• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experiences in France

Chef Forley --

I'd appreciate a discussion of your experiences at Pres d'Eugenie and Arpege, as contrasted with your learning in the US prior to the founding of Verbena. Why did you choose these two restaurants, and what were the dishes (or types of dishes) at each that you found to be particularly appealing? :laugh:

Being able to apprentice in France was a great experience, especially after having a few years experience cooking professionally in New York. It was particularly reassuring to see that American kitchens are great places to work as well. In France, they are further advanced on kitchen gadgets and equipment, especially in the pastry shops. I not only staged at Eugenie Les Bain and Arpege, but I took a great intensive class on breadbaking at Ecole Lenotre outside of Paris, Maison Blanche and worked for a pastry chef near Biarritz called Mandion. I started in Biarritz and I was able to arrange other stages with the other restaurants from this starting point. I wanted to see some of the more progressive kitchens and decided on these. Although I wasn't able to stay a long time in each place, I was able to get an overview of the different kitchens and see the behind the scenes activity - an exciting way to experience a restaurant aside from dining in one. The staff was always welcoming and I found they were very curious about New York. It was definitely a highlight in my cooking career.

Chef Forley -- How long did you remain on average in each place, and were you able to learn within the limited timeframe the overall culinary framework and techniques of some of the restaurants? What were your thoughts on the cuisine of Guerard and others?