• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave-convection ovens

Fat Guy

I have the Sharp R930AK Convection/Microwave oven, 1.5 cu.ft. that I purchased in 1994 and it is still working just fine.

I like it especially for roasting meats and poultry that are "stuffed" because with the "combi" roasting feature it cooks them evenly and more rapidly than in a conventional oven.

It doesn't cost much more than one of the more expensive microwaves and it has one super advantage in that the interior is TALLER than other mwaves of similar capacity.

This glass measure is 8 3/4 inches tall and as you can see it has plenty of clearance.

HPIM3963.JPG

And the bottom tray is 15" in diameter and will hold fairly large baking dishes and it will also hold a round pizza "stone" for baking. The well around the circumference of the tray is deep enough that it will catch any liquids that boil over or otherwise spill. This is a BIG advantage over most microwaves. It is also very easy to clean.

This site has the specs and info:

I was afraid they were going to discontinue this unit and I don't like those made by other manufacturers so I purchased an "extra" still in its unopened box, for when this one dies. However, so far it has been virtually indestructible.

People with similar ezperiences to mine have posted here

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Microwave convection ovens can function very well as a second oven or as a main one if that's all you've got. I use mine for baking potatoes (I don't like microwaved potatoes), stuffing when the turkey is in the oven, gratins, and I've been known to bake a cake in one. I've broiled steaks in it, and done a roast in it when I was waiting for my oven to be installed and didn't have a main one. My new house in Calgary, despite having a 36 in range, does only have one oven, and a regular microwave. My husband was trying to figure out where I might put a second oven and I told him, I'd start with a microwave convection oven first.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here are some photos with it in use for baking and broiling:

A large (2-pound) loaf pan

Library - 0069.jpg

DSCN0420Move.JPG

and the results of the latter

DSCN0422Move.JPG

The two racks can both be in use at the same time and I have baked two pies at the same time, one on the upper rack and one on the lower - in Pyrex pie plates.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oof. Like the US, an oven - gas or electric - is a standard fitment in UK kitchens. I think the continental tradition of enamelled cast-iron owes a lot to the historical scarcity of fitted ovens in Italy & France - and here in Japan even now they are still only to be found in high-end residences.

I don't have a convection/mw. Mine is electric/mw. No fan. Either way, I'd be lost without it.

Looking at it, my National NE-JI is 14.4" x 8.9" x 14.6" internally (It supports two shelf-levels, like Andie's), and takes up - eyeballing it - about 1/7 the space of a traditional 'cooker' - counter-height unit with 4-ring hob, grill (broiler) and oven of maybe twice that size. It's no bigger than a microwave-only unit.

It's easy to clean, and spill-capable like Andie's, and I bought it in 1995. I've noticed in the shops lately that on the current market, interior space this big or bigger is now a common feature, not the very rare exception it was when I blew 1,100 bucks on mine, which not only was at the top of the in-space range, but fits that space into a super-small external size, relative to other products from the time.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I'm looking at a Panasonic Microwave/Convection oven which has inverter Technology: that means that the microwave keeps at the level you set, rather than bouncing between High and whatever level you choose.

My microwave turntable has quit working, and my toaster oven may have a short in it and I plan to replace both with this one.

My purpose for buying this combination is that I like food reheated in a regular oven and the oven in my stove is a POC. (piece of crap) Hardly any insulation, no light in the oven, and only one large burner on top.

Anyone have or know about this model? It is $700, so I want to be careful.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I've never tried it, but Rose Levy Barrenbaum says they're ideal for baking cakes. The convection fan is gentler than the ones in a commercial convection oven, and the turntable (intended for the microwave) helps guarantee even baking.

The fan is less forceful than in my Cadco convection oven. I use the Sharp for baking cheesecakes and custard pies, etc., that tend to develop ripples on the surface when baked in the Cadco - unless I use some kind of barrier.

The turntable also moves smoothly - in some microwaves the motion is rather jerky and this too would affect custards, etc., the turntable base is also wide enough to prevent tipping if something heavy is near an edge and it's metal, not flimsy plastic.

I have had the Sharp microwave/convection oven since 1995. It's the only thing I use for baking biscuits and potatoes. It does a beautiful job on both. I think better than the conventional oven for the biscuits.

Other than those things I have baked casserole type dishes in it. I don't care to cook meats in it as it makes such a mess and I'm not fond of oven cleaning. All I have ever tried was some skin-on chicken and it made a gigantic mess.

No microwaved potatoes in this house. I would rather do without.

Andiesenji has inspired me to try making bread in it Yours looks beautiful.

Are microwave-convection ovens useful? If so, for what?

Somehow we got onto convection and other "fancified" microwave ovens, but I have a hunch that FG was referring to standard issue microwaves. That said, at the risk of sounding like a boor, I think the microwave makes a pretty darn good cob of corn, either for eating straight or prepping for other dishes that require cooked or partially cooked corn. Less trouble and mess than boiling or roasting, and in the right cases, not much of a tradeoff.

