the interests of exploration and entertainment. Eaglehawk has 3 fish & chips shops in 2 blocks, along with a chook shop, a pizza place, the bakery, and a few hotels that serve meals. I usually go to Sea Shells. Today I got snapper, 2 scallops, a couple of potato cakes (Thought I ordered only one) and a dollar's chips. Hope my heart doesn't explode.

P4120007 (2).JPG

P4130001.JPG

The scallops were good but not like Nova Scotia. Deep frying them does seem a waste.

Oh, and what to drink with fish & chips? How about a 2010 Cock + Bull shiraz-vigonier? :biggrin:. Quite nice.

Wow this sounds great. How about even more rosemary as the last thing before the cover?

I did a bone in shoulder like this once. Pulled BBQ New Mexico style.

Very much enjoying the blog, haresfur. Let us know how the shanks turn out. That battered seafood looks wonderful.

Can you describe the taste of kangaroo for us?

I meant to quote the entry about the lamb shanks but my morning eyes weren't working quite right.

Edited by catdaddy (log)

Yum, nothing better than fish & chips. Think I'm gonna get myself some tomorrow!

I agree with another poster that the Aldi near you seems to be well- stocked up. The one where I live only has the 'crappy' stuff. Not particularly tasty, lots of additives but extremely cheap. Actually, these days, the meat and fresh items aren't cheap anymore compared to the normal supermarkets (when they are on sale).

Looking forward to the rest of your entries!

Nyonya in The Netherlands

My Blog- Deliciously Lekker