• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Boulevardier cocktail

jsmeeker

I was introduced to this drink last night during a VERY rare weekday night out of drinking while NOT on vacation. The good thing about this outing was I was with a bunch of cocktail nerds like myself at a bar that does a pretty decent job of catering to us.

Anyway.. I was considering a drink and chatting with others. I wanted something bourbon based. Earlier, I had shared my fondness for Campari. So, they suggested a Boulevardier. It was made with Bourbon, Campari, and Sweet Vertmouth. Poking around a little suggests that it can be made with Rye, though my drinking companions suggested the drink made with rye had a different name. Also, I am not exactly sure on the ratios. I thought they had said "equal parts" since it was "like a Negroni, but with gin"

In any case, I thought it was tasty. And now I have another way to use Campari.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

The Boulevardier is definitely a bourbon drink. When it moves into rye, then you're talking about a 1794 cocktail. With dry vermouth and rye, you've got an Old Pal.

I prefer a drink with unequal parts, too. Like 3:2:1 on the Boulevardier, as I find the equal parts is too heavy on the Campari and the bourbon has a hard time coming through.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Mitch, those proportions are bourbon:vermouth:campari?

I think I first heard about the 1794 from Avery Glasser (here), who indicates that it also incorporates Bittermens mole bitters, but I can't find any substantiation of that in recipes published elsewhere on the web.

eta: It's a nice drink, either way. The Negroni is the gift that keeps on giving, and is rivaled in that respect perhaps only by the Manhattan.

Yes, Dave. And the mole bitters work just fine! Of course, the proportions are play with-able.

1794 - via Dominic in SF at Range:

1 1/2 oz Rye

3/4 oz Sweet Vermouth

3/4 oz Campari

1-2 dash Xocolatl Mole Bitter

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 year later...

I've never been a fan of the Boulevardier even though I love Campari. I use Ted Haigh's ratios from Vintage Spirits and Forgotten cocktails (1.5:1:1 bourbon:campari:sweet vermouth). It is somewhat tolerable with a maraschino cherry garnish, but for me the bourbon and Campari clash big time. Overall it tastes very sweet and intensely bitter. It feels harsh and doesn't have a pleasant finish.

I liked the 1794 (on the right in the photo) much better. It was a more harmonious cocktail with a slow build-up where the spice was followed by orange flavors and then mellowed into a bitter chocolate finish (I used the mole bitters).

8593253619_4abcf40888_z.jpg

The Old Pal is very good when made with Gran Classico instead of Campari. (Not sure whether that merits a new name. Old Buddy? New Pal? Pen Pal?)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

I think they're both fine drinks, but that's just me. Adjusting the ratios, different sweets, etc. all make for a slightly different cocktail.

For instance, I like my 1794 2 to 1 to .5.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

@frog - That Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is quite sweet. That might be what tips you over the edge on a Boulevardier. That said, I agree that the 1794 is even better.

You could try a Perfect Boulevardier to see if that makes it more to your liking.

... wait, you said "intensely bitter" like that's a bad thing. :huh:

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

@frog - That Cocchi Vermouth di Torino is quite sweet. That might be what tips you over the edge on a Boulevardier. That said, I agree that the 1794 is even better.

You could try a Perfect Boulevardier to see if that makes it more to your liking.

... wait, you said "intensely bitter" like that's a bad thing. :huh:

I tried the Boulevardier (Ted Haigh ratios) with different vermouths in the past and was not sold either. This was just the latest attempt. I try to keep an open mind and regularly revisit these cocktails that I am supposed to like. :smile:

I like (love) intensely bitter but it has to work with the other components. I did not like intensely bitter with the bourbon, it just clashed for me. Just not my thing.

For me, wheras the Negroni is crisp and bracing, I find the Boulevarddier to be warm and spicy. I probably drink more of the former than the latter, but I love 'em both.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

A less bitter cocktail which we found ourselves returning to again and again this winter (and ala Sam as well) is the Grandfather...

1 bourbon / 1 Applejack BIB / 1 Antica / dash peychauds / dash ango / cherry garnish

Tasty Travails - My Blog

The Old Pal is very good when made with Gran Classico instead of Campari. (Not sure whether that merits a new name. Old Buddy? New Pal? Pen Pal?)

Hipster Pal? ;)

Seems a bit too obvious but perhaps Gran/Grand Pal? or Classic Pal?

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Hipster Pal? ;)

Oh, the Old Pal? Yeah, I liked it back when it was the New Pal.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Hipster Pal? ;)

Seems a bit too obvious but perhaps Gran/Grand Pal? or Classic Pal?

Grand Old Pal's good, if a little Republican-leaning.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com