• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dorchester – Lyme Regis – Beer recommendations May 2011

Our trip to England that I’ve posted about is finally SET! We have all of our transportation and accommodations and now I need to know where to eat. I have done lots of searching here and have gotten some good information, but our trip has gotten pretty specific by now and so I thought I’d post those questions. I am going to put a few different posts in with the same 1st paragraph to explain, but if I’ve made a mistake in doing that I’m sure that someone will tell me!

We are going to be doing a lot of rambling – and will have a car (except in London), so we’d prefer places that are more casual (we’ll likely be wearing jeans or khakis/chinos – I don’t know what you all call them – tan trousers), that don’t need reservations. We’d love information on anything that we shouldn’t miss including pubs, pub meals, afternoon tea, fish and chips, etc. - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thank you all so much for your help!

On Sunday, we’ll be driving from Dorchester in the morning through Lyme Regis and on to Beer. We are seeing my aunt, who lives in Beer. I’m not sure yet what time she’ll be available, though I suspect lunchtime – so any good places for lunch in Beer? She is elderly and almost blind (bright lights would bother her eyes) – so somewhere quiet. So depending on her availability, we could be in Lyme Regis anytime. We want to see the shore, so ideas off the track of ‘Dorchester/Lyme Regis/Beer’ in that direction would be wonderful.

Probably the nicest Sunday lunch venue in Beer is Steamers.

Fresh, local produce; plenty of seafood.

The three pubs are OK, but nothing special.

Me, I usually take my fish and chips and a bottle of cider down to the beach.

By the way, we call them chinos, too.

Edited by apshelbourne (log)

ap - Steamers sounds perfect, but when I went to the website, it said that they were closed on Sundays. Maybe we can pick up that fish and chips you were mentioning and take it to her house. She might even prefer that.

Jenni - thank you, ma'am! Sotanos is going on the list!

Sorry about that, Kim. I think it opens on Sundays in high season. I'm sure I've lunched there in August.

The fish & chip shop is pretty good. And there's an off-licence (liquor store) opposite that does some good local ciders (the hard stuff, that is) and beers.

Sorry about that, Kim. I think it opens on Sundays in high season. I'm sure I've lunched there in August.

The fish & chip shop is pretty good. And there's an off-licence (liquor store) opposite that does some good local ciders (the hard stuff, that is) and beers.

That's fine - I really think that the fish and chips is a good idea anyway. Thanks also for the off-licence recommendation - I am not a beer drinker (though, Mr. Kim is) and I'm sure that I'll be drinking a lot of cider on our trip!