• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Salted Eggs

Shortly before my mother left for her 4-month stint "back home", she bought some salted eggs. I think she had planned to bring them with her, but she forgot. She says they were the best salted eggs she's had in a long time.

I'm not going to eat them, but I'd like to save them for her if I can. Options:

Leave out in the open until she returns (mid July)--no air conditioning in the house, so room temp may be relatively high by mid-July.

Refrigerate

Freeze--in shell or out?

Which option will provide the best result? (i.e. least degradation of product)

(FWIW, I thought there was a similar topic, but could not find it.)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I think that's pretty hard decision on how to preserve it. I guess they will not be okay to eat in a few weeks or a month. I've tried storing a few salted eggs before in a refrigerator and it got rotten and had a bad smell after a few weeks. How about experimenting some recipes where you can use some of those salted eggs?