• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fennel Sauerkraut

gfweb

I just saw a recipe for a dish that includes "fennel sauerkraut" and got excited at the prospect. Unfortunately it was sliced sauteed fennel, not fermented fennel. What do you think...could one treat fennel like cabbage and get sauerfennel?

So I have a one gallon batch of this hopefully fermenting right now. I work with a catering company and we make really creative food from scratch. It was the exec's idea. It is fermenting next to my 2 gallon batch of red kraut. One thing I have noticed is that two days in it has given off less moisture than the cabbage does. I went 3 tbl spoon salt to 5 lbs of fennel. I'll let you know what we end up with

• 1 month later...

saurfennel.jpg

So I made a batch of fermented fennel in a pickl-it jar; a vented mason jar that excludes oxygen by means of a little water trap.

Sliced the veg on a mandolin and layered it with salt in the jar; packed it tight and sealed it. A day later there wasn't enough liquid to cover the slices so I added brine. After a day or two there was more fluid exuded and a good deal of shrinkage...to the point where I feared that the volume of the headspace would be too great for the CO2 produced to push out all the O2 that remained.

Six weeks later it looked about the same except for a brown cast to the uppermost fennel and a bit of scummy microbial-looking stuff on the surface.

The taste? Salty fennel with most of the sweetness removed and a bitter note substituted. Soaking it didn't help much.

Anyone ever have any success with pickling fennel?

The only way I have pickled fennel is in a sweet-sour pickling solution - the same that I use for bread and butter pickles.

I also add it to a gardinere mix that includes celery, carrots, peppers, onion, garlic &etc., in the same type of pickling liquid.

I put them in a lime-water solution overnight, after slicing, to keep them crisp, otherwise it is just boil the pickling liquid and pour it over the raw (treated) vegetables and let them "work" in the fridge.

I've made sauerkraut but not with fennel.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett