• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Top Chef Masters: Season 3

Chris Hennes

I see it as kids (the production company) playing with dolls (the celebricheftestants).

Perhaps if I understood the logic of downgrading the judges/hosts in the transition from Top Chef to Top Chef Masters, while upgrading the chefs.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It's amusing to watch top-chef canada at the same time. In the latest episode of TCC the judges latched onto a contestent's pavlova as being too upscale and fancy, not pedestrian enough (although it looked to be a great dish).

All I can think of now is the guy in Glee "I'm taking classes on judging reality shows" now.

Also a Canadian food celebrety (not for long if his viewers see that episode) Michael Smith showed up to make an ass of himself. Wow, what a dork.

With typical deft touch, the production team took an interesting elimination challenge - food scientific principles - and turned the show into Top Chef Romper Room by forcing the chefs to cook with beakers, test tubes and bunsen burners. If Grant Atchez and Wylie Dufresne get to use a range and fryer ...

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It really is awful. I've been a huge fan of regular top chef since season 1 and even enjoyed masters seasons 1 and 2 (the talent pool was much better). This season is absolutely ridiculous, they arent even really getting a chance to cook. I think the final challenge on top chef masters for the first 2 seasons (cook a meal that tells the story of your culinary career) is the best challenge on any cooking show, so if they screw that up I'm going to RAGE.

Edited by Twyst (log)

I think the final challenge on top chef masters for the first 2 seasons (cook a meal that tells the story of your culinary career) is the best challenge on any cooking show, so if they screw that up I'm going to RAGE.

I agree, but I think they'll get there. Hubert K had to cook in a dormroom bathtub on his way to that challenge. Top Chef has done a great job to create something that will attract these chefs, but with Masters they have to walk a tightrope. Most of Masters is like a company picnic with three legged races, maybe the egg on the spoon race.

Like Top Chef: Regular, it's a game, but even moreso when they're dealing with established reputations. It's not about world domination. It about us getting to get to know these chefs in a slightly charged, but comparativey relaxed environment.

I'm sure they'll let the final two or three show off.

Yet another culinary obstacle course. I've yet to see any of the chefs really show us what they're capable of. How ridiculous is it to chide them over details given the theme of the challenge, I mean.....really? C'mon.

Oh, and Oseland is a snob in case I forgot to mention it a third time. Is it possible to double-cancel a magazine subscription?

"Oh, and Oseland is a snob in case I forgot to mention it a third time. Is it possible to double-cancel a magazine subscription?"

:laugh:

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I watched it to the bitter end. Congratualtions to the chef that won (won't put in a spoiler). But I'm watching the start of the US Masterchef season 2 now and thinking 'it's sure nice to finally see judges that know food judging' (which is a very, very bad sign!)

Overall I have this to say about TC season 3. Get the fucking rules straight. Everything else I can forgive, maybe enjoy, but the constant flip flop. One episode they are critisized for making the food that was asked for. The they are critized for not making what was asked for. And again. Same thing hapened with Curtis S. with Americas Next Great Resteuraunt.

The show is about creativity, lip-service is all that SHOULD be paid to these dumb challenges, and if someone sticks to the challenge it shows even moreso what a great chef they are. But when challenges are set in stone, you end up with dry meatloaf and mashed potatoes on a plate.... winning.