• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The impact of World Wars 1 & 2 on drinks culture?

evo-lution

Started reading Doxat again last night. In the first chapter he briefly touches upon the subject of drinks culture during the World Wars (specifically in Europe) and it's got me thinking of a couple of things, the impact it had at the time and in the years after the event/s, and whether I can drink Martinis all day today. :unsure:

It seems to be something that's rarely spoken about when discussing the history of mixed drinks and I'm now curious to know if there are any writings/musings/resources that cover the subject which I'm currently unaware of?

Prohibition is rightly mentioned as having had a negative impact on culture in the US but War in Europe, around the same few decades, seems to never be mentioned for whatever reason. I suspect this may be due to the US-centric attitude toward cocktail history in respect of the fact that we have a clear understanding of drinks during the 1800s up to Prohibition, which is where cocktail history typically ends other than the brief sojourn with tiki drinks, and now the renaissance over the last two-three decades. Anyway, I digress...

Considering the countries involved (UK, Germany, France, Italy, et al), the products they produce/d, the many lauded bartenders plying their trade at the time, and the adverse effect on the general public, it seems to me that it's something that would've impacted hugely, before, during and after the Wars.

For example, I remember reading somewhere about the effect the bombing of London Docks had on a number of rum producers, which goes to show how wide the affect would have been.

So, are there any society members who have any knowledge of what is undoubtedly going to be a wide subject? Any that are aware of literature I should check out?

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

Temperance and Prohibition are of course the big stories in the early 20th Century US cocktail scene, but the wars were difficult as well, since the output of beverage alcohol was severely restricted as distilleries produced for the war effort. Rubber and explosives, among I'm sure many other things, require alcohol for their production, and of course both of those items are in high demand in modern militaries. I'f I'm not mistaken, the war years (WW2) would give rise to the popularity of tall drinks like the Cuba Libre and the Highball. Puerto Rico had a territorial exemption from the distilling restrictions, and Coca-Cola was exempt from sugar rationing on the condition that they provided (free?) Coke to the GIs. So there you go, you find yourself a lime and you can make a pretty decent drink. The Highball's popularity parallels the increase in blended whiskey production in an effort to stretch aged whiskey stocks. Keep in mind Repeal Day and Pearl Harbor were only 8 years apart, almost to the day, in a time when a ten year age statement was relatively common for quality straight whiskey. And by Pearl Harbor, the US was already just short of war footing, having seen the writing on the wall for some time.

Certainly you can bet that importing specialty liqueurs was a low priority for the shipping board. On the upside, the nascent Tiki movement, with all of it's required ingredients readily available from the Caribbean, flourished.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but "Wine and War" is a book about what the French did with their wine during German occupation. Interesting stuff.

Funnily enough I've already ordered that book, thanks for recommending anyway.

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings