• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

There have been different discussions reporting good deals for food and/or cooking related items so I thought I would start something more general...a sort of catch-all thread.

I received this info in an email from Amazon.com and have edited all links to make them eGullet-friendly:

"For the Foodie on Your Holiday Gift List -

Save 73% on "Gourmet" and get exclusive savings on 14 other top-shelf

magazines. These prices are available only at Amazon.com and only through

December 25, so hurry!

Gourmet Magazine

Get $5 off a future Amazon.com order when you subscribe to "Bon Appétit"

Get $5 off a future Amazon.com order when you subscribe to "Cook's Illustrated"

Get $5 off a future Amazon.com order when you subscribe to "Sunset"

See our complete selection of food and cooking magazine titles

Prices valid through 11:59 p.m. (Pacific time) December 25, 2004."

Consult Amazon.com for specific details and restrictions to all offers.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

:sad: It may be the end of an era...

Sorry for the double post but I just noticed that the Calphalon Commercial NonStick line of cookware doesn't seem to be listed on Amazon.com anymore if you go through the regular channels (Kitchen & Housewares>Featured Categories>Cookware>Calphalon).

However, if you do a search for "Calphalon Commercial Nonstick", some pieces still show up, though most are no longer in stock.

Here's a Calphalon Commercial Nonstick 10-Inch Stir-Fry Pan currently just under twenty bucks. Buy something else for $5.05 and you may qualify for free shipping.

Tim Oliver

:sad: It may be the end of an era...

Sorry for the double post but I just noticed that the Calphalon Commercial NonStick line of cookware doesn't seem to be listed on Amazon.com anymore if you go through the regular channels (Kitchen & Housewares>Featured Categories>Cookware>Calphalon).

However, if you do a search for "Calphalon Commercial Nonstick", some pieces still show up, though most are no longer in stock.

Here's a Calphalon Commercial Nonstick 10-Inch Stir-Fry Pan currently just under twenty bucks.  Buy something else for $5.05 and you may qualify for free shipping.

Calphalon commercial nonstick has been discontinued. The only pieces that I've seen recently in stores are the 8/10 inch fry pans (in a set).

Amazon frequently has a $25 off deal when you buy $125 or more worth of kitchen stuff (plus you get free shipping). Robyn

• 2 weeks later...

Amazon.com is having their Friday Sale and this looks like a pretty good deal at almost 50% off:

Le Creuset Poterie 10-1/2-by-13-1/4-Inch Deep Dish Baker - Red

They also have the 9-inch Calphalon Commercial Nonstick flat bottomed wok on sale again for about ten bucks, but the customers reviews of the pan aren't very good. I'd recommend the Calphalon Commercial Nonstick 10-Inch Stir-Fry Pan instead that still lists for a good price.

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

I saw this on Amazon.com and thought I would post it.

The link isn't eGullet-friendly (I know how to do it for a single item but not for a multi-page listing) so hopefully a forum host will be able to edit it:

"Big Savings on Ronco Rotisseries"

The price drop is extreme, even for a factory-reconditioned item, and makes me wonder why it happened. America's Test Kitchen (Cooking Illustrated) reviewed them and didn't like them because they weren't that easy to clean up.

I don't own one and have no vested interest in the company or the product.

I just thought I would post it in case someone is interested in them, especially at this price.

Tim Oliver

I saw this on Amazon.com and thought I would post it. 

The link isn't eGullet-friendly (I know how to do it for a single item but not for a multi-page listing) so hopefully a forum host will be able to edit it:

"Big Savings on Ronco Rotisseries"

The price drop is extreme, even for a factory-reconditioned item, and makes me wonder why it happened.  America's Test Kitchen (Cooking Illustrated) reviewed them and didn't like them because they weren't that easy to clean up.

I don't own one and have no vested interest in the company or the product.

I just thought I would post it in case someone is interested in them, especially at this price.

Those are great prices on the Set It and Forget Its. I have one that I've had for several years and I LOVE it. I don't find it that hard to clean and any effort to do so is well worth it.

On another note, I just received the Calphalon griddle that covers 2 burners from Amazon for $40 - list price is $170. I could not resist, as I have just gotten a new gas stove with grates that go all the way across instead of individual. Can't wait to make a big breakfast on it - maybe for dinner tonight!

