• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Type of Salami Was This?

IndyRob

Way back when, in my early college days, there was a small startup deli whose salami sandwiches I absolutely loved. Just white bread, some mustard, and a nice mound of very tender, moist salami.

I've been looking for that meat ever since. I would say the texture most resembled the better deli corned beef or pastrami - but of course with the salami flavor. But all the salami I've sampled since is simply not going for that effect, whether it be called Cotto, Genoa, Hard Salami, etc.

Is there a name for this sort of salami, or is it just one particular maker, or what?

Way back when, in my early college days, there was a small startup deli whose salami sandwiches I absolutely loved. Just white bread, some mustard, and a nice mound of very tender, moist salami.

I've been looking for that meat ever since. I would say the texture most resembled the better deli corned beef or pastrami - but of course with the salami flavor. But all the salami I've sampled since is simply not going for that effect, whether it be called Cotto, Genoa, Hard Salami, etc.

Is there a name for this sort of salami, or is it just one particular maker, or what?

Where were you at college - perhaps it's a regional variation?

Might be one of the kosher brands...Hebrew National?

Yes, thanks. I think that's it. Salami had me thinking in terms of italian words despite the deli reference. But it looks like there's no kosher salami around these parts, except for our big deli here whose product looked different. It wasn't Hebrew National. I think that's what I may be looking for.