• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vending Machine Dreams

Chris Amirault

About to spend a day in hospital waiting rooms and other public spaces, I'm wondering about what sort of goodies will tempt me in the vending machines. As this is the US, not Japan, my hopes are low; if I can find a bag of SmartFood (cheesy popcorn) or Nutter Butter cookies, I will be content. Now, if I were in Tokyo....

When you are heading towards a vending machine, what do you hope you'll spy there?

Posted from my handheld using the Tapatalk app. Want to use eG Forums on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry? Get started at http://egullet.org/tapatalk

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Haven't been to the vending machines at work in a while but I used to crave gardettos. Another guilty vending machine pleasure would be the cheddar ruffles potato chips.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

Is this something you envision?

Or this?

A friend's son, who recently graduated from Northwestern, recently started working for this company as a traveling rep.

They are placing them in upscale malls, colleges, large game arcades and etc., possibly hospitals.

They are in what must be considered a "niche" market so as yet do not have wide distribution but folks, such as my friend, are spreading the word to people who might be interested. (She worked in the hospitality/hotel industry for thirty years so has a lot of contacts.)

I have to confess that I printed out the info from the web page and gave it to one of my local friends who works in management at the local mall. They do have a food court but it is a long, long trek from one end of the mall to there and on weekends, when the multiplex theater - across from the food court, is going full tilt, it is time consuming to stand in line and then find a table. They do have a few "basic" vending machines but I thought this would be a great addition.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

We have an ice cream treat machine at my office. I've never bought anything from it, but I've been tempted. I have steered away, because everything in it is huge and I can't eat that much ice cream/cookie/chocolate/whatever all at once.