• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastry and chocolate shops in Boston

FWED

Hi I am going to be in Boston attending my niece's wedding next weekend and will have a little spare time. I would appreciate any recommendations for wonderful European style pastries and artisan chocolates. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Fred Rowe

I have a slight preference for Maria's over Modern in the North End, but I don't go to either frequently enough to tell you for certain that this preference isn't imagined.

You can buy chocolates (as well as one of the richest cups of hot chocolate you'll ever find) from LA Burdick in Harvard Square. Somerville MA is home to Taza Chocolate, who makes stone-ground, Mexican-style chocolate bars. You can find them in many stores in the area.

There's lots more on pastries in this chowhound topic.

Edited by emannths (log)

Other Boston pastry favorites:

Flour Bakery & Cafe

Finale Desserterie & Bakery

There are some good neighborhood bakeries, if you're planning on venturing out of the downtown area. Two personal favorites:

Canto 6, in Jamaica Plain (no website that I can find). excellent brioche, croissants, and cannelles.

Danish Pastry House, a bit further afield in Watertown and Medford. Their marzipan-filled pastries, especially their kringle, are amazing.

Additional chocolate recommendations:

Hotel Chocolat, downtown Boston

Serenade Chocolatier in nearby Brookline Village

Tazo Chocolate, mentioned above, offers factory tours in nearby Somerville

I

You can buy chocolates (as well as one of the richest cups of hot chocolate you'll ever find) from LA Burdick in Harvard Square.

Avoid the cakes, though, when I've had them the slices are stale from sitting out too long. And wee tiny slices they are, too.

Edited by Moopheus (log)

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science