• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, gfweb said:

That is a very good deal, plus shipping is free.  Unfortunately, the timing isn't right for me just now ... and I don't really need them, but it's usually difficult for me to pass up on a truly good deal. Thanks for the link and the info.

• Like 1

... Shel

On 9/9/2016 at 1:20 PM, Shel_B said:

That is a very good deal, plus shipping is free.  Unfortunately, the timing isn't right for me just now ... and I don't really need them, but it's usually difficult for me to pass up on a truly good deal. Thanks for the link and the info.

I don't truly need them, either, but that hasn't stopped me before, and didn't this time, either. What tipped the scale was W-S's bonus coupon for signing up for their email list -- 15% off plus free shipping, which took an already-good $99.95 down to $84.96 plus tax. The down side, such as it is, is that the pans won't ship until approximately November 5. Learning to deal with delayed gratification is good, so they say.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, chefmd said:

Enabler. :P

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Prompted by a post from @Anna N in another thread, I took a peek to see what I could find very inexpensively for my Kindle. Most likely to be of interest here are Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi ($2.99) and Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads ($1.99).

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

41 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

Prompted by a post from @Anna N in another thread, I took a peek to see what I could find very inexpensively for my Kindle. Most likely to be of interest here are Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi ($2.99) and Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads ($1.99).

Wow. Couldn't resist the Greenspan even though I have it in hardcover. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

44 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Wow. Couldn't resist the Greenspan even though I have it in hardcover. 

Are you two talking about the above-linked bookdepository.com?  I only see paperback and hardbound books as an option.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Are you two talking about the above-linked bookdepository.com?  I only see paperback and hardbound books as an option.

No. This is Kindle ebook format, from Amazon.

And like Anna, I couldn't resist the Greenspan either. Better for drooling on my pillow at night. :biggrin:

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Nope. Amazon. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Smithy said:

And in one of those embarassing discoveries found the bread book already on my Kindle!  But I was led to a bread recipe that I have to try.  So double thanks.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

*Sigh* Greenspan's book is on its way to my tablet, along with Jenn Louis' Pasta by Handir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00PMUG4B.  $2.99 Kindle books are difficult to resist!  I look, say, at a recipe or a map, and think: "Yeah, I'd pay 3 bucks for that."  And I can travel with it. What more justification could I need?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

*Sigh* Greenspan's book is on its way to my tablet, along with Jenn Louis' Pasta by Handir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00PMUG4B.  $2.99 Kindle books are difficult to resist!  I look, say, at a recipe or a map, and think: "Yeah, I'd pay 3 bucks for that."  And I can travel with it. What more justification could I need?

I just wonder how one discoveries these incredible  bargains except by happenstance. But perhaps it's better I don't know.xDxD

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Gaah!  The Perfect Peach: Recipes and Stories from the Masumoto Family Farmir?t=egulletcom-20&l=am2&o=1&a=B00AP2XVM is only $1.99 today!  Of course it's in my tablet now.  For those of you who don't know, David Mas Masumoto and his family are peach farmers in California's Central Valley, not far from where I grew up.  His essays and books make lovely reading, and I have at least one other of his books.  I didn't know they had a cookbook out, until now. If I like the Kindle version well enough, I'll be buying a hardbound copy or two.  For gifts, of course.

I simply must stop looking at that darned Amazon website. If my tablet were a shopping bag, it would be bursting with today's prizes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Chez Panisse menu cookbook and The River Cottage Preservs handbook are 1.99 on Amazon kindle

Strangely The preserves handbook is not showing up on .ca or .com. 

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Search for Pam Corbin in Kindle books.

Still no hits. Not to worry. My bank account is happier. 

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, rustwood said:

Thanks I went for the River Cottage book

That is interesting because what I am seeing from your link is no price given for the Kindle edition and over on the top right a notation that this book is not available for sale.    Perhaps I am persona non-grata!   Edited to add screenshot.

image.png

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the tips, guys!  I don't have a Kindle but I've been reading a lot of ebooks from the library on my iPad so I figured I should try out some ecookbooks to see how I like them.

I bought Dorie's book, the Masumoto Farm Perfect Peach book and the River Cottage Preserves book.  

• Like 1