• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Steak in town

Monica Bhide

This is not a place for a porterhouse or great ribeye or anything fancy but for a unique experience:

Annie's Paramount Steakhouse near Dupont Circle (on 17th St, I think) has something called an Athenian Broil that is a skirt steak marinated with olive oil and herbs, and it is one of the beefiest dishes I've ever had. (So are most of the customers, who would never pay attention to me but might have given Paul the once-over.)

I am amazed to hear Annie's cooks a delicious steak. I mean, they are a steakhouse, yes, but they're the sort of steakhouse where you don't have to be ashamed of asking for ketchup with your T-bone.

Annie's does have good breakfast, though, and we used to go there for overstrong alcoholic beverages and French toast after clubhopping back in my Dupont Circle days. And the eye candy can't be beat, since I don't mind that none of the pretty boys are interested in my type. Annie's is indeed on 17th Street, NW, between Q and Corcoran Streets. Metro to Dupont Circle.

For a town lousy with meat eaters, DC has really failed to produce a top quality steakhouse. If you like Prime Rib, The Prime Rib is very good, but that's really not a steak per se. Sam & Harry's, on the right night, can be extremely good, but their beef is inconsistent (based on at least 20 visits) and their cooking unreliable. The Palm is no better in DC than it is in NY, which is to say not good. Ditto Les Halles, where I had a very rubbery and bland onglet last year. I once had a good steak at the Capitol Grill. I haven't tried the new Smith & Wollensky's, but their out of town restaurants (Vegas, notably) are better than the NY original. The only other place of note would be Old Ebbitt, where I had a very good steak recently -- not great, but the atmosphere can't be beat.

As for Morton's, any place that wet ages their meat isn't even worth discussing.

For a town lousy with meat eaters, DC has really failed to produce a top quality steakhouse.  If you like Prime Rib, The Prime Rib is very good, but that's really not a steak per se.  Sam & Harry's, on the right night, can be extremely good, but their beef is inconsistent (based on at least 20 visits) and their cooking unreliable.  The Palm is no better in DC than it is in NY, which is to say not good.  Ditto Les Halles, where I had a very rubbery and bland onglet last year.  I once had a good steak at the Capitol Grill.  I haven't tried the new Smith & Wollensky's, but their out of town restaurants (Vegas, notably) are better than the NY original.  The only other place of note would be Old Ebbitt, where I had a very good steak recently -- not great, but the atmosphere can't be beat.

As for Morton's, any place that wet ages their meat isn't even worth discussing.

You're breaking my heart.... comeone there has to be one good place?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

• 4 weeks later...

The best steak and town can be made at home. Go to one of those fancy shmancy gourmet grocery stores, pick up a USDA PRIME Porterhouse, sear it in a pan, and finish it in the oven. Deglaze the pan with a little red wine and VOILA, the best steak in town.

Can't be beat. If you're not satisfied with the results, I'll come over and cook it for you. You buy the steaks!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Welcome Al!

I agree with you that a very good steak can be made at home. The only caveat is that good ventilation is essential.

I'm partial to the bone-in "cowboy cut" rib steak myself, but there's something to be said for a good porterhouse.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

Well, we like the Prime Rib. Not only do they cook them the way we like them, but it's a place in which you feel you are getting your money's worth ($$$). It has a quiet, classy atmosphere, and men have to wear ties. So the issue for us is not only where are the best steaks, but where is the best place to eat steaks.

LARRY W

How is the DC Les halles?

The last time we ate at the DC Les Halles the frites were very disappointing, soggy and bland, and my steak (hanger) was overcooked. It had been a couple of years since we had eaten there so I'm not sure if it's gone downhill or we were there on an off day. For a $100 lunch I was expecting more.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

I agree with you that a very good steak can be made at home.  The only caveat is that good ventilation is essential. 

Absolutely! My husband likes to cook steak at home, but even with the exhaust fan going full-blast my house still smells like meat for days afterward. Makes me long for a professional range hood...

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Capitol Grille dry ages their beef -- a disconcerting site if you haven't seen it before, their meatlocker has a window near the entrance. Nick and Steph's is pretty good, make sure there's no one playing at the MCI Center before you go. I'm partial to Sam and Harry's Cajun Ribeye, with the horsradish sour cream sauce, as well, and the Palm, but it's about the Palm, not about the meat there.

Best steaks I get are when my wife flies back from Denver with the dry-aged primes from the little butcher shop near our old house. Used to walking distance, now I have to pay 50 bucks just to get something almost as good.

Ask me about "shaving."

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.