• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: Vegas Uncork'd 2011

Thank you, David. I love the idea of the plated buffet. It sounds as if the food looked better than it tasted, but I think I would go just for the little fryer baskets of chicken and waffles. And the price seems right. Wish I had been at Payard with you. Nice traditional menu.

Thank you. The plated food at The Wicked Spoon was much better than the typical trays of food at most of the other buffets. Some people have commented on other sites that the pre-plated food is an attempt to avoid waste-i.e. it's cheaper to put out little crocks of crab legs and only replace them as needed as opposed to a groaning tray of boiled crab legs that may go uneaten. I think it's a combination of two things-only putting out food as it is taken (and thus controlling waste and cost), but more importantly, it's a matter of giving the kitchen more latitude in the types of offerings on the buffet and presents the customer with a more contemporary style of dining.

Payard is one of my favorites in Las Vegas. While I enjoy the high-end French rooms of Savoy and Gagnaire, I prefer the small-Bistro feel and traditional dishes at Payard. And who can not like Francois? A Chef with a glass of red wine or cognac in his hand is a wonderful Host.

Friday, May 6-

"Culinary Revelations, Shabu-Shabu" Jasmine Restaurant Bellagio.

One of the most popular series of events at Uncork'd are the "Culinary Revelations" where guests have the opportunity to cook interactively with the Chefs and then have a taste of their creations. (Remember Ross and Meeker cooking whole fish in a salt crust at Wynn last year? Read about it here). I've never cooked a Chinese "Hotpot" so I was intrigued to try my skill at the art of "swish-swish."

Hotpot (Chinese) is an ancient dish that become popular in China during the Tang Dynasty AD 618-906. Meaning "swish swish," Shabu-Shabu (Japanese), or Hotpot, is a hearty, warming dish composed of hot broth placed in the center of a communal table and accompanied by meats, seafood, vegetables and noodles (China), or rice (Japan). Diners simply dip the garnishes into the hot broth and "swish" it around until it is done. A variety of different types of broths may be used, and the flavor of the broth develops and deepens as the meats, seafood, vegetables and then noodles are added. At the end of the meal the broth turns into a flavorful, rich soup.

The table setting for Shabu-Shabu-

033.JPG

Chef Philip Lo of Jasmine and Bellagio Executive Chef Edmund Wong were our instructors, and they started with an opener of Avocado Stuffed with Crab, Preserved Lemon, Compressed Watermelon and Bonito Gelee. This week I've found a number of "Modernist" techniques employed by Chefs at restaurants throughout Las Vegas. Chef Wong explained that the watermelon is compressed in cry-o-vac with sugar and sweet soy. Incredibly the watermelon retained its texture through the process and it had an intense, sweet flavor.

040.JPG

036.JPG

The table setting showing the basket we would use to dip the garnished in the bubbling broth and three dipping sauces, including Satay Sauce, Sesame Seed Vinegar, (toasted sesame seeds ground to a paste and then mixed with oil and vinegar), and Soy Sauce with Fresh Chili-

051.JPG

To accompany the Shabu-Shabu, the Beer and Spirits Sommelier selected two beers-A 2010 "Vintage" Hitachino Nest Commerative Ale and a dark Asahi Black Kuronama Lager. The Hitachino Nest Ale is crafted from 5 different malts, 3 hops, and 5 spices including vanilla, coriander, orange peel, nutmeg and cinnamon.

Chef Lo explained that due to the cold weather found in Northern China, the traditional Mongolian Hotpot is made with a funnel on top of the pot so that the steam from the boiling broth takes longer to dissapate. In Japan where most Shabu-Shabu is served indoors, the traditional pot is crafted of clay and the lid is left off the pot during cooking.

Boiling Chicken Broth in the pot. (The Bellagio makes 200 gallons of fresh chicken stock each day!)

046.JPG

The accompaniments-Sliced Kobe Beef, Diver Scallops, Shitake and Enoki Mushrooms, Napa Cabbage, Spinach, Glass Noodles and Tomato-

048.JPG

The first "Swish-Swish,"-Mushrooms stirred into the broth-

053.JPG

055.JPG

Mushrooms and Kobe Beef in the soup bowl-

056.JPG

With broth-

059.JPG

With glass noodles-

061.JPG

With tomato, the final, deep, rich, fragant broth-

066.JPG

We started with 12 tables all with the same broth in the pot. In the end, we had 12 different broths based on the composition of the ingredients that had been added to each pot. In homes, the final broth is typically kept and served the next day as a soup. Chef Lo recommends saving the broth and using it for boiling noodles or rice the next day.

"Swish-Swish in the Hot Pot," was a fun event and I've learned a new, (and easy) technique for serving a delicious communal meal.

Friday, May 6-

The Grand Tasting, The Pools at Caesar’s Palace-

This year, the Grand Tasting became the marquee even of Vegas Uncork’d when the tribute dinner to Paul Bocuse on Saturday night was abruptly and unceremoniously cancelled. This year the Grand Tasting was spread out a little more due to finished construction in the pool areas so I was hoping that the extra room would accommodate the hungry throngs. But as the evening went on, I had a sense that attendance was down-owing in part to the fact that the cost of a ticket went up to $200 this year which is never a good sign in a depressed Las Vegas economy. Locals make up a large contingent of the folks who attend the Grand Tasting and it may have been a bit much to ask of them to support Uncork’d at that price.

The Grand Tasting features over 50 restaurants (primarily from the large Strip resorts), and many of the Chef’s whose names grace the doors of their signature restaurants are in attendance. It’s a wonderful venue for the general public to sample little bites from the restaurants. There are also booths featuring wines, spirits, and beers.

One Celebrity Chef wasn’t in the house this year, (and no one seemed to notice). Apparently Bobby Flay had a previous engagement at the Kentucky Derby. Another Celebrity Chef made his first prance into the Grand Tasting this year. Surrounded by security and a trail of mignons, Gordon Ramsay paraded through the event waving off the curious autograph seekers, (none of which he obliged with a signature as far as I could see). Ramsay’s presence is sure to fuel continued rumors of the opening of a signature restaurant at Caesar’s Palace.

068.JPG

Bar Masa, Aria Hotel, Chef Masa Takayama-

070.JPG

Chef Guy Savoy and Jean Joho, (Eiffel Tower Restaurant), checking out the Big Green Egg at a barbecue booth-071.JPG

072.JPG

China Poblano by Jose Andres, Cosmopolitan Hotel-

077.JPG

Scallop with Grilled Lime-

076.JPG

Rao's, Caesar's Palace-

079.JPG

Meatball Sliders-

078.JPG

Nobu, Chef Nobu Matsuhisa, Hard Rock Hotel-

083.JPG

Miso-Marinated Black Cod-

082.JPG

Foie Gras Burger on Brioche-Robuchon, MGM Grand Hotel, (the most popular booth every year)-

The line behind the booth. Cooking burgers, sauteeing foie gras, reducing the demi-glace-

089.JPG

The foie gras at a little outdoor party-

091.JPG

Properly toasting the buns-

090.JPG

Saturday, May 7-

Saturday morning began with the "Culinary Conversations," series hosted by Bon Appetit Restaurant and Drinks Editor Andrew Knowlton. The panel was composed of the inimitable trio of Las Vegas's most celebrated culinary journalists, John Curtas, Max Jacobson and Al Mancini, authors of "Eating Las Vegas 2011, The 50 Essential Restaurants." The book has been recognized for its uniqure style, format, humor and sometimes rancourous debate about the restaurants that made the final cut. It was the first book to be written by three informed food journalists, running miles ahead of the local newspaper and tourist guidebooks as a reference for dining in Las Vegas. As opposed to other “guidebooks” which rely in large part on collecting press releases from hotels and restaurants, “Eating Las Vegas” has set a new standard because of its unique style, format, humor and rancourous debate among the authors over who made the final cut.

The power of three ruled in the writing of the book—two of the authors could out vote the third. However, a sidebar to the rule was that each had absolute veto power. As such, it was rumored that the three musketeers nearly came to blows when two voiced support of a restaurant only to have the third express his utter frustration, horror and distaste for including a wretched restaurant that can’t make a meatball in the book. (The “veto” section of the book is one of the more intriguing chapters).

While the most popular part of the book may be who made the Top 10 list, in my view this isn’t a tome to the “best” restaurants in Las Vegas. As noted in the title, it’s a guide to the “Essential” restaurants one should consider when dining in Las Vegas.

We started off the morning with a Bloody Mary Bar with a vast menu of selections to customize one's cocktail-

Fresh-

Compressed Celery

Cucumber

Lemon

Lime

Basil

Cilantro

Jalapeno

Chives

Tomatoes

Marinated/Cured-

Tomolives

Spanish Green Olives

Castelvetrano Olives

House Pickled Asparagus

Windy City Wasabeans

Crispy Bacon

Horseradish

Sauces-

Tabasco

Worcestershire

Cholula Hot Sauce

BBQ Sauce

Siracha Red Chili Paste

Balsamic Vinegar

Olive Oil

A1 Steak Sauce

Salts/Spices-

Togarashi

Maldon Sea Salt

Smoked Sea Salt

Bacon Salt

Cayenne Salt

Celery Salt

Old Bay Seasoning

Ancho Chili Powder

Cracked Black Pepper

Ground Cumin

Spirits-

Belvedere Bloody Mary

Purity

House Cucumber-Infused Absolut

002.JPG

Much was discussed about the changes that will take place in the "Top Ten" list as the Authors begin their work on the next edition. This is the Top Ten list that currently appear in the book, (with some commentary on the changes we could see in 2012)-

-Alex (Wynn)-CLOSED, (no rational answer has ever been released by Wynn as to why the restaurant was suddenly shuddered).

-Bartolotta Ristorante Di Mare (Wynn)-(could lose the spot as the top seafood restaurant in Las Vegas to the contemporary Greek "Milos" at the newly opened Cosmopolitan).

-Bar Masa (Aria at CityCenter)

-Cut (Palazzo)

-Guy Savoy (Caesar’s Palace)

-Joel Robuchon (MGM Grand)

-L’Atelier (MGM Grand)

-Picasso (Bellagio)

-RM Seafood (Mandalay Place)-(will the turnover of Sous Chefs topple RM from the list?)

-Twist (Mandarin Oriental)

Left to Right: Knowlton, Curtas, Jacobson and Mancini

009.JPG

The discussion also turned to the place that traditional food writing, (i.e., print Magazines like Bon Appetit), has in today's contemporary and electronic world of food and dining reporting. (The consensus was that we will see less and less of the traditional food writer/writing and the growth of food "bloggers" will continue). Finally, there was a discussion of the issue of the "anonymous" critic, (which doesn't happen with these three visible Vegas figures), and whether or not a comp meal is both ethical and fair game for a review. (The panel all agreed that comps are not expected but accepted. Curtas upholds his commitment to be truthful in a review whether the meal is comped or not. Jacobson and Mancini don't review a meal that is comped, labeling it "somewhat disingenuous. I wasn't given a voice or vote on the subject).

"Eating Las Vegas 2011, The 50 Essential Restaurants," can be purchased through the "We Care.com" site here. Purchases through the site help the Society in our advancement of the Culinary Arts.

Saturday, May 7-

Saturday afternoon would prove to be a revelation to me in terms of my preferences, (and ignorance of), the traditions and future of cuisine. I call it the "Reign of Spain"-a combination of two defining events-one associated with Vegas Uncork'd and hosted by a Spanish Traditionalist who resides in the house of Picasso. The other-3 Chefs, 2 Servers, 8 patrons in a private library classroom experiencing the cuisine of a Member of the Spanish "Avant-Garde" movement, (and the relation to Modernist Cuisine).

Great write ups so far, David! Looks like you had a good mix of events this year. Looking forward to hearing more about the meal with Jose Andres.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Saturday, May 7-

“The Reign of Spain Part I”-The Traditionalist

“Que Viva Espana!” (That I live Spain)-

On Saturday afternoon, Vegas Uncork’d holds private luncheons as part of the “Master Luncheon Series.” Similar to the Thursday night “Master Dinner Series,” these private events give attendees the chance to meet the Chefs and savor their cuisine. The Luncheon series are actually more exclusive than the Dinner series in because these Chefs and their restaurants are not regularly open for lunch. In the case of my choice, “Picasso” restaurant at Bellagio-they have only served lunch on two other occasions over the course of the thirteen years Picasso has been opened, (beginning when the Bellagio opened on October 15, 1998).

Picasso restaurant is named for the famous Cubist artist born in Spain who lived most of his artistic life in France. It is only fitting that Chef Julian Serrano resides in the house of Picasso--a Spaniard whose mastery of French cuisine with Spanish influences has established Picasso as one of the top restaurants in America. The winner of multiple James Beard Awards, Chef Serrano was one of the first to establish Las Vegas as a top dining destination.

Our hosts for lunch were Robert Smith, Master Sommelier at Picasso, (and a 2011 James Beard Award nominee) and Steve Olson, aka the Wine Geek and Bon Appetit Wine and Spirits Contributing Editor.

017.JPG

In keeping with the spirit of Spanish hospitality, lunch opened with glasses of refreshing, fruity Sangria that reportedly took overnight to make including the preparation of a deeply flavored syrup that formed the base of the Sangria. Master Smith encouraged the guests to enjoy the three wines and Sangria throughout lunch—there would be no formal order of wine pairings--each was selected to go with all of the dishes and to be relished throughout the feast.

