• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave-convection ovens

Fat Guy

I'm assuming you need stainless steel, correct? How much of a discount would you receive at Lowe's over and above their 10%-off sale? On sale at Lowe's it's $3689; an additional 5% off would bring it to.$3505 plus tax. Goedeckers has it for $3529 shipped, no tax. If you're near Colorado Springs, Sears Outlet has a floor model for much less.

As a side note, are you familiar with eBates? It's absolutely free. For many, many online shopping sites you receive a rebate, paid by them quarterly via check. Lowe's usually is 2%, but they're offering 4% now. That would bring the net cost of the Bosch down to $3365 plus tax. If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address and I'll have them send you an invitation. That way I get a bonus if you sign up. ^_^

Consumer Reports rates the reliability of Bosch electric ovens second only to GE (10% repairs/problems vs. 8% for GE). If you'd consider a GE, this one at Lowe's looks good, and at $2429 (less 5% = $2308) it's much less expensive than the Bosch. However, given that it sounds like you can handle it financially, and that you intend this to be your last unit, I'd recommend opting for the Bosch. Just make sure an in-home service person is available in your area.

An appliance store near me has an earlier Bosch model, the HBL5750UC (5751 is the current model) on clearance for $2599. The problem, of course, is that you'd need to pay for freight shipping. If you're interested, though, send me a PM with your ZIP code and I can investigate the shipping cost and whether they'd be willing to offer a further discount.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

This Bosch oven is a convection/microwave oven on the upper half and a conventional oven on the lower half. Is that the specific combination you're after? If so, Alex has provided some terrific information above.

Now, at the risk of unwelcome confusion: when I clicked on your link I also saw wall oven combinations with a steam option. In light of the many discussions here on the benefits of steam cooking, I'd give that some thought. (Expense, and how/where to vent the steam, would be two considerations.) If you haven't thought about that, check out these topics:

Built-in combi oven

Steam ovens

Baking Bread in a Steam & Convection Oven (Combi Oven)

and finally, as an example of what steam can do for you, the ever-popular Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven.

Edit: on second thought, you could go with the microwave/standard wall combination and then get the Cuisinart Combo as an auxiliary oven. ;-)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

This Bosch oven is a convection/microwave oven on the upper half and a conventional oven on the lower half. Is that the specific combination you're after? If so, Alex has provided some terrific information above.

Now, at the risk of unwelcome confusion: when I clicked on your link I also saw wall oven combinations with a steam option. In light of the many discussions here on the benefits of steam cooking, I'd give that some thought. (Expense, and how/where to vent the steam, would be two considerations.) If you haven't thought about that, check out these topics:

Built-in combi oven

Steam ovens

Baking Bread in a Steam & Convection Oven (Combi Oven)

and finally, as an example of what steam can do for you, the ever-popular Cuisinart Combo Steam/Convection Oven.

Edit: on second thought, you could go with the microwave/standard wall combination and then get the Cuisinart Combo as an auxiliary oven. ;-)

I did notice that, but it looked like the steam feature was for light-duty self-cleaning, not for baking/cooking.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

OH I AM SO OVERWHELMED!!! just looking at the kitchen gives me migraines!  we stuck the cooktop into the counter (the new one is not done and forget rushing "artists" ) so my new cooktop out of desperation and need is sitting on spacers in my old countertop ..but I can cook now !!! good grief …

I want everything but am old and retired now so my income is truly limited Alex thank you so very much for the advice on how to save! I am going to look more and find the right oven for the right price ..and you are right  I think I can do better on the price ..(I live on the Puget Sound ) 

maybe I need a steam oven? Smitty!!! omg that is what I need…

I have to admit to you now and then run..I broke the previous  two ovens  lining them with tiles cranking them up full blast and  throwing water in to  steam sourdough ..I have calmed down now …and will not do what I did to a new oven again ..and am building a bread oven in the yard …

thank you so very much for the response 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 2
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Are you wedded to getting an oven + microwave unit? (In some models the microwave can function as a second oven.) If not, I assume you'd have the necessary counter space for a separate microwave. Would you then want a double oven or would a single oven do? (If single, I imagine you then can use the extra space for shelving, etc.)

