• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Angus beef? 'generic' beef?

rotuts

once one masters the proper cooking technique for beef based on cut

do members here taste the difference between Angus beef and generic from a "good" supermarket?

Alton Brown on one of his meat shows says not to consider Angus as its a marketing ploy

granted Markets market, ie get you to spend a little more for maybe not much more.

My local small family chain in a remodel added a meat aging cooler where they age meat for 30-45 days (tender cuts) then sell it as dry aged which it is

they charge at least 24.00 US for these steaks. I got one. it was dry and had no true special taste

the I realized they and other stores were dry aging "choice" not prime

the flavor of dry aged comes from the fat, and choice has very little

that being said I dry age all my meat carefully in the refrig covered loosely in cheese cloth for 3 - 5 days and can taste that difference.

I'm going to yes, but I don't think it's because it's Angus in particular. We buy our beef directly from the farmer, and the care he puts into their feed and exercise is what I think really makes the difference. When we ran out and had to get from the supermarket, the difference in color, flavor, and fat content was very obvious. That being said, beef from other breeds raised at the same standards is just as good when we've bought from other farmers.

Hi,

Even "Certified Angus Beef" (which may not be from angus steers) is sold in different quality levels. We have two competitors selling "Certified Angus Beef" cuts and there is an obvious and consistent difference in the marbling between the stores.

Tim

Angus is just a capacious beef category meaning "having a black hide." 60% of the beef in the US is Angus by that definition. Certified Angus is a different thing altogether, and then there are many other factors.

In short, it's a thicket. I reported on this a while back in this topic.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

For what its worth... in Mexico where much of the beef cattle in the north is Angus (correct me if I am wrong but I believe most American cattle descends from the cattle brought by the Spaniards as well)... taste tests by the Cattle industry have generally yielded Limousine cattle (from French stocks) as the best marbling & flavor (although I am not sure if anyone in Mexico is raising Wagyu)... and for slow cooked cuts Grass Fed Sebu is the hands down winner (some of that might be cultural as mainstream American palettes tend to shy away from stronger tasting, gamier meats).