Morgadio Albarino, Rias-Baixas, 2009

Cune Rosado, Rioja, 2009

Alconte, Ribera del Duero, 2007

018.JPG

Tapas-

Stuffed Piquillo Peppers-Goat Cheese and Mushrooms

038.JPG

Tuna Raspberry Skewer-Ahi Tuna, “Molecular Raspberry,” Wasabi, Sesame Seed

(The only dish that didn’t come together. The tuna was under-seasoned and was overwhelmed by the small block of intense raspberry flavor. But as you see, the style of “molecular” is a part of Serrano’s repertoire).

029.JPG

Lobster Gazpacho-“Traditional” Chilled Spanish Soup, Lobster “Morsels”

(Another nod to the Spanish “Avant-Garde” from the Traditionalist—the “Morsel” was a small frozen ball of Gazpacho enrobing a core of Lobster soup that burst forth on the palate).

023.JPG

Scallops a la “Plancha”-Romseco Sauce

034.JPG

Paella-

Paella a la “Valenciana”-Chicken, Rabbit, Chorizo, Vegetables, Saffron Rice

(Chef Serrano uses long-grain Spanish rice in his Paella because he prefers the texture and starch content of the long-grains rather than a short-grain, risotto type of rice. The smoked paprika Chorizo is made in house. Chef included what he called the “special parts” of the rabbit, including the liver, heart and kidneys).

041.JPG

047.JPG

Dessert-

Flan Catalan

Toro Albala, “Don PX” Montilla-Morales, 2007 Sherry

053.JPG

Serrano’s Spanish flavors are spright, fresh, clean and bold. The cooking was unpretentious, the wine and conversation spirited. One could say that Serrano is a Spanish traditionalist-a Chef who became recognized for a style of pure cuisine that had not been overly popular in America at the time. He built the foundation for a taste of Spain, paving the road for many of today's young Chefs who are leading the Spanish Avant-Garde movement—a marriage of tradition with the vivid, technical innovation of the future.

On his last day, April 8, 1973, Picasso was dining with his wife and friends in Mougins, France. It is said that he spoke these final words before passing-“Drink to me, drink to my health, you know I can’t drink anymore.” A life well lived indeed and a legacy that lives on in Las Vegas.

056.JPG

Viva Las Vegan was quite enjoyable. It started with an opening speech by Steve Wynn about how he became a Vegan. Steve had just gotten married the previous week (I don't know why. According to his biography, he's no more interested in monogamy than JFK was) but he stuck around to tell the story of his then girlfriend's French friend and her 72-year old Indian boyfriend, described as looking 72. Then Steve didn't see him for a year, and when they met again, the man had lost 35 pounds and 20 years. He gave Steve a DVD extolling Veganism, the benefits of which Steve could clearly see. Now it was his turn to convert us, though I suspect many of the guests were already Vegetarian. Equally as important as Steve's health, his employees' soaring health care costs was a reason he extolled to get them off meat too. A number of his chefs (chefs and recipes still up on the Uncork'd site; hint: get a food processor!) came up and demonstrated their dishes and we were given recipes for a number of them- unfortunately not the dishes I wanted the recipes for: Chef Kim Canteenwalla's Society Cafe Vegan Tomato Tasting: Roast Tomato Bisque and Heirloom Tomato Cashew Cheese Salad. I would have asked the chef, but he was busy being interviewed by a tall blond woman in a purple dress who seemed more famous than the chefs. Maybe she has a TV show. I would have also loved to get the recipe for Alex Stratta's Crispy Gardein Milanese with Arugula, fennel and marinated tomatoes. If Kim's dish was the best in the room and one of the best things I ate at Uncork'd, Alex's dish finally gave me an idea what to do with Gardein Chick'n. Alex demonstrated an eggless pasta on stage and gave out the recipe for a Roasted Corn Agnolotti with Oyster Mushrooms which wasn't nearly as good as the Chick'n. The "Crab" cakes from another chef also used Gardein and didn't taste like crab at all. Waiting to get in, we were treated to boozy or mocktail versions of white sangria and other drinks. I found the sangria a bit bland by itself but went very well with the vegan fare. I left the event very inspired- a rare sensation at Uncork'd.

Saturday, May 7-

“The Reign of Spain Part II”-The Avant-Garde

e’ Jose Andres

It was quite unplanned that I would find myself in the midst of a culinary transformation while I was in Las Vegas for Uncork'd. I knew I would have memorable meals and I would go home with new ideas, but I never expected what would happen on Saturday night. Through a twist of fate, I thank the French for leading me into the land of Oz.

