• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave-convection ovens

Fat Guy

5 hours ago, Logan Rivera said:

Convection microwave oven is a combination of a regular convection oven with a microwave, so you have both hot air and microwaves cooking your food. So the advantage is you get the quick interior heating of the microwaves combined with the surface browning from the hot air; convection just makes that hot air cooking faster and more even. 

• The microwave heats water and molecules in the food by using microwave radiation. It will heat food efficiently and quickly, but does not brown or bake like in a conventional oven.
  • The oven is used for heating from the bottom(baking, roasting) or from the top(boiling).The heat is from a single direction and not uniform.
  • Convection Oven has a fan that circulates heated air allowing operation at low temperature while cooking more quickly. It also results in more even bakes.
  • Convectional Microwave Oven is a combination of a microwave and a convection oven. Allows for even, quick cooking that is browned or baked.

So, at the bottom of the scale is a microwave and an oven. They each have different functions. Then there is a middle tier that would be a convection oven - an improvement over the oven. The top tier is the convection microwave oven that provides all the features: quick cooking, heating, baking, browning, and evenness.

HMC80252UC-MICROWAVE OVENS is the model that I am using.

I hope it is clear now.

Sorry but I was not looking for a science lesson.  I am perfectly aware of the functions of microwaves and convection ovens. I was asking for your personal experience in using one of these ovens. Most people that I know who own a dual function oven are not happy with it.  You have still not convinced me that yours is any different. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We have a combo convection/uwave.  I like it best for the speed cook function - being able to cook a casserole in half the time for example, without heating up the oven (or waiting for it to preheat).  I don't use it for baking, and I don't use it as an "oven" per se - and if something were to happen to it, I would replace it with the same thing.  The usual uwave functions are there (cooking fresh or frozen veg, potatoes, reheating a serving, there's even a bacon setting that can make an unholy mess in the uwave if someone tries to cook more strips than you're supposed to (leaving child's name out!)  The speed cook function kind of reminds me of the InstaPot - I can cook something faster with that speed cook setting than I would in a conventional oven and that for me is worth it.

55 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

We have a combo convection/uwave.  I like it best for the speed cook function - being able to cook a casserole in half the time for example, without heating up the oven (or waiting for it to preheat).  I don't use it for baking, and I don't use it as an "oven" per se - and if something were to happen to it, I would replace it with the same thing.  The usual uwave functions are there (cooking fresh or frozen veg, potatoes, reheating a serving, there's even a bacon setting that can make an unholy mess in the uwave if someone tries to cook more strips than you're supposed to (leaving child's name out!)  The speed cook function kind of reminds me of the InstaPot - I can cook something faster with that speed cook setting than I would in a conventional oven and that for me is worth it.

Thank you!  That seems to be in line with the experience of people that I know.   I own both a microwave and a convection oven and each does a superb job for what it was designed to do.   I can see how the speed cook might appeal to some people and I am not dissing it but when I look at the cost of one of these combnation ovens, I am not seeing value for the dollar.  I still believe that for most people the technology has not reached a stage  where it can do both functions as well as each is done in dedicated appliances.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, JeanneCake said:

Thank you!  That seems to be in line with the experience of people that I know.   I own both a microwave and a convection oven and each does a superb job for what it was designed to do.   I can see how the speed cook might appeal to some people and I am not dissing it but when I look at the cost of one of these combnation ovens, I am not seeing value for the dollar.  I still believe that for most people the technology has not reached a stage  where it can do both functions as well as each is done in  dedicated appliances.

My 2004 eG Blog

Fundamental difference Microwave convection oven VS regular:

Regular oven bakes from top and bottom, and larger fan for convection is more effective.

Microwave convection bakes from top, with not many watts, and the convection fan tends to be small.

dcarch

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:11 AM, JeanneCake said:

From your description, I wonder if you really have a combination microwave or what they call a speed cook oven which uses high intensity light for cooking. A convection/microwave actually heats up much like a regular oven does. It just has microwave functionality in addition so that it cooked together both methods. It doesn't teed up it's not using convection since convection is basically moving hot air.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

21 hours ago, MSRadell said:

From your description, I wonder if you really have a combination microwave or what they call a speed cook oven which uses high intensity light for cooking. A convection/microwave actually heats up much like a regular oven does. It just has microwave functionality in addition so that it cooked together both methods. It doesn't teed up it's not using convection since convection is basically moving hot air.

It's a GE Advantium over the range "oven" and it has separate selections for convection bake and speed cook.  I used the convection bake feature when I first got the oven a few years back, and I just didn't like how long it took to cool down (and I own a bakery with commercial convection ovens so this isn't something I should have even batted an eye over!); then I discovered the speed cook function, and well who needs convection bake anyway! :laugh:  For what it cost, it does a lot more than I ultimately ended up using it for.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

We were looking at getting a counter top oven in addition to our microwave. We decided to get the GE Profile microwave convection and it has been great! We can use the microwave when called for and the oven when required. It not only cooks, but reheats, and keeps food warm before serving.

• Like 1