• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

Darn. I missed it!!!    :sad:

ETA:   Wait! No I didn't! They still have some!!!!!  Off to order now. Thanks Shelby!

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anova (current model) is on sale at Amazon for $119. That's only $10 less than the Anova site (because of a Father's Day sale), but it's still interesting to see it featured on their Lightning Deals. (ends in 2 hours)

Anova Culinary Precision Cooker/Immersion Circulator (Black)

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Save $50 on the Anova Precision Cooker in honor of Father's Day by entering the code "LUVDAD" at their web site. Now I don't remember whether the Father's Day special ends on June 21 or June 23.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

there is a sale of sorts at Themoworks

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html

you get the needle probe for free.

they reeled me right in.

Ill get some of that foamy tape and use the needle probe for some SV  ( some day )

I ordered one of these also (green). What colour did you get?  :smile:

What do you mean by "that foamy tape" for SV?? 

• Like 1

I got purple.  every color is better than green    :raz:

for some reason I don't care much for green

foamy tape is the kind you use for insulating around you windows.

I can't say if what you find at HomeDepot is sticky enough for SV/water but thats what people use

i haven't yet.

http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/adhesive-tape-for-sous-vide.asp

https://www.google.com/search?q=foam+tape+for+sous+vide&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

• Like 1

I keep dithering on the color (nice choices, even though they don't have British Racing Green :raz:), then wonder whether this is a good purchase for me anyway. Does it have a quicker response time than, say, the Taylor or Maverick thermometers I can get for roughly half the price?  Is the needle probe especially wonderful? The alarm functions are nice but these days I'm most concerned with oven temperature swings, and this seems to be strictly for food temperature.  Have I got that right?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Does it have a quicker response time than, say, the Taylor or Maverick thermometers I can get for roughly half the price?

The temperature alarm on/off switch of my 'about half the price' thermometer is flaky. I have overcooked meat more than once because of it.  That's why this unit appeals to me. I purchased one of their Extra Big & Loud Timers in Charcoal and was pleased with the quality and ease of use of the unit. I am hoping for a similar experience with this.  I am also happy with my Thermapen.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I got it for the needle probe

I have a dual channel Maverick w remote and a Poder ( ? ) 

Im just a tiny bit addicted to measurement devices.

the things Ive gotten from this company are first rate

( so far at least )

• Like 2

I got purple.  every color is better than green    :raz:

for some reason I don't care much for green

Heh. I would have gone for blue but green is my husband's favourite colour - I'm hoping to get him more interested in cooking.   :laugh:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know how it happened, but I managed to get a copy of MCAH for $49.  I tried to order it, but they sold out immediately.  I guess when I clicked to buy they put me on the waitlist. Besides that if you're in the market for a Kitchen Aid Stand mixer today is the day to buy.  Also the Anova circulator is $139!  Hurry they just put it on sale, and it was already 20% sold when I noticed it, 5 minutes ago.

Edited by Lbakermathews (log)
  • Like 1

What is MCAH?

Modernist Cuisine at Home

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

there's lots of interesting stuff.  like this :

http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B005MR3IVO/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436976113&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=lube+55+galloon

I do wonder if you can get it in 2 hours, though.

only 3 left so hurry. !

this is really about goosing people to buy Prime, amazon's real money maker.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/27/amazon-prime-spending_n_6556374.html

Edited by rotuts (log)

The Photography of Modernist Cuisine is on sale for the next 42 minutes if anyone is interested.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

After a vastly disappointing and over-hyped amazon.com "sale" I noticed drinkupny.com is offering a flat 10% off on rum -- open as far as I can tell to all within their shipping area.

Don't know about anyone else, but I awarded drinkupny.com my money.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Thanks for posting this. I now have a second BIg&Loud timer (this one for home) and a Timestick, which I will be wearing on the lanyard..  The Timestick isn't quite as loud as they would have you believe but being able to lock the keys, sealed membrane keys :smile: ,  after I start it is a big plus.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;