The Grand Gala Banquet, “Tocques off to Bocuse,” had been billed as the Grande Dame Saturday night event at Vegas Uncork’d 2011. Planned as a tribute to the French Master and attended by the honorable Monsieur Jerome Bocuse, every one of the great Chefs of Las Vegas, (and more), were preparing to cook in the style of Lyon. Gagnaire and Savoy would be there, and Ducasse and Robuchon were going to pair together to craft one of the opening courses. Unfortunately, the planners in charge of staging the events at Vegas Uncork’d are unaware of the current economic strife that has befallen the world for well over five years and they saw it proper to list the cost of one ticket at $395.00. Even serious food enthusiasts have a hard time swallowing the price of a $400 banquet-style dinner and the event was abruptly, (and without explanation), cancelled one week before the start of Uncork’d. I wasn’t interested in attending the outdoor barbecue hosted by Charlie Palmer, Rick Moonen and Ducasse at Mandalay Bay, (the “second string” event that was put in when the Bocuse dinner was cancelled), so I chose to go it alone on Saturday night.

David, our waiter at Twist on Wednesday night, asked if I had ever dined with Jose Andres at his recently opened Jaleo restaurant in Las Vegas. No, this was my first trip to Las Vegas since The Cosmopolitan Hotel had opened so I hadn’t tried the dining rooms yet. “Have you been to minibar in Washington,, D.C.,” he inquired. "No, but I am familiar with Andres and his “molecular gastronomy” I told David. “No Mr. Ross, Chef Andres prefers to term his style “Avant-Garde,”-a marriage of tradition with the technical innovations afforded the “modern” kitchen."

After further discussion about my adventures at Vegas Uncork’d, (and my sad tale of the cancellation of the Bocuse event on Saturday evening), David encouraged me to try the experience at e’ by Andres-a private room seating just 8 diners and located in the larger Jaleo restaurant. “It will be hard to get in,” David said. “They only have seatings on Saturdays at 5:30 and 8:00 and they are probably booked.” “My fiancee works there and I know the Manager, I will call them and see if they can accommodate you on Saturday night Mr. Ross. What seating would you prefer.” And so it goes, a charge of Gagnaire booked me the last remaining seat at e’ on Saturday night.

A “Traditionalist” at heart, I have never completely understood why one would want to taste food that has been altered with chemicals and technology. Really, my only adventure into any creative expression outside of traditional circles was some 35 years ago when I did do a term paper on Jackson Pollock while studying art history at Oregon State. I was young and felt at the time that a piece on the crazed, paint-throwing style of the Abstract Expressionist savant would score a higher grade point than a boring treatise on Rembrandt. But in my heart, I was a traditionalist, I truly thought of Pollock as having been influenced by heavy drink and drug which in turn resulted in his penchant for throwing paint on canvas and calling it an inspiration, “art” as it were. (Today, an original work by Pollock is valued in the millions). But ignorance is no excuse for reality, and the chains that bind our tastes can only be released when we experience and savor the art created by those whom we mis-interpret.

One must go through a somewhat lengthy process to be “accepted” at Andres e’ table. You cannot simply call and make a reservation, you can’t book a table online. No, you must first complete an application, listing your personal information and completing a checklist, (notating if you have any food allergies for example), and commit to the rules of the house, (including the fact that no “moving” pictures, cell phones or other electronic devices are allowed). The application is then sent back to the restaurant, and after you have passed the screening process, (and committed $250 per person to your credit card), you receive notification that your reservation has been completed. e’ is obviously the provenance of those who are committed and aware of the experience that awaits.

You enter e’ through a discreet, hidden door located off the end of the bar at Jaleo restaurant, (and just off from what must be the largest indoor “paella pit,” in America). You are transported into a different world--a small room with a mystical atmosphere that is part library, part laboratory, part stage—walls lined with wooden library card boxes, a ladder to nowhere, porcelain dolls, string puppets and sequined shoes, (seemingly out of a “Halloween” movie), garnish the walls. In the center of the room is a small, horsehoe-shaped bar with 8 comfortable stools that border the preparation table. Literally inches away are the artist’s tools-tweezers, tiny eye droppers, glass dishes holding unrecognizable ingredients. At the rear, heavy red curtains open to reveal a small laboratory of glass shelves lined with serving dishes, hand-painted lacquer boxes and clay “hands” apparently taken off mannequins. To the right, the “stage” door through which 3 Chefs enter, followed by 2 servers who will choreograph the service. (The head Chef, a young man from Puerto Rico, is one of only 3 Chefs at Jaleo Las Vegas who has been selected and trained by Andres to perform the e’ experience).

I had packed my requisite little black book and small Canon digital camera having every intent of taking photos, (still photos are discreetly allowed), and recording every detail of the meal so that I could report back to my friends at eGullet. I wanted to present the intricate details of the preparations-the minutiae at the hands of the technicians-so that I could prove, (in my mind), that a Traditionalist could be converted. As I settled in with a glass of Spanish Cava, I sensed that in order to experience that truth of the evening I would have to place the book and camera to the side.

