• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Last and probably final trip to London (Help!)

DH and I are leaving in May for what will probably be our last trip to London, we love this city; however, due to age, illness, finances :sad: ; this is it! We plan on the following dinners out...please tell us if we are doing the right thing or besides added pounds and possibly gout; what would YOU do in our place!

Dinners: L'Oranger, Gordon Ramsey, Le Gavaroche, Marcus Wearing. Not all one day after another, we have a day break in between; plus late afternoon teas (meaning we'll need no dinner) at the following: Langham hotel, Brown's Hotel, and the Goring Hotel.

We will also be going to a couple of pubs for meals, plus Books for Cooks, and the Bourough Market...any other suggestions? We have done all the tourist type things, so this time it is just for us having fun.

We will be there for eleven days...we are willing to cancel anything you all think is wrong, and add something in, but really would appreciate input...thanks.

The Old Cook. :cool:

First I look at what your plans are and think it’s all very traditional. For dinner you have "L'Oranger, Gordon Ramsey, Le Gavaroche, Marcus Wearing" and high end (french influenced) restaurants, if that's what you really like then go for it. But here are my thoughts:-

Firstly if Gordon Ramsey is "Royal Hospital Road" then reports I’ve had is while good it’s not exceptional, and also in the UK Gorden Ramseys reputation and restaurants seem to be in decline Claridge's has gone from 2 to 1 to zero) look at the threads about these restaurants.

Secondly if your last trip to the London (I assume your not in the UK) why not go to Bray (London, 30min train ride and 10mins in a cab and the same back) and if you can get a reservation why not go to the fat duck, or the waterside inn. Doing that will up your costs but if cost an issue, save by swapping one of your high end choices for dinner to for lunch, some such as , Le Gavaroche are famous for their lunch and then for dinner do something of inexpensive and local or off the E.g. travel on the tube to zone 3 and have vegetarian indian restaurant (I recommend the tomato curry) do that and you'll see a different part of London, and more of it’s international cuisine.

Another one to suggest r is http://www.viajante.co.uk/ if your into modernist dishes, as an alternative for one of your dinner choices.

I also see your going for three late afternoon teas (meaning we'll need no dinner) are you sure. Yes afternoon tea is fabulous but three, and while you may not want a three course+ dinner you will probably need some super if your like me. How about doing dim sum at http://www.yauatcha.com/

You could do things that very few tourists see, go for breakfast at the cock tavern (before 8am) in Smithfield market, a real working English pub and as you’d expect bellow the meat market that the traders visit, a real English breakfast. And even at 8am join the traders in a pint.

Also what about St John, you don’t have to do the full on restaurant you drop into the bar and sample some of the food, great for lunch and is generally under £20 with a drink, you’ll get the idea of what St John is about and if it takes your fancy you could book for dinner.

Another interesting one for lunch is North Road that has the Nordic vibe and the set lunch is outstanding value and the tasting menu (not done yet but want to) looks excellent.

I’m sure everyone else can suggest loads of other places and since it’s your last visit I think you should do the top of the tree things like the Fat Duck or the Waterside. Also try some of the up and coming things, local restaurants etc etc.

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

A couple of my favorite spots in London. More modest perhaps at Ffiona's on upper church street. She won an award for best British food. Very idiosyncratic but fun.

Clarkes. Sally still does a fantastic job.

Also a pub on Church street called The Churchill Arms. Nice pubbut the Thai resto in back is super.

Take a train trip (or long cab ride) east of Redding to Little Bedwyn to a resto called The Harrow. Roger Jones and his wife Sue do a wonderful job.

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

You would be very lucky indeed to get a table in May at Le Gavroche. We had to book two months in advance for lunch. The same would apply to the Fat Duck.

Its worth applying straight away, giving your dates, and asking to inform you if they get a cancellation.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Thanks for all the suggestions so far....we already have all of our reservations made, but we are NOT opposed to canceling any of them for something different. We just felt it was important to make the reservations early, which proved to be true. Will try Fat Duck and see if any openings.

We WILL try for a couple of the suggestions given,we are always ready for something new, and LOVE the idea of early morning breakfast at the market. Sounds like fun! Taking trains, buses, tube, or taxi to get where needed, is no problem.

Have made note of all the suggestions, please keep any coming. Yes, we are from USA, and do love England, so have really looked forward to visiting again. Now having joined eGullet, have discovered so many options.