Edited by Basilgirl (log)

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Toliver,

Thanks for the heads up. I bought couple of the professional II series 10 inch omellet pan and a simply calphalon 6 piece bakeset. All for less the $60. The price was definitely right. I hope the pans and the bakeset is as good.

Soup

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report back. Got the bakeware and the pan. Have used some of the bakeware. I've also used the pan a few times. EXCELLENT. I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I'd recommend it to anyone.

• 1 month later...

From Amazon.com's Friday Sale:

Calphalon Commercial Nonstick 10-Inch Stir-Fry Pan

The Commercial Nonstick line has been phased out by Calphalon so get it while you can.

This is a good sized pan at a great price though it's 2 cents short of free shipping. :hmmm:

I think they price it this way on purpose so you have to buy something else in order to get the free shipping! Call me the cynic! :raz:

The 10-inch pan I have has some heft to it. Sometimes you'll see an offer for a 9-inch version of this pan, but I think this 10-inch is a better buy (better too big than too small).

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

Amazon has the 30th Anniversary hardcover edition of Edna Lewis' "A Taste of Southern Cooking" currently on sale. A good price for a classic southern cookbook.

edited to add: According to the Amazon description:

This commemorative edition contains a new preface from her editor, Judith Jones, and a foreword by Alice Waters.
Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

There's some pretty good prices on Le Creuset on Williams-Sonoma right now. I bought that little soup pot for my future MIL and I almost stole it for myself once I saw it in person!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Williams-Sonoma, they have a monster-sized Le Creuset pot in their clearance section:

Le Creuset Oval Dutch Oven, 15 1/2 Qt.

Available in either Sonoma Blue or Dijon.

That's almost the same price I paid for their 7 & 1/2 qt. dutch oven in a kitchen store in San Diego. :hmmm::angry:

They also have these set of 4 Cedar Grilling Planks on sale.

If for any reason the links don't work, go to their "Sale" section on their website.

edited for spellling.

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

From Aug 18 till the 27th Costco.com is offering the Saeco Incanto Rondo RS SBS Super Automatic Espersso machine for $649.99 including shipping (which is $150 off the regular price). It looks like you can make two cups at the same time, so it might even work for a small cafe.

• 2 weeks later...

Kitchen etc has started free Super Saver shipping on everything everyday. No more special codes or limitations for specific products.

We are happy to announce that all items now ship free*, every day! There is no minimum purchase amount required and no coupon necessary. Just browse, buy and ship!

*Free shipping on all items only applies to items shipped via Super Saver shipping. Super Saver Shipping not available on shipments to AK, HI or U.S. Territories. Cannot be applied to previous purchases. Terms subject to change at any time.

Tim Oliver

• 2 months later...

Friend linked me to this and I think its an awesome deal for someone looking for a rice cooker and/or electric tabletop grill (Its winter, indoor grilling sounds nice!). I don't know how to edit it to an egullet-friendly link so hopefully a mod can do it for me.

1. Sanyo ECJ-D100S 10-Cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker/Steamer, White with Stainless Accent

Link: Rice Cooker

2. Sanyo HPS-SG3 200-Square-Inch Electric Indoor Barbeque Grill, Black

Link: Grill

You have to scroll down to the bottom and click on the Buy both and save instead of adding each individually , then apply code NOVSAVER at checkout.

Item(s) Subtotal: $155.70

Shipping & Handling: $22.37

Best Value Savings: $-39.95

Super Saver Discount: $-22.37

Promotional Certificate: $-25.00

-----

Total Before Tax: $90.75

Estimated Tax: $0.00

-----

Grand Total: $90.75

Edited to add: Forgot to say that you'd have to buy both to get the deal. The rice cooker itself is more expensive at over $100 than the deal price at $90 so look at it as buying a rice cooker and getting a grill free and with a discount on the ricecooker too! :biggrin:

Edited by jasie (log)

Friend linked me to this and I think its an awesome deal for someone looking for a rice cooker and/or electric tabletop grill (Its winter, indoor grilling sounds nice!). I don't know how to edit it to an egullet-friendly link so hopefully a mod can do it for me.

