• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dear Chef Forley,

I hope you don't mind an unsophisticated cooking question. My garden is currently filled with greens. I am being overwhelmed by ..... 2 distinct types of arugala, romaine, 2 different mesclun mixes, mizuna, radicchio and many herbs. I have been serving them raw as salad. But I also have broccoli raab, Swiss chard, bok choi and more. I have been sauteeing them with garlic. I am getting bored! I know you are a vegetable expert and I wonder what you would do with a surplus of greens. Any suggestions?

Lobster.

Dear Irish Cream,

Greens are one of my favorite vegetables. If you have a surplus you can make different flavored 'pestos'. For example, one of my favorites is sauteeing kale and collard greens in a fruity olive oil. Place in a blender with toasted pine nuts and cheese and process until smooth. You can use this as a base for a soup - just add vegetable or chicken stock for a quick stracciatella soup. Arugula works well this way as well but instead of sauteeing it you can lightly blanche the leaves in water and then process it. You can also make a sauce for pasta, chicken or meats by finishing the pesto with a little olive oil. If you have larger overgrown leaves, swiss chard and cabbage make great wrappings. Just stuff leaves with interesting grains - such as barley, wheatberries, millet or rice. Good luck.

Diane