• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Converting a Loaf to Rolls

Kim Shook

Hi Kim, when I make Reinhart's Classic White Bread, whether as a loaf, burger bun, or roll, they do the final rise until nearly doubled in size. The only variation PR notes in his recipe is to bake the rolls & buns at a higher temp, for a shorter period of time, than when baking the loaves. HTH.

I'd say that you can form them into rolls at step 7, then wait for them to rise until they are nearly doubled...how long that will take is anyone's guess, but I'm guessing it will take about the same amount of time as a loaf, give or take.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

If the dough were chilled before it was shaped, the rolls would warm and thus rise faster than the loaf, but otherwise the rolls should rise just as fast as the loaf.

Baking temp/time is affected by the size, shape, & density (in the pan) of the rolls. A deep pan packed with rolls that merge together as they rise needs nearly the same baking time as a single loaf, and doesn't need a hotter oven; a flat sheet of thin small rolls that stay separate while rising and baking will bake a lot quicker.

The first time you go from loaves to rolls, as the others suggested, you will have to play around a bit with times and temperatures. However, one thing you can rely on is the internal temperature of the dough to be the same. Whatever the internal temperature of the loaf is when it is finished (anywhere from 190-205, depending on whether it is an enriched dough or not), that should be the same temperature you shoot for in the rolls.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Thanks again for all the advice. My rolls worked perfectly. We had my MIL over for dinner last night and I wanted to make them ahead of time and freeze them. I made them on Tuesday night and thawed them yesterday morning. The dough worked out very well as rolls. Great crust and a good interior.

med_gallery_3331_119_152615.jpg

Close up:

med_gallery_3331_119_112427.jpg

I really love the color that the turmeric gives the bread.

• 1 year later...

I have to bake some bread for work. Purely because it's ideal for the situation, I want to make dinner rolls--perhaps small enough to fit on the palm of your hand--instead of regular-sized loaves. The recipe I'm working from is the base recipe in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (altho' I'm making some small modifications to a couple of batches). Aside from reducing the baking time, is there anything else I need to be aware of or modify (i.e. more/less moisture?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between