I made a mistake when I bought my sharp micro/convection oven in not buying the largest model. My father had one like Andie's, that does a lovely job with baking on the convection settings, and doing combination convection/micro as well as basic micro cooking. Mine is just enough smaller that I can't bake well in it because the food remains too close to the upper heating element and the tops of my loaves scorch. But I often use the combo micro/convect 'roast' setting for toasting nuts, thawing frozen baked goods, cooking squash--the microwave part gets things warming up, but on the combo setting the microwave is effectively on low power, and warms/cooks more evenly, and then the convec nicely toasts/dries/finishes the outside of the food.

... sounding like a boor...

Why would you ? The microwave is an elegant solution to simple steaming/boiling of vegetables. It's far more efficient, in these energy-straitened times, than boiling a pan of water. It saves water if you're in a desert area. And I say the results lose nothing.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

We have had ours for a few years, and I have to tell you that if the house catches fire, the husband, the dog, and the cats are on their own; I'm going to grab this appliance before I worry about anything else. That's how much I love it.

Since the economy ate our new-house-building plans, I now am looking at a future in a small galley kitchen, which, short of a $15,000 renovation, will never hold two standard ovens. This unit functions as our second oven, and on that alone, I have to highly recommend it.

It's also a smaller oven, and it's what we use in summer when we want to bake something but don't want to heat up the kitchen with our main oven.

I never use the combination feature, which would involve using the standard oven and the microwave at the same time. I'm not interested in learning yet another way to cook. It's probably not as involved as I think it is, but I'm happy using either the microwave or the convection oven feature and letting it go at that. The convection oven does a better job of browning piecrust than our standard oven does, and turns out the best-looking pies I've ever baked. And I can't tell you how thrilling it is to turn a bowl of cookie dough into cookies in far less time than it would take to rotate pans in and out of just one oven.

I'm looking at a Panasonic Microwave/Convection oven which has inverter Technology: that means that the microwave keeps at the level you set, rather than bouncing between High and whatever level you choose.

My microwave turntable has quit working, and my toaster oven may have a short in it and I plan to replace both with this one.

My purpose for buying this combination is that I like food reheated in a regular oven and the oven in my stove is a POC. (piece of crap) Hardly any insulation, no light in the oven, and only one large burner on top.

Anyone have or know about this model? It is $700, so I want to be careful.

If it is this model, use caution. My best friend got one to replace a built-in older Panasonic convec/mwave oven (one in which the turntable had to be removed to use it as a convection and combi oven and the food had to be rotated at least once) that had worked for several years. Only after purchase did they learn that it could not be placed in the spot for the built-in unit but they decided to try it anyway.

Within a few weeks the door interlock failed with the door closed, they couldn't get the door open and had to call a technician.

Then the motor that rotated the turntable began to work erratically.

They were able to return it to the seller and got the Fisher & Paykel because the dealer did not carry Sharp. The F&P could be built in and there is an accessory kit to finish it.

It works fine but cost more than twice as much as the Sharp for essentially the same features.

You can get the Panasonic NNCD9895 for less at this vendor.

P.S. The "inverter" is not all that efficient.

If you are going to spend 700. you might as well spring for a bit more and get Sharp's newest:

The SuperSteam combi oven

It can be built in or used on a countertop.

If I did not already have the extra Sharp, I would get this one. I love steam cooking.

Thanks, Andie. The model I am looking at is the NNCD989S. I'm going to go ahead with that, now that you have sent me a new and cheaper source. $575 with free shipping is a much better deal than $699 plus shipping! I've only seen two reviews for this product, one glowing and one "would not recommend". The reason for the latter is that the turntable is not easy to clean, but the glowing review says it is easy to clean. Not a good reason for a low rating--plus my housekeeper cleans mine, anyway.

That steam model is a really good looking piece of equipment, but I rarely steam anything. Also it is about a third smaller than the Panasonic, and is black, rather than stainless steel. Not that I'm in love with stainless, but I find it difficult to read directions when written on black.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Andie. The model I am looking at is the NNCD989S. I'm going to go ahead with that, now that you have sent me a new and cheaper source. $575 with free shipping is a much better deal than $699 plus shipping! I've only seen two reviews for this product, one glowing and one "would not recommend". The reason for the latter is that the turntable is not easy to clean, but the glowing review says it is easy to clean. Not a good reason for a low rating--plus my housekeeper cleans mine, anyway.

That steam model is a really good looking piece of equipment, but I rarely steam anything. Also it is about a third smaller than the Panasonic, and is black, rather than stainless steel. Not that I'm in love with stainless, but I find it difficult to read directions when written on black.

Thanks again.