Our group of 8 diners included a couple from San Diego, two gentlemen college friends, (one from New York, one from San Francisco), myself, and a family of three from Japan. As we settled in with glasses of Spanish Cava and waited for the show to begin, I learned that two of the diners have ordered Nathan’s “Modernist Cuisine,” and are avid followers of the movement.

Menu-

Cocktail

“Gin and Tonic”

Spanish “Clavel”

(“Carnation” of Iberico Ham)

Beet Jewelry

Caramelized Pork Rinds

Apple “Brazo de Gitano”

Crispy Chicen Skin in Escabeche

Jose “Taco”

& Artichoke with Caviar

Bocata de “Calamares”

Cocktail

“Sandria”

Ajo Blanco

Maine Lobster with Citrus and Jasmine

Chickpea Stew with Iberico Ham

“Catch” of the Day

Halibut

Rosemary Wild Mushrooms en Papilotte

Secreto of Iberico Pork

Orange Pith Puree

“La Serena”

Frozen Apricot Coulant

Apples and Red Wine

“Fredy Giradet”

25 Second Bizcocho

Fizzy “Paper”

Chocolate

Tiny little “apples” were created in front of us, applauding the work of the great Swiss Chef Fredy Giradet while crafting the fruit using a technique I had never witnessed. Globes of “caviar” jelly and emulsions from citrus pith (the lowly part of the peel that is usually relegated to the trash bin), appeared without effort. The Iberico pig blessed us with paper-thin, crispy ham, succulent, smoked belly and lush, roasted shoulder. Every dish was a revelation, the flavors clean, fresh and pure. The "cocktails," wines and beer served with each course were perfect partners to the flavors in the dishes.

Chef Andres was in Las Vegas that night, yet he was busy attending to other work and not in the house of e'. (He would receive the James Beard Award a mere two days later in New York). However, his cast of artists clearly believe his mission and they performed without a flaw. Through circumstances I hadn’t imagined when I arrived in Las Vegas, I found a seat at the table at e’. My tastes had been enlightened through the technology of modern science in the creative hands of the Avant-Garde. Culinary ephiphanies are life-changing moments--an awakening really. And I know now that while my “Traditions” live on, the artistry and technology of “Modern” cuisine will carry me forward.

007.JPG

Sunday, May 8-

Mother’s Day Sparkling Brunch, Guy Savoy, Caesar’s Palace-

New to the Uncork’d line-up this year was a sparkling champagne brunch at hosted by Hugh Garvey, Bon Appetit Features Editor and Chef Guy Savoy. (Last year the only Sunday event was a brunch with Robuchon at L’Atelier, which wasn’t staged this year). Another brunch was held by the “Two Hot Tamales” at Border Grill at Mandalay Bay.

I was hoping for an exceptional experience at the Savoy Brunch—how often does one even have the opportunity to have brunch with a Michelin-Star French Chef? Unfortunately, lapses in service and a limited menu didn’t deliver on those expectations. I left Guy Savoy wondering why a restaurant of this caliber can’t deliver on basic customer service courtesies and a sense that this Sunday “Sparkling” Brunch didn’t sparkle. (See my report of dinner at Guy Savoy during last year’s “Vegas Uncork’d” here for a similar review of the lapses at this esteemed restaurant).

I was curious about what type of brunch menu Chef Savoy would offer. I certainly didn’t expect a groaning board of hundreds of items ala the Las Vegas Buffet, and I knew Chef would serve some of his signature dishes, (Peas All Around and Artichoke Soup with Black Truffles and Brioche). But would we have a Michelin-Star dish of eggs? Would there be both breakfast and luncheon dishes? Would the magical Savoy dessert cart make an entrance into the dining room?

My curiousness soon was tamed with the reality that there would be a limited selection of dishes, so limited that in fact they ran out of one of the main courses, (only to half-heartedly rescue more scraps from the kitchen when the diners complained).

The service was far below the typically high standards of the Savoy team. Tables for 4 were crammed with 2 additional seats while a large table seating 12 sat empty at one end of the room. There was barely room to reach for bread without hitting the woman to my right. And then there was the service.

After we sat down, our table of five waited, and waited, for a server to introduce themselves and set the stage for brunch. Not knowing if the food would be plated and served tableside or if we were supposed to go through the typical brunch routine of walking down the “line,” we flagged someone down who then instructed us to help ourselves. Had this been the buffet at Palace Station we would have known the drill, yet at Guy Savoy we expected the decorum and service to be more formal, not happenstance.

