• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best place in NYC (or nearby) to buy spices

Is where?

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What about the place on Lex near Kalustyans? Over the years a couple of people have told me it's better.

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

What about the place on Lex near Kalustyans? Over the years a couple of people have told me it's better.

Actually, at one point Suvir told me it was better. Or at least he felt that some of their spices were fresher. But, I think we're nitpicking now. I don't know if you've been to Kalustyan's lately, but their selection of spices and dried herbs is overwhelming. They're not the cheapest kids on the block, but it's one-stop shopping.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Foods of India/Sinha trading; it's right next door. My recollection is that it is also less expensive than Kalustyan's, though it also smaller. Certainly, between the two of them, there is very little you won't be able to get.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

To Kalustyan and Penzeys I'd add the Integral Yoga shop on the south side of 13th, between 6th and 7th Avenues, because they sell from bulk, which means you can get really small amounts of things you are curious about, but not necessarily committed to. You can also save the little bags, and reuse 'em. You just have to give things a quick sniff to make sure they haven't lost the fragrance, which can happen with some of the less popular selections.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Foods of India/Sinha trading; it's right next door. My recollection is that it is also less expensive than Kalustyan's, though it also smaller. Certainly, between the two of them, there is very little you won't be able to get.

I'll second this. I shop at both all the time (I live a few blocks away). Foods of India - directly adjacent to Kalustyan's on the right - is your go-to for anything Indian. The spices are often fresher, and the prices can literally be 50% of Kalustyan's.

They don't have much that isn't Indian - some Mexican chiles etc. - so for anything Thai, Persian etc. I tend to buy at Kalustyan's.

Also compare their prices on rice, ghee, chiles etc. - a fraction of Kalustyan's. Don't get me wrong, I love the big K, and it's a much easier and more comfortable shopping experience (the spices are alphabetized for one thing), but Foods of India has a lot to offer, both in freshness and price.

I like Kalustyan's and Penzey's.

+1, although I should give honorable mention to the place next door to Kalustyan's (Foods of India?) esp. since I think they have slightly better quality although their range isn't nearly as broad or varied as their main competitor.

It's been a while since I've been down in that neck of Lexington Avenue. I'm making an excursion later this week as I have a sudden craving for homemade chaat.

• 2 months later...

Don't forget Sahadi's in Brooklyn, and the two other Middle Eastern groceries on the South side of Atlantic, especially for Middle Eastern mixes like ras el hanout, ground mahleb cherries, and even mastic gum!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban