• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Dallas] Restaurants good for vegetarians

jsmeeker

I need some suggestions for a restaurant in Dallas that don't treat vegetarians as an after thought. But I'm not looking for a "vegetarian restaurant". I mean, I gotta eat there too!! I wish York Street was still around. I think that might have been a good pick. I don't think I am limited by type of cuisine, though. So, open to lots of suggestions!

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I don't know easygoing your guests are (as vegetarians go), but as the renegade in family of vegetarians, I've found that Italian (primi are often not meat-based) and Asian restaurants are generally pretty good bets (I don't know Dallas at all, but it must have some good restaurants in these categories). My family is vegetarian for ethical, not health reasons, so 'taking a night off' isn't an option, but they don't grill waitstaff (so the presence of well-hidden meat byproducts is likely to be off their radar), and they do eat eggs and dairy.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I don't know easygoing your guests are (as vegetarians go), but as the renegade in family of vegetarians, I've found that Italian (primi are often not meat-based) and Asian restaurants are generally pretty good bets (I don't know Dallas at all, but it must have some good restaurants in these categories). My family is vegetarian for ethical, not health reasons, so 'taking a night off' isn't an option, but they don't grill waitstaff (so the presence of well-hidden meat byproducts is likely to be off their radar), and they do eat eggs and dairy.

Thanks for the general tips. I was thinking Inidan would be a pretty decent selection, but I don't know much about Indian places around here. Not that there aren't any. But I am not too familair with them. As far as western cuisine goes (I personally lean to the west), Italian came to mind too.

My guest is pretty easy going, which is good. :) Last time I had dinner with her, she had a few fish courses.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Look for an Indian restaurant that either specializes in, or has a large selection, of South Indian dishes. We did a tasting several years ago at the one in the old Sakowitz Village (don't recall the name of the restaurant or new name for the center, but it is between Montfort and the Tollway starting at Beltline and strerching southward). I have not eaten there in recent years, but it was excellent. I'll try to find the name of the restaurant, but I am pretty sure it is the only one in the center.

If fish is okay in a dish, you really have a lot of Asian options. Vegetable dishes with or without fish, of course. For two inexpensive options: Thai-riffic remains my standby for Thai, but there are some newcomers I have not tried. Royal Szechuan for Chinese (for authentic) - lots of vegetable dishes, and be sure to check out the appetizer bar.

Tei An for Japanese - call and ask about the tasting menu, a terrific experience.