Billed as a “Sparkling” brunch, the servers were the stingiest in Las Vegas-limiting us to a mere one glass of champagne before we sat down at the table. (And the bubbly didn’t flow once we were seated). I had to ask for a second glass of white wine twice, only to have the wine poured when a wine steward passed by, (seemingly unaware that I had asked someone, anyone, for another glass of wine). In a Michelin-recognized restaurant, utensils are quietly replaced at the end of each course, yet on this Sunday, forks, spoons and knives weren’t replaced unless one asked or if our server happened to be at the table when our plate was cleared. (After the clean fork I requested didn’t arrive, I ate the Veal dish with a spoon. In a five-star restaurant!).

The craftsmanship of the dishes at Savoy are always perfect, the flavors pure yet understated. Savoy is a steady ship as it were. You won’t taste the influence of Asian flavors like you will when dining at Robuchon. And there isn’t the great pleasure of an exceptional dish followed by an acrid mess that you may encounter with Gagnaire.

Menu-

Cold Appetizers

Tout Petis Pois

“Peas All Around”

(a signature dish)

Fromage de Tete

Head Cheese

(A rare menu offering anywhere, and one of the best dishes of the Brunch)

003.JPG

Terrine Campagnarde

Country Style Pate

Jambon Iberico

Spanish Iberico de Bellota Ham

(not nearly as ethereal as the Iberico pork served in three different treatments at Andres e’)

004.JPG

Huitres en Nage Glacee

Oysters in Ice Gelee

(While not labeled, the little gems were either Belon oysters from France or the tiniest Kumamotos from the Pacific)

006.JPG

Hot Appetizers

Brouillade de Champignons Sauvages

Wild Mushroom Brouillade

Soupe d’Artichaut a la Truffe Noire,

Brioche Feuillette aux Champignons et Truffes

Artichoke and Black Truffle Soup, Toasted Mushroom Brioche,

Black Truffle Butter

(A Savoy signature and rightly so, no other “soup and sandwich” combination will ever compare to this rich, buttery, truffled creation)

Selection de Fromages Affines

Selection of Cheeses-

(I suppose three cheeses, including a very good, creamy bleu, amounts to a “selection,” but we were expecting a few more choices)

Entrée

Poitrine de Veau Braisee, Legumes de Saison

Braised Loin of Veal, Seasonal Vegetables

(The biggest disappointment of the meal-the “veal eaten with a spoon.” On our first trip through the service line, we spotted a regal, golden loin of veal sitting on the carving board, a Chef slicing thick slices of the meat for each customer. Alas, we were on our first trip to the Cold Appetizer display and would return for the veal. And when we did return, “sorry, we’re out of veal.” What? A restaurant of this level, with a mere 50 customers for brunch and you didn’t plan for the veal? As the number of complaints started to go toward the kitchen, a Chef appeared with more veal. Yet it wasn’t the kingly roast and it wouldn’t be carved per order. It was scraps off the trimming of the loin, perfectly good meat indeed, it just wasn’t what should have been offered. Served in a copper sauté pan with the delicious braising liquor, it was tender enough to “eat with a spoon.”)

Volaille de Bresse, Confite et Laquee, Chou Juste Poele, Jus aux Vinaigres

Farm-Raised Chicken Laquee, Cabbage Ragout, Vinegar Jus

(The potato puree served as an accompaniment to the Entrees was in fact, better than Robuchon’s famed potato dish. Savoy is less generous with the butter, resulting in a puree with a more true potato flavor).

Salmon Toutes Saveurs

Lightly Cooked Salmon with Herbs

Desserts

(While intricately prepared and delicious, the dessert offerings were tiny and the selection somewhat sparse given the occasion)

002.JPG

Paris-Brest

Clafoutis aux Fraises

Strawberry Clafoutis

(Strangely missing yet replaced with little jars of custard and caramel)

Fondant au Chocolat

Chocolate Fondant

Macaroons

(Another absent dessert offering, apparently replaced with a second chocolate item)

One expects an exceptional, memorable experience when dining with Guy Savoy, especially when Chef is in the restaurant. After this private Sunday brunch in 2011 and the private Master Series Dinner in 2010, I’ve been less than impressed, underwhelmed is a more appropriate term. These events cater to serious diners-people who know cuisine and service. It can only be an indication of the lapses, however minor, that must go on every evening. The staff at Savoy needs to be more attentive to the details lest they be passed over in the challenging market of Las Vegas.

Conclusions-

The 5th Year of Uncork'd proved to be the most memorable for me personally. In the five years that I've attended Uncork'd, I've made a number of personal acqaintances, many of whom returned this year so it was fun to join them again in the fabulous food events at Uncork'd.

