• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pasta Extruders: 2011-

Chris Amirault

The current pasta topic in the cooking forum has me interested.  What is a good extruder?

I see Lello listed on Amazon.  I've had three pasta makers, one Cuisinart and two Simac.  Just like the ice cream makers of the same brands, I'm sure all these machines are made in the same factory in Italy or China.  The dies are all exactly the same, and now I have a bizzillion dies.

My currant machine still almost works, but I'd have to defeat the broken safety mechanism.  Then, when I extrude my arm the jury would just laugh at me.  Plus I have to bang on it with a rubber mallet just to get it together or take the thing apart.  As much as I'd love to repurpose my expensive dies, I'd rather have something that just worked.

Manual would be OK as long as there was enough leverage that an old person could turn it.  Surely there must be some solution in the whole wide world.  I wouldn't flinch (too much) at a thousand dollars, but commercial machines are beyond my means.  I'm more looking for an extruder, rather than a pasta maker per se.  Preferably not with plastic dies.

Any suggestions?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 3 years later...

Hearing none...

KA03162020.png

Wish I had $10,000 to lay down on a pasta extruder but I don't.  I had (and may still have) an older KitchenAid extruder that extruded horizontally.  Didn't Galileo prove that unless you were on the space station gravity affected pasta?  Extruding pasta horizontally is asking for trouble. 

The new kitchenAid extruder arrived tonight, and the first thing I tested was if my old Simac dies would fit.  They do!  A sad day when DeLonghi subsumed Simac.  Sort of like a capitalistic black hole.

Dinner03162020.png

Dinner was maccheroni quadrifoglio with walnut sauce.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

that looks very very cool

maybe this fall .....

What better time than when store shelves are out of pasta?  Plus the KA extruder is on sale at the moment!

• Like 1

I noticed that the hoarders that stripped the grocery store shelves of wheat-flour pasta left behind the alternative flours pastas (lentil pasta, rice pasta, etc). ¬¬

Thank goodness the hoarders haven't expanded their culinary horizons. xD

• Haha 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

51 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

nice  nice and nice !

esp Nice w he sale 

BTW  

good luck finding Yeast these says 

SAF  or others 

pasta it the way to go

with the four y9uer have 

congratulations 

Thankfully I have about a pound and a half of SAF.  And when that's gone I'll learn to make sourdough.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thankfully I have about a pound and a half of SAF.  And when that's gone I'll learn to make sourdough.

Nancy Silverton does a great primer on natural yeasts in several of her books. If library closed you have time to play :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cookies03212020.png

I decided to try spaghetti cookies!

Interesting, but I'm not likely to assay these a second time, at least not with the dough I used.  It clogged up the KitchenAid extruder something awful.  Cleanup was a horrid mess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

@Smithy the cookies were cookie dough extruded through the KA spaghetti die.  I also extruded a baking sheet of cookies through an old Simac die actually intended for extruding cookies.  Those were pretty but alas they overbaked.  And pretty doesn't help with the cleanup mess.

• Like 2

Back to pasta...

Candele03262020.png

Since Supermarket Italy could not supply the artisan candele I had ordered -- KitchenAid candele.  Marc Vetri version from Rustic Italian Food.  Since Vetri uses the KitchenAid extruder it is no surprise there was little waste or mess or cleanup.  A half recipe made two dozen candele.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

On 3/16/2020 at 1:39 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hearing none...

KA03162020.png

Wish I had $10,000 to lay down on a pasta extruder but I don't.  I had (and may still have) an older KitchenAid extruder that extruded horizontally.  Didn't Galileo prove that unless you were on the space station gravity affected pasta?  Extruding pasta horizontally is asking for trouble. 

The new kitchenAid extruder arrived tonight, and the first thing I tested was if my old Simac dies would fit.  They do!  A sad day when DeLonghi subsumed Simac.  Sort of like a capitalistic black hole.

Dinner03162020.png

Dinner was maccheroni quadrifoglio with walnut sauce.

I have an older KA pasta extruder model.  I've used it a couple of times but have had difficulty getting the correct consistency so it extrudes.  Do you use different doughs for the different extrusion plates?

Would you be so kind as to post the recipe you are using to make such lovely pasta?  Please and thank you.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I have an older KA pasta extruder model.  I've used it a couple of times but have had difficulty getting the correct consistency so it extrudes.  Do you use different doughs for the different extrusion plates?

Would you be so kind as to post the recipe you are using to make such lovely pasta?  Please and thank you.

For the maccheroni quadrifoglio  I used the Serious Eats fresh pasta recipe:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/fresh-egg-pasta.html

This is my go to recipe for fresh pasta.  (I cheat and throw it in the food processor.)  For purposes of extrusion I added a bit less egg white to make a drier dough that does not quite come together.  While the results were delicious, extruding the egg dough was a bit messy.  By comparison fresh egg dough is a joy to prepare using the KitchenAid KSMPRA Roller & Cutter attachment.

For the candele I followed Marc Vetri's recipe from Rustic Italian Food.  The recipe is not mine to give away, however the ingredients are semolina and water.  I recommend the book.  As I mentioned above this was easy and almost no mess.

• Like 2

Using my KitchenAid meatgrinder tonight, I came across my old KitchenAid extruder.  What a disappointing attachment!  @Okanagancook you might want to splurge for the new one that extrudes vertically.

• Thanks 1

@Okanagancook just so there's no miscommunication:  when you say you have the older KA extruder, do you mean you have the previous incarnation of the vertical extruder or the ancient horizontal pasta extruder that works with the meat grinder attachment?  As far as I know any of the KA vertical extruder attachments should work just fine.

As mentioned in another thread my beautiful Vetri candele cracked.  Next time I'd only dry them for a few hours.