Following up on Alex's comment, I'll throw out another cost-saving idea, even though I suspect you may be too far into things to use it.  Some years ago, during her kitchen reno,  my mom balked at the cost of the double microwave/oven models like the one that you described in the original post. Instead, she had the cabinet guys frame out an open, microwave-sized box just above the wall oven with an electrical outlet at the back.  Her microwave oven slid nicely into that space.  It's not as sleek looking as the built in doubles and there was a small additional cost for carpentry and electrical for the framing and outlet but it was still a lot cheaper than the alternative.  I thought it was a good idea as the space could be used for a toaster oven or the like in the event a future user was anti-microwave.

Edited to add that I replaced a busted double wall oven with the same when I moved into this house.  If I'd given it more thought, I'd have gone with a single oven with space above for a countertop micro/convection oven and a warming drawer below the main oven.  Hindsight - it's good!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3

Following up on Alex's comment, I'll throw out another cost-saving idea, even though I suspect you may be too far into things to use it.  Some years ago, during her kitchen reno,  my mom balked at the cost of the double microwave/oven models like the one that you described in the original post. Instead, she had the cabinet guys frame out an open, microwave-sized box just above the wall oven with an electrical outlet at the back.  Her microwave oven slid nicely into that space.  It's not as sleek looking as the built in doubles and there was a small additional cost for carpentry and electrical for the framing and outlet but it was still a lot cheaper than the alternative.  I thought it was a good idea as the space could be used for a toaster oven or the like in the event a future user was anti-microwave.

Edited to add that I replaced a busted double wall oven with the same when I moved into this house.  If I'd given it more thought, I'd have gone with a single oven with space above for a countertop micro/convection oven and a warming drawer below the main oven.  Hindsight - it's good!

Yes, thanks. That's sort of what I was getting at. Those combo models are scarily expensive.

What you thought about doing is exactly what we did! When our double oven died we replaced it with a warming drawer, single oven and a place to put the microwave! That's the best thing we ever did and it also has the advantage of being able to replace any of the individual pieces in a much lower cost in the future.

• Like 1

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

should I try to post a photo of the spot I have to put this in ? I have to have a solid microwave and  I need a great oven ..just one not two anymore 

I have a super tiny kitchen and not a huge budget ..ok my budget is imaginary ( I just keep waiting/saving to buy things when I can buy them that is my budget) 

also I am not tied to any color ..I am not a fan of stainless but that is all I can find anymore ??? 

I am going to finish gutting the kitchen tomorrow and friday and next week the countertops are being poured ..there is a light I see it!!!! shit this has been a 10 year project we remodeled and live in this house room by room every door window everything had to be created over …I am now following the light to doneness and my own kitchen ..so 

help me choose a nice oven ..I do love convection as an option …and once I figured out how to use it ..I had killed the previous ovens 

(ok  I tried and no photo today my brain exploded) 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

hummingbirdkiss, I understand perfectly. We did (well, hired people to do) a partial kitchen remodel a couple of years ago (tile floor, tile backsplash, reface cabinets, new countertops). Fortunately, after we moved in, 15 years ago, the kitchen and one of the bathrooms were the only rooms that needed more than just new paint or wallpaper.

If you could post a photo, great, but even more important would be the measurements of the space. Would any of your kitchen folks be able and willing to put in a shelf or two in that space? Do you have an electrician who could install an outlet for the microwave and make sure that it and the oven coexist nicely? Do you think that white or black would work in that space instead of stainless? Those two are often less expensive.

How are you with buying from Craigslist? I do that a lot here. I recently scored a couple of incredibly good deals on microwaves. The upshot, though, is that we now have three large units, only one of which resides in the kitchen. Sigh. In your area, here are a some good-looking deals I spotted: one two three four five

Here are the two top-rated single convection ovens by Consumer Reports, on sale at Lowe's. (Ignore the Whirlpool for $1,999, the one that's at the bottom.) Note that for the four remaining Whirlpools, which are identical except for color, the stainless is the most expensive at $1574, followed by their "black ice" and "white ice" at $1484, followed by plain black at $1394. However, the one Maytag, in stainless, is the least expensive of all ($1259). Those prices don't include the 5% discount for using a Lowe's credit card or the 2% eBates rebate.

It's time to go to sleep here in the Eastern time zone, but I'll try to post some more specific oven-related suggestions tomorrow.

