• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cold morning, HOT cereal

stellabella

How do you like your grits, Nick?

With miso soup? :smile:

Gah.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Grits are wonderful, especially when eaten with jambalaya or Cajun spice-rubbed broiled pork chops, smothered in a sauce of tomatoes, peppers, andouille sausage, onions, garlic and spices.

I wonder if you can substitute them for hominy in posole. (Probably not though.)

SA

Heh - oatmeal with brown sugar, nuts and raisins. Remembering that I'm talking about outings with Scouts, instant grits with some torn-up dried beef in it...sodium OD, but it sticks to your ribs.....

Never EVER get oatmeal at a restaurant...they scoop the overcooked stuff out of a pot.........it'd make great wallpaper paste.

Oh, yeah - and if you deep-fry prepared cream of wheat, it doesn't change texture or color.

Edited by stagis (log)

I'm with you, cakewalk! Cream of Wheat only I cook it with milk, top it with brown sugar first and let it melt before adding the cream just around the edges. If you put the cream on before the sugar melts, the sugar gets washed away.

I very often have it for a comforting supper!

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

wawairis, I'm with you on the grits. In fact I stood in the cereal aisle for a long time staring at the grits as well as the Irish oats (now wondering why I didn't buy both). I love to make my grits on the thicker side,  then dot with butter, salt and pepper, sprinkle on some grated sharp cheddar cheese and run it under the broiler. Great with a side of scrambled eggs and hot sauce.

Argggghhhh! You're killing me! Grits with cheese and hot sauce? I'm definitely there!

:laugh::laugh:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

speaking of comforting suppers, i had hot cereal for supper last night. i used up the last of my moost recent blend--i had thrown some carraway seeds into it. for the record, it was a bit too exotic, when what i really want is comfort. but still good with sliced banana, banana yogurt and crystallized cane sugar.

Do grits count or are they too low class?  I could have them everyday with butter, salt, pepper.  Unfortunately I live in the North East and it's almost impossible to find them served in restaurants.

No no no. Grits are great. The polenta of America. Wonderful with sauteed collard greens and slabs of ham.

Heehee! Sorry I was being facetious about the low brow grit thing...

:raz:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Here is the treat: McCann's steel cut "Irish Oatmeal", yes, first toasted in a pan (but without butter, dry, constantly stirring and shaking), cooked in slightly salted water, topped with a lump of fresh unsalted Butter (the European kind), a large dollop creme fraiche and sprinkled with Demarara Sugar for crunchyness. Don't even want lunch.

The other thing is Grits cooked in milk, pinch of sugar, an eggyolk at the end, a lump of butter and beaten eggwhites folded in.

Gives your cheeks that puffed up look of Michelangelo's cupits. :rolleyes:

Peter