• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

{Austin} Rehearsal Dinner Suggestions?

Richard Kilgore

A friend ask me for suggestions for a location for a rehearsal dinner in Austin in July this year. I do not know Austin well enough anymore to be helpful, but I offered to ask you all.

He is looking for a "semi-formal" setting (as opposed to a casual or formal one). He is aiming for $35 - $40 per person for 40 people.

Can you eGulleters help this fellow out?

• 1 month later...

Does that number need to include wine/beer/gratuity?

He says food,wine, tax and gratuity, all for $35 - $40/head for about 25 people. He may have dawdled on this for securing a rehearsal dinner location for the 4th of July weekend in Austin, and will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Can anyone help my friend?

Thanks, Mark. I love San Miguel, but there are already two Mexican food events during the wedding weekend, so he has ruled out BBQ and Mexican.

Any other suggestions for a "semi-formal" rehearsal dinner in Austin?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Green Pastures is still open and would probably be a very good choice. Don't know if they could do his price range with wine, though. Call up there, I have several friends who work there and they are all really helpful friendly types.

I know he doesn't want Mexican, but my sister did her rehearsal dinner at Z-Tejas and it was really nice. We all paid for our own booze and it worked out well.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Well with the full disclosure that I work there, I'll throw out Jeffrey's as a possibility--there is an on-site event facility that afaik can hold that many. Including drinks in that budget may or may not be an issue. Closed on the 4th itself but open the weekend.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Thanks MissAmy and thirtyoneknots. I have passed your suggestions on to my friend.

Anyone else have suggestions for a rehearsal dinner location (considering my friend's requirements noted up-topic)?