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 2

hummingbirdkiss, I understand perfectly. We did (well, hired people to do) a partial kitchen remodel a couple of years ago (tile floor, tile backsplash, reface cabinets, new countertops). Fortunately, after we moved in, 15 years ago, the kitchen and one of the bathrooms were the only rooms that needed more than just new paint or wallpaper.

If you could post a photo, great, but even more important would be the measurements of the space. Would any of your kitchen folks be able and willing to put in a shelf or two in that space? Do you have an electrician who could install an outlet for the microwave and make sure that it and the oven coexist nicely? Do you think that white or black would work in that space instead of stainless? Those two are often less expensive.

How are you with buying from Craigslist? I do that a lot here. I recently scored a couple of incredibly good deals on microwaves. The upshot, though, is that we now have three large units, only one of which resides in the kitchen. Sigh. In your area, here are a some good-looking deals I spotted: one two three four five

Here are the two top-rated single convection ovens by Consumer Reports, on sale at Lowe's. (Ignore the Whirlpool for $1,999, the one that's at the bottom.) Note that for the four remaining Whirlpools, which are identical except for color, the stainless is the most expensive at $1574, followed by their "black ice" and "white ice" at $1484, followed by plain black at $1394. However, the one Maytag, in stainless, is the least expensive of all ($1259). Those prices don't include the 5% discount for using a Lowe's credit card or the 2% eBates rebate.

It's time to go to sleep here in the Eastern time zone, but I'll try to post some more specific oven-related suggestions tomorrow.

thank you for the info Alex I am so grateful for your post and will research further as well

Piglet 

No new info from me about wall ovens. If you want to buy a new countertop microwave (vs. looking on Craigslist or buying a build-in model), we've been perfectly happy with our GE units. This one is similar to the one we're using now. This one adds inverter technology, which is a desirable feature.

• Like 1

This one adds inverter technology, which is a desirable feature.

Inverter technology is something very desirable to have in a microwave. When you set the oven to operate at something less than full power older style microwave just cycle the power on and off. Inverter technology instead reduces the actual output power and keeps the power on consistently at a lower level. It produces much more even cooking and defrosting without the dried edges you quite often get with the older style ovens. The technology was invented by Panasonic but many of the other manufacturers are now licensing it from them.

• Like 1

Inverter technology is something very desirable to have in a microwave. When you set the oven to operate at something less than full power older style microwave just cycle the power on and off. Inverter technology instead reduces the actual output power and keeps the power on consistently at a lower level. It produces much more even cooking and defrosting without the dried edges you quite often get with the older style ovens. The technology was invented by Panasonic but many of the other manufacturers are now licensing it from them.

Thank you for explaining inverter technology. I have been curious for some time but since my microwave seems as if it will live forever I did not look too closely into the benefits. But one day….......

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 year later...

Wondering if anyone has any recent comments on how their models are behaving - our microwave just started behaving suspiciously so we need a replacement and I'm tempted by the combo units as I had one when I lived in England that was quite nice for some things.

I don't, but an unsolicited suggestion (which is worth what you paid for it!) is to think about going with a CSO instead. I find that, since I got the CSO, my use of the microwave is limited to mostly warming liquids, melting butter, and serving as a proofing box for bread dough. If you have room, a CSO perches nicely atop my el cheapo $50 microwave from WalMart.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, quiet1 said:

Wondering if anyone has any recent comments on how their models are behaving - our microwave just started behaving suspiciously so we need a replacement and I'm tempted by the combo units as I had one when I lived in England that was quite nice for some things.

We used to have one but when it died did bother replacing it. Instead we bought a new high-powered microwave with inverter technology and replaced our oven was a convection one. The problem with the convection/microwave combination was that it didn't do either one of the functions very well. The microwave section was only 900 W and the convection functions seem to take forever to reach temperature. That was a GE built in unit, there may be others that are better but that one certainly wasn't very good.

On 1/2/2017 at 11:07 PM, MSRadell said:

We used to have one but when it died did bother replacing it. Instead we bought a new high-powered microwave with inverter technology and replaced our oven was a convection one. The problem with the convection/microwave combination was that it didn't do either one of the functions very well. The microwave section was only 900 W and the convection functions seem to take forever to reach temperature. That was a GE built in unit, there may be others that are better but that one certainly wasn't very good.

I'm looking at ones with 1000W for the microwave. We are currently making do with a 700 W loaner microwave from a friend and it's awful.