Thanks to all, appreciate all ideas! :wub:

If you're heading our way in the late Spring/Summer then Petersham Nurseries, on the outskirts of London and accessible by train, is beyond idyllic. It's a cafe/restaurant set in the grounds of a beautiful old garden/garden centre. You eat from linen covered tables surrounded by wisteria, jasmine, old wood, dirt floors, weathered wheelbarrows, primulas. It's just amazing, short but very eatable (?) menu- they won their first Michelin star earlier this year but have been amassing awards for ages.

http://www.petershamnurseries.com/

I would give consideration to sketch for afternoon tea or even dinner. Atelier Robouchon has a two course lunch / afternoon tea offer of sorts you can book on toptable or squaremeal. The newly refurbed Savoy may be worth a look too, some mixed reviews but they spent over £200 million on the job.

Of the Dinners I would consider The Ledbury, if you like Italian Apsleys, or why not give Jason Athertons newly opend Pollen St Social a try.

Smiths of Smithfield is not bad for breakfast, not quite as gritty as the pub mentioned above. More local business types than the market people. Lookout for a coffee shop called dose espresso nearby for some very good coffee.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of traveling too far, unless you can get a fat duck reservation, or fancy a trip to the coast in kent to visit The Sportsman at Seasalter.

Martin

If you're heading our way in the late Spring/Summer then Petersham Nurseries, on the outskirts of London and accessible by train, is beyond idyllic. It's a cafe/restaurant set in the grounds of a beautiful old garden/garden centre. You eat from linen covered tables surrounded by wisteria, jasmine, old wood, dirt floors, weathered wheelbarrows, primulas. It's just amazing, short but very eatable (?) menu- they won their first Michelin star earlier this year but have been amassing awards for ages.

http://www.petershamnurseries.com/

Immediately looked at the web site, our kind of garden/cafe place...we are going to Kew Gardens also, but this looks SO welcoming, we'll give it a try for lunch if possible. many thanks.

I would give consideration to sketch for afternoon tea or even dinner. Atelier Robouchon has a two course lunch / afternoon tea offer of sorts you can book on toptable or squaremeal. The newly refurbed Savoy may be worth a look too, some mixed reviews but they spent over £200 million on the job.

Of the Dinners I would consider The Ledbury, if you like Italian Apsleys, or why not give Jason Athertons newly opend Pollen St Social a try.

Smiths of Smithfield is not bad for breakfast, not quite as gritty as the pub mentioned above. More local business types than the market people. Lookout for a coffee shop called dose espresso nearby for some very good coffee.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of traveling too far, unless you can get a fat duck reservation, or fancy a trip to the coast in kent to visit The Sportsman at Seasalter.

Going to check these places out on web, again, thanks for all ideas. :laugh:

I'll second St. John's (the one by Smithfield Market), and I really recommend eating in the main restaurant. Fergus Henderson pioneered simple, nose-to-tail cookery with the finest English ingredients, and there's really nowhere else in the world like it.

Definitely superior to anything Gordon Ramsay has done, in my opinion.

I've been to st. John's twice, and had two completely delightful meals. It's not a place that wears it's stars on it's sleeve.

I'm also fond of Hix Oyster House nearby, which is unheralded but quite tasty, at least to my Yankee sensibility.

Thanks again to all of you who have taken the time to give us ideas for our trip. We have made notes of each and every place, and are working at fitting each and EVERY one of them into our schedule.

Sounds like we'll be doing more eating than touring while there :cool: .

Sounds like we'll be doing more eating than touring while there :cool: .

With some indication of your intended waypoints, you might get some useful suggestions for convenient local opportunities.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

You may also want to consider Rules - which is about as "traditional British" by way of an experience as you're likely to want. London's oldest restaurant - damn good food also, IMO. Might well work to complement some of the more modernista places in your consideration.

http://www.rules.co.uk/

John Hartley

Oh - another suggestion. Lunch only and weekdays only. Sweetings.

It's in the City, has been around since the 1780s or so, has counter seating only, and the best seafood I've had in my life (maybe except for Tsukiji market in Tokyo). Incredible fresh turbot, potted shrimp, oysters (get the Isle of Mersea oysters from their own farm there) - everything absolutely first rate.

Drink beer to accompany out of hallmarked silver pint cups from the 18th century, or wines from an excellent selection of Chablis, aligoté, Pouilly-Fouisse, and more.

Very much a stockbroker crowd - but this is a one-of-a-kind joint, well worth visiting.

Sweetings sounds like a great idea, we will be spending one day in the City, so this would be good lunch spot.

Again, thanks to you all for helping us come up with new ideas, we just keep adding them to our lists; each one will help to make our trip a first class adventure!