The Master Series Dinner at Payard on Thursday was exceptional, probably the best one of these dinners I've attended in five years. Two of the highlights were the instructional classes I attended at Bellagio on Friday, the Chef Showdown with Akira Back and Martin Heirling and the Shabu-Shabu demonstration with Edmund Wong and Philip Lo. We learned techniques, flavor pairings and dishes from professionals that we'll take home and cook in our kitchens and serve to our families.

The Grand Tasting on Friday night was not up to par this year, (it's never been my favorite event). Yes, there were the gourmet food booths and the Celebrity Chefs in attendance, (where else can you eat a foie gras burger slider from Robuchon and see Gordon Ramsay prancing through with his groupies). But the attendance seemed down, due I am sure in large part to the increase in the ticket price to $200 per person. The Grand Tasting is traditionally an event well-attended by the locals. Without a doubt, in one of the most depressed counties in America, $200 dollars is a steep tariff to pay for a few nibbles of this and a sip of tha. Somehow, someday, one can only hope that the planners will find a way to disperse the booths nearest to the pool in a more reasonable way so that there isn't the yearly conflagration in front of the most popular

booths.

A new, (and welcome), feature was the Eating Las Vegas discussion on Saturday with local Food Journalists John Curtas, Max Jacobson and Al Mancini. Never before had Uncork'd staged an event with local Food Writers who shared their inside knowledge about the Las Vegas dining scene with customers who specifically travel to Las Vegas to eat-not gamble-to eat. It certainly was far more insightful than any guidebook would ever be able to provide.

The Sparkling brunch at Savoy on Sunday was a dissapointment as noted in my reports. Terribly disappointing since it was my last event at Uncork'd 2011. The last memory is often the "lasting" memory. Marginal service, a sparse menu and the case of the missing veal shouldn't be tolerated at a restaurant whose namesake Chef has been awarded 3 Michelin Stars. It will go down as the brunch where "I ate my veal with a spoon."

I've purposely gone out of order in my conclusions on the events I attended during Vegas Uncork'd, leaving a final comment on Saturday until now. It was an unexpected twist of fate that I found myself having two memorable meals on Saturday. One at the hands of a Spanish Traditionalist at an event that was part of Uncork'd. The other, an ethereal experience presented by the School of the Spanish Avant-Garde. I would never have had the opportunity to dine at e' by Jose Andres had I not been in town for Uncork'd. It was a case of simple circumstance that I discovered a new path in my culinary journey through

life--a path entwined with the Modernist Movement that we celebrate in our anniversary year at eGullet. Yes, Uncork'd was an incredible experience. "Magnifico efecto."

• 7 months later...

Thank you, David! I'm making plans to go this coming year. The tickets go on sale 2/1! VERY excited!

Uncork'd is one of the great culinary gatherings every year. Stay tuned for my topic on the 2012 event.

• 2 months later...

I'm mulling a trip to Vegas for this, not this year, but perhaps next, or sometime in the future.

I'm curious how you kept yourself occupied in between meals. If I were to go to Spain instead, I know I could keep myself well occupied in between meals. I have no interest in gambling.

Something has come up and I may go this year. But in reading your report I'm wondering what makes Uncork'd special, versus just going to Vegas any other time of the year. Instead of paying $300 for the Master Series Dinner with Guy Savoy, why not just book at his restaurant some other time?

Admittedly the instructional events are not of great value to me as I don't really cook that ambitiously anymore. For me, the top priority is just eating.

Thanks in advance. Your comments will help me decide my travel plans.

Something has come up and I may go this year. But in reading your report I'm wondering what makes Uncork'd special, versus just going to Vegas any other time of the year. Instead of paying $300 for the Master Series Dinner with Guy Savoy, why not just book at his restaurant some other time?

Admittedly the instructional events are not of great value to me as I don't really cook that ambitiously anymore. For me, the top priority is just eating.

Thanks in advance. Your comments will help me decide my travel plans.

The difference is that you are dining with Chef Savoy in the kitchen--something that he only does about 3 or 4 times a year. And you are exposed to all the other great Chefs at Uncork'd. They rarely come to Las Vegas at all let alone in one setting. And although the meals are expensive, you are dining on the finest products executed perfectly, the service is A+ and you are drinking vintage wines that if you bought the bottles yourself would cost as much as a fleet of Mercedes.

In terms of how I pace myself, as you can read from my previous reports I take a lot of naps and drink gallons of water. That helps me take on the gluttonous feasts each night that stretch into the next day. I've done all the shopping and tourist things, so during the day I'm perfectly satisfied to lay out by the pool with a newspaper and dream about the food I'll be eating that evening.