When I had one in England I didn't use it for pure baking much - mostly plain microwaving or microwaving with some convection like to crisp up potato skins while microwaving them, or to brown the top of something like Mac n cheese while reheating. My housemate would like to be able to use some kind of grill or overhear heat function to finish off toast - not to actually toast it, but to brown cheese or melt butter that has been added to toast, and my memory of the one we had was that it might work for that sort of thing?

The apartment we lived in for three months when we were on sabbatical in Belgium had a combi-oven. I hated it because it didn't seem to do anything well. Based on that experience, I don't think I'd ever consider one for my own house.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I've had a uwave /convection oven.  I found it awkward. Quicker, yes, but seemed to overcook the surface of stuff (which makes sense since uwaves penetrate about a cm or so and the innards of a dish have to heat by conduction from the surface).

I'd get a Cuisinart Steam Oven. Not quite as fast a uwave, but fast and with clear advantages re cooking quality.  There's lots of stuff I'd never use a uwave for...but nothing that I wouldn't put in the CSO

I have both and rarely use the uwave.  Maybe to thaw a pizza slice before I put in in the CSO.

Edited by gfweb (log)

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've had a uwave /convection oven.  I found it awkward. Quicker, yes, but seemed to overcook the surface of stuff (which makes sense since uwaves penetrate about a cm or so and the innards of a dish have to heat by conduction from the surface).

I'd get a Cuisinart Steam Oven. Not quite as fast a uwave, but fast and with clear advantages re cooking quality.  There's lots of stuff I'd never use a uwave for...but nothing that I wouldn't put in the CSO

I have both and rarely use the uwave.  Maybe to thaw a pizza slice before I put in in the CSO.

Not an option, other people in the house use the microwave All The Time so we have to have one. :(

• 1 month later...
On 1/4/2017 at 8:40 PM, gfweb said:

A convection microwave oven is like having two appliances combined into one. You get the ease of fast microwave cooking with features of a conventional oven. It has lot many advantages. It can be used for baking, grilling etc. It is easy to heat food in it and saving a lot of time. Recently, I exchanged my old microwave oven and bought a new one I found at  (http://www.bestbrandappliance.ca/en/catalog/2528-Kitchen/44-Microwave-Ovens). It is easy to maintain and clean. Vegetables boiled in the microwave safe bowl are much healthier than boiled in the pan on the gas burner. It helps to retain the nutrients in food, hence, keeps you healthy.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Logan Rivera said:

A convection microwave oven is like having two appliances combined into one. You get the ease of fast microwave cooking with features of a conventional oven. It has lot many advantages. It can be used for baking, grilling etc. It is easy to heat food in it and saving a lot of time. Recently, I exchanged my old microwave oven and bought a new one I found at  (http://www.bestbrandappliance.ca/en/catalog/2528-Kitchen/44-Microwave-Ovens). It is easy to maintain and clean. Vegetables boiled in the microwave safe bowl are much healthier than boiled in the pan on the gas burner. It helps to retain the nutrients in food, hence, keeps you healthy.

Can you perhaps tell us your experience with a combination convection/microwave oven?   What brand were you using? I ask because most people find that the combination means they have neither a good microwave nor a good convection oven. If you know otherwise I'd be anxious to hear.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Convection microwave oven is a combination of a regular convection oven with a microwave, so you have both hot air and microwaves cooking your food. So the advantage is you get the quick interior heating of the microwaves combined with the surface browning from the hot air; convection just makes that hot air cooking faster and more even. 

• The microwave heats water and molecules in the food by using microwave radiation. It will heat food efficiently and quickly, but does not brown or bake like in a conventional oven.
  • The oven is used for heating from the bottom(baking, roasting) or from the top(boiling).The heat is from a single direction and not uniform.
  • Convection Oven has a fan that circulates heated air allowing operation at low temperature while cooking more quickly. It also results in more even bakes.
  • Convectional Microwave Oven is a combination of a microwave and a convection oven. Allows for even, quick cooking that is browned or baked.

So, at the bottom of the scale is a microwave and an oven. They each have different functions. Then there is a middle tier that would be a convection oven - an improvement over the oven. The top tier is the convection microwave oven that provides all the features: quick cooking, heating, baking, browning, and evenness.

HMC80252UC-MICROWAVE OVENS is the model that I am using.

I hope it is clear now.