• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxford – Cotswolds recommendations May 2011

Our trip to England that I’ve posted about is finally SET! We have all of our transportation and accommodations and now I need to know where to eat. I have done lots of searching here and have gotten some good information, but our trip has gotten pretty specific by now and so I thought I’d post those questions. I am going to put a few different posts in with the same 1st paragraph to explain, but if I’ve made a mistake in doing that I’m sure that someone will tell me!

We are going to be doing a lot of rambling – and will have a car, so we’d prefer places that are more casual (we’ll likely be wearing jeans or khakis/chinos – I don’t know what you all call them – tan trousers), that don’t need reservations. We’d love information on anything that we shouldn’t miss including pubs, pub meals, afternoon tea, fish and chips, etc. – breakfast, lunch and dinner. Thank you all so much for your help!

We’ll only be in Oxford part of one day and will be doing a tour from 2pm – 4pm. We may also be meeting a cousin who is a new professor at the university for a drink, so ideas for that would be nice, since he may not know of good places yet. We’ll be driving from Oxford to Cirencester (where we will be staying for the next two days) that afternoon/evening. We’ll need dinner somewhere – Oxford? Cirencester or somewhere along the way?

So we’ll have two full days in the Cotswolds – staying in a cottage in Cirencester. We’ll be going to Painswick, Bourton-on-the-Water, Bibury, Chipping Camden and Upper & Lower Slaughter (doing ‘The Ramble’). The cottage is self-catering, so if there is somewhere amazing to buy supplies, I might be willing to cook a meal.

Thanks, Tim. I would dearly love to eat at your place!! I went to the website when I first asked for help and you responded and it looks truly amazing. I'm really sorry that it won't work out for us this trip. I've put The Perch and The Trout on our Oxford list - I went to their websites and they both look wonderful.

I can do the Cirencester recs!!

Made by Bob in the Cornhall, Cirencester just off the main marketplace is required eating! Really relaxed deli/bistro/cafe with a great eat around open plan kitchen.

Bibury Court Hotel for afternoon tea, great walks around to be had too!

Swan at Southrop (near Lechlade) for a gastropub,named GFG resto of the year last year, do reserve though especially at the weekend, as the whole of London rocks up for lunch and dinner!!

and of course you are always welcome to drop in on us at Fairford, between Cirencester and Lechlade - we have no dress code!!

Erica

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

• 8 months later...

Gee's is nothing special. A nice location but for the price the food isn't great. It's one of the better restaurants in Oxford though.

Luna Caprese is worth a look, a great little Italian trattoria style place. Not many know about it.

Brasserie Blanc and Jamies Italian i'd say are the best chain restaurants in Oxford.

If you want to leave the city centre I can give some good recommendations!

what would you suggest?

Within Oxford itself I would agree that Brasserie Blanc is reasonable, and I have heard reasonable reports of Jamie's Italian, although I haven't been there myself.

A smaller, non-chain, place within Oxford to consider is Edamame - it is not "fine dining" as such but provided you like Japanese food it's worth trying; they don't take reservations so I think you need to get there promptly after they open to guarantee a table.

One place to consider outside the centre, but still close to Oxford is The Magdalen Arms on Iffley Road (minimal website here) which has a Bib Gourmand. Further afield there is the Nuttree Inn at Murcott which is also definitely worth a visit.

• 1 month later...

Belated thanks to everyone for your replies.

Excitingly, today the Manoir called and said they'd had a cancellation so we are in for dinner on Feb 17th! So see you there Tim!

Will probably play it by ear for the rest of our stay - will definitely visit the Ashmolean so may do lunch there Saturday or the Perch if the weather's up to a walk.

Funny to see that the Magdalen Arms is now known for food - my first college digs were on Iffley Rd so spent a few nights in there although as you'd expect the emphasis wasn't really on food.