1. Sanyo ECJ-D100S 10-Cup Micro-Computerized Rice Cooker/Steamer, White with Stainless Accent

Link: Rice Cooker

2. Sanyo HPS-SG3 200-Square-Inch Electric Indoor Barbeque Grill, Black

Link: Grill

You have to scroll down to the bottom and click on the Buy both and save instead of adding each individually , then apply code NOVSAVER  at checkout.

Item(s) Subtotal: $155.70

Shipping & Handling: $22.37

Best Value Savings: $-39.95

Super Saver Discount: $-22.37

Promotional Certificate: $-25.00

-----

Total Before Tax: $90.75

Estimated Tax: $0.00

-----

Grand Total: $90.75

Edited to add: Forgot to say that you'd have to buy both to get the deal. The rice cooker itself is more expensive at over $100 than the deal price  at $90 so look at it as buying a rice cooker and getting a grill free and with a discount on the ricecooker too!  :biggrin:

Thanks so much for posting this. I was looking at this rice cooker (I had gotten an email from mypoints.com) and couldn't think what else to buy to get to the $125 to get the novsaver discount. Well, the saucier I wanted wasn't elegible. This was a great deal.

If anyone else is interested, use the links jasie posted -- one and then the other-- and then the 2 items will be together as a combo when you scroll down. If you just search for the rice cooker you will get an Amazon seller and not the deal, because the rice cooker is on backorder for Amazon until late Nov-early Dec.

• 1 month later...

Calphalon Commercial non-stick omelet pans (12", 10" and 8" sizes) have been popping up at my local Home Goods stores (Home Goods is a TJ Maxx company), so I was able to replace the one that a member of my family trashed.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Hubby and I ran to Williams-Sonoma last night to pick up a new coffee maker and found the Capresso ST600 marked down from $189.99 to $149.99. Imagine our pleasure when it actually rang up at $89.99!

There are three on eBay right now so I'm guessing this wasn't just at our store.

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetables are what food eats."

--

food.craft.life.

The Lunch Crunch - Our daily struggle to avoid boring lunches

• 1 month later...

Hey - I did a search and don't think this is a repost, but I just stumbled onto what I think is a decent deal for anyone considering either an IR gun style surface thermometer or a thermocouple based instant read probe thermo. ThermoWorks has a special on an IR gun that allows you to plug in one of the standard probes - you get both for $99 plus about $6 shipping (at least for me). I was on the fence about buying a ThermoPen type thermometer - it's about $80 or more on its own. This is more of a 2-in-1 type deal where you use the probe only when you need it. It's two pieces instead of just a ThermoPen or just an IR gun, but if you want both, this seems to be a pretty cost effective way to do it. Just FYI for you Kitchen Consumers...

Standard disclaimer applies - I have nothing to do with this company, just placed an order yesterday and they seem to have good reviews on the products from CI, Alton Brown, etc.

Cheers,

RDaneel

Nice!

I got an IR/Laser thermometer as a gift that I use in my coffee roasting. Have found many uses. I also use a digital thermoprobe K style in my roaster to monitor temps. I have found so many uses for the IR thermometer. Lots of use in the kitchen or even to check the temperature outside before walking out on those cold mornings. Just point and shoot. In the kitchen this combo thermometer would be great. Check the temp of a pan or oil with the IR and the internal temp of a roast with the thermoprobe. Not too much more than the thermopen instant read

Thanks for the tip RDaneel! I've been wanting to get a thermometer for quite some time -- I love the 2-in-1 idea.

I have what may be a stupid question, but can I leave the probe in the roast/chicken/etc. while it's cooking in the oven? Is the wire connected to the probe heat-resisitant enough for that use? And will the high ambient temps of the oven make the reading inaccurate? I didn't see that detailed in the specs, but perhaps it's something that everyone knows already and I'm just out of the loop.

shengcai - I don't think this is oven safe, you'd need a traditional probe thermometer. However, because you don't need the quick read or super slim probe that a thermocouple unit gives, you can get a thermistor-based digital probe for about $20-30. I have one and love it, think it was from William Somoma or LNT or something. Unfortunately there's no all in one unit that does immersion (candy/oil), oven roasting (probe), instant read, and surface tems (IR)! I'll still have three digital thermos after this one arrives, but at least it isn't four...