• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

Thanks, BeeZee - but which one? I can't find that price except possibly for the LUX models. I see the DUO as still over $100 (unless I also sign up for an Amazon credit card and receive a $50 gift certificate - which I will not do).

its the 6 - in - one

not the 7 - in - one.

Ive never had an issue signing up for a new credit card to get a rebate on the first purchase :  50 minimum, and no fuss are the requirements.

they never imply that you have to use it more than once.

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Thanks, DDF. I may be in the market for another IP (that was the reason I asked) but it will be an IP-DUO 7-in-1, either 5 or 6 qt. The LUX versions do not have both low and high pressure - just higher I believe.

I brought my TMX on this NC trip and I am using it but I am finding I also miss my IP (which I didn't bring). I, like many others, have often wished for a 2nd one at home so I think buying an extra while down south this time might be the right thing to do - aside from the fact that it is a fair bit cheaper in the US anyway, even with exchange.

• Like 1

Let me preface this by stating I rarely shop at Walmart and I "never" buy meat there.

This morning I had to go there to pick up something they carry that the other stores in my area do not.

I had to walk past the MEAT CASE.  

Pork PICNIC SHOULDER - BONE-IN  $1.24 per pound!     This had a nice fat cap, carefully removed, will become chicharrons.

I deboned it still had a LOT of meat  there was not a lot of internal fat in fact I only removed the fat cap, none of the interstitial stuff.  Will cook and freeze it in usable portions.

I bought one - thinking about going back and getting another for the freezer because it has been a while since I have seen pork at a reasonable price.  Total:  $10.58

It is cooking now.  Smells delicious.

Folks with smokers - this would be a good time to stock up.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 5

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

10 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Pork PICNIC SHOULDER - BONE-IN  $1.24 per pound!   ...Folks with smokers - this would be a good time to stock up.  

Agreed.  I think pork prices are way off of the highs they hit a while back (2 years ago?).  I just paid $1.39 lb at my local Wegman's for a bone in boston butt and that was their current regular price.  A day later I was at Costco and saw that they are still charging $1.99 lb for a package of two huge butts.  I asked a buddy and he has also been paying less than $1.50 lb for butts.

• Like 1

They apparently had boneless picnics for $1.78 a pound but someone bought all they had and they won't get another shipment till next Tuesday and can't guarantee they will be at the same price.

I phoned the Walmart over on the west side of Lancaster - same thing, they only have 7 of the bone-in picnics left, all the boneless are gone.

Probably the guy who has the mobile barbecue rig.  I saw it in the parking lot when I was there yesterday morning early.  He does "events" like the air show and the motocross and things like that.  

Cooked it turned out beautifully, very moist, tender, not much grease, perfect pulled pork.

I am going to make pork and sweet potato hash for dinner.  

It's one of the dishes I have found that is greatly improved with the addition of preserved lemon.  

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 4

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

9 hours ago, andiesenji said:

They apparently had boneless picnics for $1.78 a pound but someone bought all they had and they won't get another shipment till next Tuesday and can't guarantee they will be at the same price.

I phoned the Walmart over on the west side of Lancaster - same thing, they only have 7 of the bone-in picnics left, all the boneless are gone.

Probably the guy who has the mobile barbecue rig.  I saw it in the parking lot when I was there yesterday morning early.  He does "events" like the air show and the motocross and things like that.  

Cooked it turned out beautifully, very moist, tender, not much grease, perfect pulled pork.

I am going to make pork and sweet potato hash for dinner.  

It's one of the dishes I have found that is greatly improved with the addition of preserved lemon.  

If you have a Cash & Carry in your area, this is a normal price for 15-20 pound Boston Butt, already boned.

Edited by boilsover
Misspelling. (log)

Some Smart and Final Extras in southern California (same parent corporation) have some of the meat offerings found at Cash and Carry stores.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I received an email from Penzey's that this weekend, they have free shipping for online orders of $20(US) or more.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 5/13/2016 at 7:20 PM, boilsover said:

If you have a Cash & Carry in your area, this is a normal price for 15-20 pound Boston Butt, already boned.

This is the high desert in California.  Often our meat prices are higher than down in the L.A. basin. We have no Cash & Carry.  We have a Smart & Final but it is a half-hour drive and difficult for me.  

