• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooked squid with hot sauce from the Korean market

I picked up some cooked squid from a local Korean market. It said it was boiled. One squid was packaged and came in at just under a pound. It was sliced in 1/4 inch rings and the tentacles were packed as well (almost like small octopi legs) It was firm but not overly chewy. The sauce in the small container packed alongside was the standard hot pepper paste with added sugar and sesame oil - very thick and sweet. If this is a standard item, how is it served? It seems like a great snack with cocktails. I have been eating it cold or letting it come to room temp. It is chewy enough that I can't really wrap it in shiso with rice. Thanks for any input.

I think it's served with chojang. If so, I eat it as a side dish. I don't really consider it a main component to a meal unless it's oijeongo bokeum (stir fried spicy squid). It also makes a great drinking snack side dish, so however you're eating it seems right to me! As long as you enjoy it you can eat it any way you want.

Fun fact: When I was little my mom served boiled squid to my sister and I with ketchup because chojang was too spicy for us. It looked liked chojang and made us feel grown up.

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh one of my favourite meals, and yes I have had it as a main...But hey I was a kid, and it was so good. My mom and I used to just buy nice looking squid, slice them up, briefly blanch them and then my brother and I fought over the tentacles, and how much sauce the other person was gorging. :rolleyes: Usually it is eaten as a snack, or anju (food you eat when drinking), and once I got it as part of my birthday meal!

So, you are eating it I guess correctly, although I cannot see a way to eat it incorrectly, as long as you enjoy it! I am jealous you can just go to a store and buy it.

Edited because I was not finished...

Edited by milgwimper (log)