• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to clean stains out of white jackets?

gastronaut

So I have a few of my best fitting, most comfortable jackets sitting at the far end of my closet for one reason. They all have a slightly discolored stain on them that I can't bare to look at. I couldn't tell you what exactly stained them, a mix of curry, olive oils and such. One is 100% egyptian cotton, and the other a normal 6oz pima.

So question being - anyone have some tips to reconstituting(ha) life into them again?

A vision without action is a Daydream; Action without vision is a Nightmare.

It drives me insane that chef jackets are made out of cotton, poly cotton when there is a plethora of high tech fabrics that would work infinitely better. I've contacted a few makers and they aren't even remotely willing to move beyond the old stuff. grr...

Tie dye your jackets. :angry:

Not a chef but my daughter spilled half a bottle of syrah on my favorite summer white Egyptian cotton shirt. We were at a restaurant so immediate soaking was not an option and it set. Oxyclean applied as a paste and then soaked in the washer for an hour. It took multiple tries but eventually it came out looking none the worse for wear. I would imagine any of the "oxy" type products would work the same. Good luck.

My wife just cleaned our babies cloth diapers with baking soda and white vinegar (a total of two or three wash cycles, I believe). Stains AND smells seem to be completely gone. If it's good enough for a babies butt, it should work for your favorite jacket (which might be your baby).

From personal experience, the quicker the treatment the better the results. I always keep a stain treatment on hand in the kitchen to apply right after service, for myself and the rest of the cooks who wish to use it. I've tried them all, but but without applying a scientific approach to testing, have found them all relatively effective. If not washing right away, I will apply a slurry of granulated detergent and water to the stain to re-freshen both the stain and the pre-stain treatment I applied at the time of the infraction. I'll let it re-hydrate about 15 to 30 min before starting the wash.

I swear by oxyclean. For the most difficult stains I get the fabric wet, make a paste of the oxyclean and use a brush to scrub it into the fabric, and then leave a thick paste of it on the fabric for at least an hour, brush again, launder. That stuff is magic.

You can put OxyClean in the washer, start the machine and let it run just until it's full of water and agitates enough to dissolve the powder. Then turn it off and allow to soak for a half-hour. Then start is back up, add detergent, and let it finish as usual. This will get most stains out.

For really, really bad stains, I use White Bright. This stuff is pretty intense, so be careful! It may remove the color from embroidery. That said, it removes accumulated minerals and old bleach buildup -which is often the cause of yellowing of whites over time.

For spot treatment before washing, the Spray n Wash stick is very good. A few years back I did some tests of various pre-treat sticks for a corporate client and this one worked the best, you can also treat and wait up to a week to wash.

I like to wear a Tide pen in my uniform jacket sleeve pocket. It's useful, and gets rid of a lot of stains. Those it doesn't work on entirely are minimized greatly. (frozen blueberry will become a pale blue haze)

If your water has minerals, like the water in the Phoenix area, bleach will cause whites to yellow slowly over time. After about 20 washings with bleach, jackets have a distinct hue. If you walk the halls of the local culinary schools you can tell who is close to graduating because of their dingy yellow jackets.

• 2 weeks later...

What i discovered when i went to culinary school (NECI) then discovered that my great grandmother used the same product was fels-naptha.

fantastic stuff. cheap, and easy. just get the stain wet and scrub the fels-naptha into it, a brush works ideally but when i first started using it i would just rub the bar on the stain. (you buy it as a yellow bar of soap) some stains come out immediately. It's the only thing i've seen get out carbon and chocolate with ease. and it's only like a dollar.

cheers.

When I was catering, and wore white jackets and my helpers wore white aprons, I washed them myself if they weren't too stained, using bleach in a pre-wash and then regular detergent.

Every three or four wearings, and if they had tough stains, I took them to a professional laundry.

I don't know what they used but they were returned brilliant white and I did not have the hassle.

It wasn't all that expensive.

I have some large, white damask tablecloths and also napkins - I take them to a laundry because I don't like to iron and they return them in a plastic wrapper for ease of storing and they are stain-free, wrinkle-free and white.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Give Seventh Generation's baby detergent a try. The product has an extra enzyme to break down protein based stains caused by overloaded diapers. It also seems to work well for food stains on kitchen towels.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.