• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

22 hours ago, kayb said:

Well, I stopped by Aldi yesterday to pick up half and half, cream, and a pineapple, and they had the dehydrators (we're always a little slow here in Arkansas...). So I got one. About to try dehydrating cherries, because I bought some at the grocery a week ago, haven't touched them, and need to do something with them....

I just read your blog.  I'm very interested to know if your bananas dried out.  I tried and tried and just couldn't get them crisp like they are when you buy them dried.

The description sounds like it's the same one I bought at one of Aldi's Australian outlets.

I've used it two or three times. It's okay for the price. It's cheap enough to qualify as a curiosity, I guess. I'm not anywhere near interested enough in dehydrating to be able to justify the cost of an Excalibur, for instance.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

18 hours ago, Shelby said:

I just read your blog.  I'm very interested to know if your bananas dried out.  I tried and tried and just couldn't get them crisp like they are when you buy them dried.

They did, finally. Took about 36 hours. Turned dark, though. I didn't dip them in any preservative.

Cucumbers were kinda fun. I've been munching on them. They're a good snack.

11 hours ago, ChrisTaylor said:

The description sounds like it's the same one I bought at one of Aldi's Australian outlets.

I've used it two or three times. It's okay for the price. It's cheap enough to qualify as a curiosity, I guess. I'm not anywhere near interested enough in dehydrating to be able to justify the cost of an Excalibur, for instance.

That's kind of what I thought. It's a good way to get rid of excess produce I don't want to freeze or can. And I think I may try my hand at jerky. It's obviously not a heavy-duty machine, but should work just fine for my purposes.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

17 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

My Anova has served me well and I have no real need for a second immersion cooker, but I am very tempted to get a Joule at this price.

• Like 1

Just now, rustwood said:

My Anova has served me well and I have no real need for a second immersion cooker, but I am very tempted to get a Joule at this price.

Same deal with me.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I succumbed to the Joule "while supplies last hype".  I guess in a month there will be a lot of used Anova's for sale so I'll probably just keep it.  It will be interesting to see if Anova drops their price at all.

• Like 1

I pre-ordered Joule.  My justification was the small size.  We like to rent an apartment or a house when we travel (say, our upcoming trip to Napa Valley) and it will be easy to bring Joule along.  May be I just wanted a new toy ;)

• Like 1

On 8/8/2016 at 10:13 AM, DiggingDogFarm said:

For thouse who don't want to have to need a phone, just a circluator, Anova has put the Bluetooth model (you don't have to have a Bluetooth device to use it) on sale for $129.00 a couple of times this year.  I suspect we will see this sale again.

I am not knocking the Joule, just providing some additional infor about circulators.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On August 8, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Lisa Shock said:

Now, through 8/22, Ace hardware has wide mouth Ball jars on sale. I myself am particularly fond of the 'pint and a half' straight-sided jar.

The prices for the jars are good but if you just need lids and bands go to Target. Wide mouth lids and bands (box of 12) : Ace: 6.99, Target: 4.39. Regular lids and bands: Ace: 4.99, Target: 3.14.

I do like the 'pint and a half' jars. Luckily for me, the almost- local Ace is just across the road from Target.

• Like 3

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

6 hours ago, ElainaA said:

The prices for the jars are good but if you just need lids and bands go to Target. Wide mouth lids and bands (box of 12) : Ace: 6.99, Target: 4.39. Regular lids and bands: Ace: 4.99, Target: 3.14.

I do like the 'pint and a half' jars. Luckily for me, the almost- local Ace is just across the road from Target.

I bought some jars on special two months ago, and Ace just sent me a coupon for half price wide mouth lids!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stckciv said:

I messaged the people at Anova and asked if they may offer a coupon since the Joule was cheaper. I got an email back with a $50 coupon code for the wifi unit. I ended up getting 3 at $149 each.

I have been immensely impresssed with the Anova customer service people. They don't play.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 6:21 PM, Lisa Shock said:

Now, through 8/22, Ace hardware has wide mouth Ball jars on sale. I myself am particularly fond of the 'pint and a half' straight-sided jar.

Thanks to your heads up, I picked up a dozen, one quart jars at a very nice price.  I may go back and get some smaller jars as well.  Thanks!

• Like 1

... Shel

Expiring this Sunday night (8/21), Penzey's is giving away a 1/2 cup jar of their BBQ 3000 seasoning, no purchase necessary.

If you get their emails, you just print out their coupon and bring it to their store. 

If you shop in their online store:

...Enter 20251C into the apply code box while checking out. Shipping and handling charges will apply, but regular shipping is always free on orders over $30.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

23 hours ago, Shel_B said:

Spice House has free shipping this weekend for orders of $25.00 or more:

Click Here for Details

If you're looking for something to fill out an order there, we very much like their 'peppercorns royale', which is blend of black, white, green, and pink peppercorns.  I also have found their dried lemon and orange peel zest very handy.