The other local markets here have pork picnic shoulder roasts for $2.09 - bone-in.  So this, for me, was a good price.

Penzey's has upped their $ 20 free shipping offer :  a free 1/2 cup jar of Chicago Steak Seasoning included

this is one of my very favorite seasonings  :  burgers, steaks   of course  !  pan roasted a salmon  : Yum

and a little in the mayo of your potato salad    etc.

this is the code online    29959C 

they say ender the code after punching in 7 bucks or:

"""     

No code needed for the $20 regular shipping offer, that's automatic for everyone this weekend. To get your free $8.95 value 1/2 cup jar of Chicago Steak online now just visit us online at penzeys.com and while checking out after reaching $7 in spending enter 29959C into the apply code box. It's easy, but don't delay. Free regular shipping with $20 spending ends midnight tomorrow.

"""

Thermapen is having a 15 % off sale.  I received an email, so i can't give you the ref

however this is new to me :

http://www.thermoworks.com/Surface-Thermapen?utm_source=Nl-2016May18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SurfaceThermapen&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=May2016-SiteWide-Ends-Today-cs

glad they are using their thinking-cap as my mother used to say.

its not for me burt, well, someone is still thinking at thermapen GB

not knowing too much, the sale seems to be related to the email  

this is what it looks like :

TP.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)

For bakers and candy makers: the  folks at Sugarcraft (Ohio, USA) are retiring and closing up shop. Everything is 60% off while it lasts. I just stocked up on candy bar foils. 

www.sugarcraft.com

11 hours ago, rotuts said:

Thermapen is having a 15 % off sale.  I received an email, so i can't give you the ref

however this is new to me :

http://www.thermoworks.com/Surface-Thermapen?utm_source=Nl-2016May18&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SurfaceThermapen&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=May2016-SiteWide-Ends-Today-cs

glad they are using their thinking-cap as my mother used to say.

its not for me burt, well, someone is still thinking at thermapen GB

not knowing too much, the sale seems to be related to the email  

this is what it looks like :

TP.jpg

Rotuts, I hate you.  I received the email too, but had resisted.

Now I've gone and ordered the Surface Thermapen and threw in a Mk4 (orange) for good measure.  I hope at least you get a commission.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Once you get on their mailing list, you will get nearly an ad per day.  We joke that it isn't an official day until the Thermoworks  offers pops into your email box.  And, no, I would never block them because the sales are great and many of the ads include recipes and tips for using their products, Plus, how can you not love a company that includes a tiny package of Jelly Bellys with each order?

• Like 2

yea, the jelly beans are cool.   and I hate jelly beans

@JoNorvelleWalker   

Id like to hear how the surface temp pen works out    Ill have to wait for the next sale of course.   I doubt I get more than one email every two weeks  how do I get more ?

@rotuts I just performed a statistical analysis on my trash.  I get a Thermoworks ad on average one every three days.  (Ten in the last month.)  Some of us must rate.

Now, since I soon should have a surface thermometer, at what temperature should I sear my steak?

Kenji et al

had about 6 interesting vid to look at

they did not have your Fine TP surface probe

but their pans w a touch of oil Just before Le Steak  looked Smoking Hot

About the same here, 11 Thermoworks emails since April 19th.

Which is crazy!!!!

I have a lot of thermometers and stuff but I don't buy very often.

zzB86T4.png

They've sold that surface thermometer for quite a while.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

32 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Kenji et al

had about 6 interesting vid to look at

they did not have your Fine TP surface probe

but their pans w a touch of oil Just before Le Steak  looked Smoking Hot

For someone who purports to be as rigorously scientific as Kenji, he should state a temperature!  From memory -- since this is not the thread to get too technical -- his instruction is to preheat pan on medium, then raise heat to high before adding in the oil and meat.  For me this results in instant acrid smoke and charcoal, not a perfectly seared crust.

Hence the interest in the Thermapen.  I gave some thought to a surface probe for my Agilent but a large heavy thermometer that has to be plugged in and warmed up for half an hour does not make for nimbleness in the kitchen.

Upon checking Kenji calls out for "a hot, hot pan."  What is that in Kelvin?

I am minded of a business trip about a lifetime ago when a friend and coworker dropped her steak behind the stove.  I was drunk, but not that drunk.  She fished it out and ate it anyway.