• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck fat versus Goose Fat

abadoozy

I just recently rendered down goose fat for the first time, and I'm surprised at the difference between it and duck fat. The rendered duck fat I've made is pure white, and has a very light, almost neutral taste.

The goose fat is golden, and has a much richer taste. I just put a tiny bit in some scrambled eggs and it definitely came through, whereas the times I've used duck fat, it comes through, but much, much lighter.

Is this typical? I'm not complaining about either - I like them both - I was just wondering if this difference is to be expected.

Is this typical? I'm not complaining about either - I like them both - I was just wondering if this difference is to be expected.

I don't think it's universal. I've got French goose fat here that's snow white, and Chinese duck fat I rendered myself that's darker - the opposite of your experience.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.