• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

I bought one of these thermoworks units a while ago when it was posted. But if anyone wants a cheap infared thermometer check out

www.woot.com today only.

For those who have never heard of woot, they sell one item a day and charge $5 for shipping. When they sell out they are done for the day.

This unit it 18 + 5 shipping. I have no idea if it is any good, but it is cheap. Spec follows:

Features

Test From -27 to 230° F

Accurate to +/- 2.5°

Sleek Compact Design

Easy To Use

Keychain Attachment

Digital Display

Specifications:

Measurement Range: -33 to 110°C (-27 to 230°F)

Operating Range: 0 to 50°C (32 to 122°F)

Accuracy: +/- 2.5% (2.5°C)

Resolution: 0.2°C (0.5°F)

Response Time: 1 second

Distant to Spot Ratio: 1:1

Emissivity: 0.95 fixed

Update Frequency: 1.4 Hz

Dimension: 13 x 128 mm

Wave Length: 5 um to 14 um

Weight: 45.0 g

Battery: 2 LR44 Batteries

Edited by brucedelta (log)

• 4 months later...

While at my local Lowe's I picked up some shears for plastic cutting duty and moved them into the kitchen . For $9.98 ,with a lifetime gurantee it's hard to go wrong.

Good grippy handles , a screw joint instead of a rivet and pleasently sharp.

When the edges get tired from too many lobster shells or breastbones , Lowe's will happily hand you a new pair. Linkie to listing : http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...507-16878-50251

HTH

Jorge

Edited by flacoman (log)

ya know if they really will cheerfully replace them when dull then it's pretty hard to pass this up, thanks.

I've killed a few of their screwdrivers and have replaced them and the hangtag mentions the warranty ,so it looks like a winner

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this is a mistake or what, but I went ahead and placed an order. In any case, I was browsing sites looking at All-Clad SS stuff. Metro Kitchen has the All Clad SS 12" Fry pan with Lid on sale for 89.95, down from 180. It's weird cause they have the Pan without the lid for its normal 135. The pan is on backorder.

I'll have to see if they're honoring the sale or whats the issue, but I went ahead and placed an order just in case. Figured I'd let yall know, if it works out thats a heck of a sale.

Here's the link:

http://www.metrokitchen.com/product/AC-51125

I also just noticed this is my 1st post. I read the forums daily, but haven't posted until now. Don't want you guys to think I'm spamming. Just trying to share a potential deal I found with you guys. MODs, if there is a problem with doing this please let me know.

Cheers

Edited by Will87 (log)

A lot of retailers have "specials" on certain pieces that seem to be exclusives and are way below the normal All-clad price. If you can use the particular piece, they can be bargains.

My favorites are from Williams-Sonoma:

A 10" SS fry pan with non-stick interior and a domed lid for $79.95 and the 12" with the regular lid for $99.99.

A 4qt SS soup pot with lid and ladle for $135. The pot is the same as the 4 qt saucepan but has two loop handles instead of the long handle.

I also just picked up a 2 qt SS saucier with wisk from Macy's for $69.95. It didn't come with a lid but the 4qt soup pot lid from above fits it (as does the 3, 3.5 and 4qt saucepan lids).

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

• 10 months later...

Not sure even if it is here in Hawaii but will be taking a look tomorrow. Check your Safeway's too.

KAF: AP, Bread, Whole Wheat and White Whole Wheat all on sale today (and until April 6th accoring to the shelf tag) for $3.99/ 5# bag, regular price $5.99.

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

KA dropped off my radar when the price went from 2.99 to 4.99 at my Trader Joe's before disappearing altogether. Still available at Giant and Safeway in the $4.50+ range in the DC area. Unfortunately for KA, I can still get 25# bags of Gold Medal All Trumps bread flour at Costco for under $9. 25# bags of AP flour are $6 something. The animals, err, friends and family don't seem to notice the difference. Bread and blini are snarfed up with the same enthusiasm.

-e

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Real Silpats? I've never seen them at Crappy Tire before.

No, of course not. I was using 'silpat' in the Pickwickian sense, as in calling tissues 'kleenex'. mea culpa. :rolleyes:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Real Silpats? I've never seen them at Crappy Tire before.

No, of course not. I was using 'silpat' in the Pickwickian sense, as in calling tissues 'kleenex'. mea culpa. :rolleyes:

If they are the type without fibres - grab yourself a couple to make stencils for chocolate making.

• 5 months later...

I just got mine today - I live pretty near the seller. I can't speak to it's quality, but for about $30 US I was willing to take a chance.

Here's the link:

My linkhttp://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-725

I'll post information after I've used it, but that's not going to happen before the sale ends.

Pat

Little surprises 'round every corner, but nothing dangerous

• 4 months later...

Sur la Table online is having an "Up to 75% Off" sale...even on their clearance items:

Sur la Table Sale

One such deal: BeaterBlade for KitchenAid mixers only $9.99.

When attempting to provide a link to this item, the price kept reverting back to the original price. If that happens again, try doing a search on their site for it while the sale is still going on to get the sale price.

Such a deal!

Edited to add that I ended up calling their customer service because the sale price on the BeaterBlade kept changing (one minute on sale, the next minuute not on sale). They explained that they had recently changed some of their online software and that was likely to be causing the problem. They gave me the sale price when I placed the order over the phone. Great customer service!

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Sur la Table online is having an "Up to 75% Off" sale...even on their clearance items:

Sur la Table Sale

When attempting to provide a link to this item, the price kept reverting back to the original price. If that happens again, try doing a search on their site for it while the sale is still going on to get the sale price.

Such a deal!

Edited to add that I ended up calling their customer service because the sale price on the BeaterBlade kept changing (one minute on sale, the next minuute not on sale). They explained that they had recently changed some of their online software and that was likely to be causing the problem. They gave me the sale price when I placed the order over the phone. Great customer service!

Yes, I just placed an order and was going to say that, too. Agreed about the customer service. Thanks so much for the great tip. I've been wanting one of these for a while.

I was going to also order an AeroGarden 3 ("Now: $5.99 Was: $49.99"), but they're sold out. (Mostly :sad: with a little :angry:)

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

For anyone interested the Thermapen is now on sale + $6 shipping:

Winter Inventory Reduction

Only $79 each (normally $96)

Good Thru Jan. 31st.

Order now before your favorite color runs out!

thermapen

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

"Order a Thermapen in the next 24 hours and get FREE SHIPPING (FedEx Ground). Use this Promo Code in our shopping cart to activate the free shipping offer. Available only to our email subscribers. Expires Saturday (Jan. 15) at 12:00 noon MST.

CODE: FREESHIP11 "

• 3 weeks later...

San Diego area folks who want a meat grinder - check out this listing on www.sdfreecycle.com

100417 offered - meat grinder - carmel valley

I have an old school hand meat grinder. It is made of metal, it clamps to the counter and has 3 "blades" for different courseness of cuts. it is clean, .....

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Sur la Table Sale

Such a deal!

Tnx for the lead, on this. called and ordered one, and it came the other day, now all I have to do is find something to use it for, I also have to adjust the level of the bowl on the mixer because it hits it..

Bud

• 1 month later...