• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish Fry dinners during Lent

heidih

Mom just got back from our church's/Knights of Columbus's, and she said it was catfish, cole slaw, corn bread and french fries. The french fries had way too much salt on them. The best thing about our church's is that it's just a free will offering, no set prices. I got home after she'd already left, so I just went to Long John Silver's. :unsure:

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

• 10 months later...

Anybody seeing anything different in their area? Perhaps this is a tradition that does not welcome change. I am having trouble rounding up dining partners due to fear of frying, fear of fish, and fear of it being a "Gortons moment".

We are an island of Catholics in a sea of Baptists here in Oklahoma. Our parish is small, so the Knights of Columbus did a fish fry on Ash Wednesday and we're on our own on Fridays.

The Knights fried up white bass, hush puppies with finely chopped jalapeno peppers in the batter, corn on the cob and creamy coleslaw, and a table of sheet cakes, cookies and a pie or two. It was excellent. It was a free will offering meal, as well, after Mass and the money collected is used for the Catholic Youth.

My husband is a heathen and won't go to Church with us, so I brought him home a carry away with everything but dessert and corn since they were gone by then.

Edited by annabelle (log)

• 9 years later...

I am in fish mode seeing some incredible seafood like @Ann_T's boat to table orders and those of you with fish shares. CV19 makes the church hall dining a non starter so I popped in to eaterNOLA to see what was up. #4 Picnic caught my eye. All of their menu has me drooling at 8am. Anything interesting around others? https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-friday-fish-fry-lenten-specials-restaurants-new-orleans

On 3/13/2021 at 10:10 AM, heidih said:

I am in fish mode seeing some incredible seafood like @Ann_T's boat to table orders and those of you with fish shares. CV19 makes the church hall dining a non starter so I popped in to eaterNOLA to see what was up. #4 Picnic caught my eye. All of their menu has me drooling at 8am. Anything interesting around others? https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-friday-fish-fry-lenten-specials-restaurants-new-orleans

I’ve only eaten at two of the restaurants on that list, Pêche and Toup’s Meatery. I’ve heard raves about Blue Oak BBQ. I hope someday I’ll be hitting up NOLA restaurants again. With regard to your question, I don’t even know anything about current Lenten specials! Shame on me. 

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Not Catholic but these dinners don't seem to be a thing here (although historically Bendigo was a catholic town - we have a quite nice cathedral). Everyone seems to just go down to their local fish and chip shop - The Borough of Eaglehawk, formerly its own town, has three of them. I usually go to the Chinese one and sometimes the Turkish one. The third just changed hands so maybe I should give it a try again. 

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

12 minutes ago, haresfur said:

I usually go to the Chinese one and sometimes the Turkish one. The third just changed hands so maybe I should give it a try again. 

Do they do a different take on  the standard and incorporate their native cuisines in some way

58 minutes ago, heidih said:

Do they do a different take on  the standard and incorporate their native cuisines in some way

It is sad that the menu is nearly identical at every shop I've been to, with some variation on the type of fish available. The pumpkin cakes were an innovation at the Borough Fish shop (Chinese) and have since been taken up by Sea Shells (Turkish). But potato cakes (potato scallops in NSW) are ubiquitous.  If you don't want fish, Souvlaki and burgers are also on the menu as are Chiko Rolls, which are basically the dodgiest egg rolls you can imagine. Bendigo is one of the places that claims to have originated Chiko Rolls. I have to say that it is brilliant that they sponsor our roller-derby team. The souvlaki is only edible at the Turkish shop. And I don't know how drunk you need to be to eat the dim-sims.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

The Catholic church in my town always does fish fry dinners during Lent.

This year it's takeout only.  My friend and I stopped in last Friday and then again this past Friday.  Three pieces of fish, coleslaw, dinner roll, butter, waffle fries, tartar sauce, ketchup and chocolate pudding all for $9.

A good cause and I love those Knights of Columbus guys getting together and putting it all together.  I'm thinking that when those men are no longer with us that' anyone would be hell bent trying to find guys today who would carry on the tradition.

• Like 4