• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Modernist Cuisine: the hypothetical scalper topic

It looks like MC is sold out. Some sellers say no more copies until July. Obviously, the demand has caught people by surprise for this $500 set of books. So, here's the (hypothetical) question. How high would you go to get a copy in your hands in the next few days? THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION people. I don't have any to sell.

How crazy are the foodies here? And, not only do I want to know high high you'd go, but what you'd sacrifice to get one? Sell you car? Sell you iPhone? Sell your mother? Eat Ramen for a year?

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

I'm with AaronM. I will patiently wait for my copy. I have enough things to keep me busy until then. The more items I can get in order before it arrives, the more time I will have to focus on the books once in hand! But hypothetically speaking? If I had the means, I would offer to buy the original copy sent to NathanM for $5,000, so long as the proceeds went to the effort to aid Japan!

Edited by Jeffery C (log)

If I could save $100, I'd be happy to wait until July, I'm not quite clear why somebody would pay extra to got it NOW. It's - after all - just books. They don't go bad or depend on the seasons :laugh:

I have so many books I have not made one dish from, there's really no rush to get more.

But then, I'll never understand the people that camp out in front of the Apple store for a week so they can be among the first to have some gadget I could just pick up a week or two later w/o having to wait a minute.

I don't even care much about 1st edition (particularly if a 2nd edition has typos and other errors fixed) nor the value it may have in 10 years, as I'm very unlikely to ever sell it.

I do like the idea of auctioning off the first copy (or any copy) of the book though! Maybe have it signed by all that worked on it, then e-bay it and send the money to Japan, I think that's really a neat idea.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

• 1 month later...