• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Current sales, deals, and bargains

Toliver

Id love to have their 'entry' IR gun, however Im not sure I could master the calibration on the surface reflectivity. doesnt that add a variable that can put a reasonable reading off by enough to be significant?

I use it on my pizza stones.. and cooking oils for frying!!

Its like playing with Hand grenades .. close is fine!! :)

I think it states Max error @ +/- 4C @ 200 degrees

Its good to have Morels

I don't need, my other one works just fine...I don't need, my little crappy one works just fine...I don't need, my little crappy one works just fine...

Ordered.

You won't be sorry. After using it for awhile, most people wonder why they put it off for so long...

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I certainly didn't need 3 but somehow 3 ended up in my cart. Thanks for the link.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

Anybody have or use the ThermoWorks probe oven thermometer? I'm not sure I can justify $69 for a thermometer, but I'm looking for a quality replacement for the crappy Taylor probe thermometer I have that went on the fritz after a few months.

I have the probe oven thermometer and it works great - I bought an extra probe and cable when I got it because I had problems with my other one but I've been using this one for two years and the original cable is still good.

I also have the Eco-Temp Alarm thermometer that I use when I make yogurt - or anything that I want to know when the temp drops to a certain point or rises to a certain temp. It is very accurate and save me from having to keep checking the temp of a half gallon of hot milk and I also use it to check on hot oil - the top temp is 390°F.

I have two or three of the probe holders that clip on the side of a bowl or pot. In the "Accessories" list. I recommend them for any probe type thermometer with a "remote" readout.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My Thermapens just arrived! Throwing out my crappy Taylor.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

I too have the oven probe thermometer. It's great - so far it's lasted 3 years with heavy usage. Replaced one from some other company that didn't even last three months.

I actually use the oven probe thermometer for quick reads too - it may not be as fast as a Thermapen, but it suffices.

Id love to have their 'entry' IR gun, however Im not sure I could master the calibration on the surface reflectivity. doesnt that add a variable that can put a reasonable reading off by enough to be significant?

I bought one of their IR guns some time ago. The reading can be off by as much as 20C depending on what you point it at. e.g. a piece of scum floating on a bath of hot oil might register 20C hotter than the oil around it ... which is, of course, not possible. I calibrate it mentally myself every time I use it. I check the reading against my Thermapen, note how far it is off, then factor that in when I take a reading.

It's not perfect, but it works.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I just got a "Splash Proof Super Fast" Thermapen too. Thanks for the promotion link.

The site says that the Thermapen can be used to make candy. I have a CDN deep-frying and candy thermometer and, although it comes with a clip that attaches to the pot, I always have trouble keeping it there (one time it fell to the back, splashing hot oil all over me - not fun). Also, since I never make large amounts of caramel, the thermometer often doesn't reach the top of the caramel and can't read the temperature.

I see that the Thermapen doesn't have a clip, and I didn't see onr in the accesories list in their site either. How do people use the Thermapen when making caramel or deep frying? Do you have a trick that keeps it firmly attached to the pot?

How do people use the Thermapen when making caramel or deep frying? Do you have a trick that keeps it firmly attached to the pot?

I've never used my thermapen in a prolonged applicaition. A candy thermometer may be better for caramel or a wired probe thermometer. I spot check my oil when frying.

do not use the TP for anything over something hot in a prolonged way. the heat might damage the plastic either over the carmel or the burner.

lets just say politely that I may or may have not tried this myself. If I did try this or not, I won't again.

OK got it, thanks for the answers. So the Thermapen will replace my old crappy OXO meat thermometer, but not my candy thermometer.

I am wondering if anyone has tried their oven probe thermometer with the clip accessory to make caramel.

Not a Thermoworks (mine are Pyrex brand) - but that's what I use for caramel - without the clip - just hang it over the side of the pan.

OK got it, thanks for the answers. So the Thermapen will replace my old crappy OXO meat thermometer, but not my candy thermometer.

I am wondering if anyone has tried their oven probe thermometer with the clip accessory to make caramel.

Yes. I wrote about it above. I use it for deep frying too. I have several of the probe clips - I bought a couple and thought I had lost one so ordered more - meanwhile found the one (stored in a plastic bag with the high/low alarm thermometer) > I use them for anything that has to be held at a certain temp - chocolate - I also use one clipped to the side of a fondue pot - certain cheeses get very OILY if the heat is too high and I have yet to find an electric fondue pot that has accurate temp settings. ( However, today there was a review of them on Cook's Country and I just ordered the Trudeau fondue pot that was recommended.)

I use the remote probe thermometer with the clip when I am cooking jams, jellies, etc.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I was in the market for a few Chicago Metallic items for my Toaster Ovens. Im a fan of Chicago Metallic so took a trip to BB$B

it seems when Chicago Metallic changes their packaging the older products w the sl different package are deeply discounted

the CM item are the same. just the package

CM has a toaster oven set: $ 17 new package $ 11 older package, CM meatloaf 'tin' w insert to pull meatloaf out: $ 15 newer, 10 older

all qualify for 20 % off coupons.

its not a 'thrift store find' but the best I can do in my area.

:biggrin:

Macy's has select Fagor pressure cookers discounted.

From the "Techbargains" web site, their description:

"Macy's is offering 40% off select Fagor 18/10 Stainless Steel Pressure Cookers starting at only$36.00. Free Shipping on orders $99+, otherwise shipping starts at $9."

Here's the link to Macy's web site (click).

FYI...I have no idea which one is best to order or how long the sale will be on. I just know that the Fagor brand has come up often in the eGullet discussion about pressure cookers which is why I am posting this.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Macy's has select Fagor pressure cookers discounted.

From the "Techbargains" web site, their description:

"Macy's is offering 40% off select Fagor 18/10 Stainless Steel Pressure Cookers starting at only$36.00. Free Shipping on orders $99+, otherwise shipping starts at $9."

Here's the link to Macy's web site (click).

FYI...I have no idea which one is best to order or how long the sale will be on. I just know that the Fagor brand has come up often in the eGullet discussion about pressure cookers which is why I am posting this.

I have the 5 piece set - love it!