• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta, be proud!

frdagaa

I'm in NYC and the last three nights we ate at Le Bernadin, Per Se, and Babbo. Very good meals, all. But what I took away was that my meals at Seeger's, The Dining Room, Joel, Bacchanalia, The Quinones Room, Woodfire Grill, and Restaurant Eugene held there own, thank you very much. Soto Soto holds uppretty well against Babbo too. Of course not all of these are on the same level (e.g. Woodfire would never try to compete with Per Se .. different styles of restaurants...) and also, TOO MANY OF THE REALLY FINE ATLANTA RESTAURANTS IN ATLANTA HAVE CLOSED!!! (dammit). So I would never claim that the restaurant scene in ATL is as good as NYC.

But we have a lot to be proud of among our best restaurants.

Now if we could only bring back (and adequately support so that it stays open!) another Seeger's or Dining Room, we'd be in great shape.

Chip Wilmot

Lack of wit can be a virtue

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly! We have much to be proud of here in Atlanta beautiful city, rich history and AMAZING restaurants. I have two questions for Atlantans, and foodies in general; Why did it take so long for us to have our own Food & Wine festival? (This is the inaugural year, EXCITED!)Do you think that Atlanta is ready to join the ranks of the Michelin cities? (Chicago, L.A., and NYC)

Atlanta isn't Michelin-ready, IMO. Not enough high end restaurants. The Michelin stars are given for elegance, service, attention to detail, the dining experience. The food is a part of it but does not trump the other considerations. So I think Woodfire Grill wouldn't even be considered for 1 star. Just not that type of place. Baccanalia, Restaurant Eugene, Quinones Room are the only places that I can think of that might earn a star. No 2 star places here now. The dining room and Seegers were 2 or 3 star type of places, though they had enough faults that even 2 stars might have been a stretch.

I think Atlanta is pretty good at the mid-level restaurants. Holeman and Finch, Abtoir, Canoe, Fourth and Swift, Two Urban Licks, those types of places. But those are not on the Michelin radar screen.

Chip Wilmot

Lack of wit can be a virtue

Okay then, what about down and dirty Atlanta? Holes in the wall, cheap hot spots, legendary funky places, carts, wagons, farmers' markets, etc?

My daughter will be going to grad school at Emory starting in August. Considering how little grant money seems to be available at grad schools these days, Michelin stars are not going to be an option--not that they are now anyway.

After five years of visiting her in Walla Walla, this will really be a culture shock, since I don't believe I have ever been in any state that could be considered southeastern, at least within memory.

I suppose you are right on service and decor, etc... However, a concern for 3 star restaurants is small considering Chicago only has 2 if I'm correct? But you are correct. And as far as small restaurants in atlanta for a college budget, there are a TON. The only problem is that EVERYONE has their own favorite place so your best bet is to ask around. Fat Matt's.

Edited by MNMoody (log)