If it doesn't work out, check out the Sharp, like the one I have but in white, for less than $400.00

We grew up with a Panasonic microwave/convection oven, and it was handy both as a second oven and for baking things that fit in it, as well as for the usual microwave uses.

I don't use a microwave enough to justify a standalone microwave. It's got to do something else. Our current one is a microwave/toaster (Sharp Warm 'n' Toasty) with regular heating elements like a toaster oven as well as the microwave tube, and it's not a great toaster, but it's an okay little second oven for temperatures around 350F.

• 9 months later...

Nine months later I'm just now getting back to this thread to report that I did get the Sharp oven like Andie's. When I made the last check before ordering, I noticed that the price had been lowered so I again dithered. Next day, the price had been lowered once more and the "number left" had gone from about 36 down to the teens, so I jumped on it. Evidently it was a close out and they keep lowering the price as the number lowers.

I am very satisfied with the oven. I do wish it had a visible reminder of the temperature you picked, because I never can remember when I need to cook something a few minutes longer. Once I meant to cook an individual casserole of squash au gratin and my hand evidently slipped down to the second row of oven temperatures and hit the highest temperature. I made carbon. Also, the instructions are not complete as to the time it takes to combine microwave and convection functions, and the recipe book just plain sucks. Half the recipes include either cilantro or cinnamon, which I don't like, but that's a personal preference.

Over all, I use the convection more than the microwave, and don't know what I did without it. One of my Christmas gifts in 2011 was a pair of Silicone elbow-length gloves for reaching in for those hot things, since turntables and pull-out shelves are contra-indicated.

When we redid our kitchen a few years ago and I really wanted a double oven but we have a very small kitchen. We ended up putting in one of these, and it has been fantastic. It probably gets more use than our regular oven and it's the one I do grilling in and quick things like reheating rolls. It's also excellent for reheating things like lasagne from frozen as you can combine the microwave function with the oven. The only issue with it is that there is no pre heating function, so you need to make adjustments if doing straight forward baking.

If I were fitting out something like a vacation cabin, I would definitely consider putting one of them in instead of a full oven.

• 1 year later...

Sharp has introduced several models of consumer counter-top steam ovens that combine pure steam (low temperature and high temperature) with microwave and convection capabilities. They also have a feature called "super steam" where they claim steam temperatures aboe 100C (upto 300C). Examples include AX1200, AX1300 and AX1500 available in different countries.

In addition there is a considerably cheaper AX1100 model that has pure steam and microwave without the said "super steam" capability. The super steam feature (except in AX1100) is supposed to enable steam frying of French fries and other items. Any experience with these

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new Steam Convection Microwave oven with following feature;

1) Microwave Rapid Warming (I won't use microwave cooking)

2) Convection Grilling

3) Convection Baking

4) Convention Cooking

5) Combination Cooking of Steam/Grill (steam generation)

Because of space I can't install 3 ovens. On searching I found;

Panasonic Steam Convection Microwave [NN-CS599S]

http://www.jintexelectronics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=951

Seamingly it has the functions which I'm looking for. Could you please shed me some light in which direction I should target? I have no preset budget. Space is my consideration.

Thanks in advance

B.Rgds

satimis

• 1 year later...

Please merge if needed, I found several topics on wall ovens but they were all very old and some were barely touches so while I am thinking there must be a more detailed thread I can not seem to find it 

for me this is a HUGE purchase and it will be my LAST oven. 

I burned up a double Kitchenaid ..this was not all the oven's fault (but I was not thrilled with it ever it was not a great oven to work with and from day one I was disappointed but it was all I could afford and on sale at the time…. Now I am so much better with appliances… I am over my destruction of ovens by trying to get them to do things they are not supposed to … only one oven works and it only works at 350F no convection and it is a fire hazard  so I try to only bake when I have to right now ….(I destroyed both ovens in 7 years and should be embarrassed but I learned SO much during this crazy process I do not regret it at all it was fun) Prior to that I had some old second hand pieces of crap.. it was my first "good" and new oven"  .. . So while doing our remodel this is the largest expenditure for me for sure.  So I want a good oven with a good warrantee that is actuate and will handle heavy use but not the previous abuse ..I also want to buy my LAST oven now

http://www.lowes.com/pd_472492-39047-HBL8751UC_1z0ynxcZ1z140vc__?productId=50160145&pl=1#BVRRWidgetID

I had my heart set on an Electrolux that has been D/c'd now and I am not going to spend anymore time trying to track one down. I found one and it was so much more expensive than the one I chose forget it. 

so really now I am looking at the Bosch and wonder what you folks think of this model please it is a huge amount of  money for me to spend and honestly if there is a comparable oven that I am overlooking I would appreciate the guidance ..I wanted that Electrolux and should have bought it and held it because  found one at a discount ..argh 

I need help in this choice ..we do have a discount at Lowes so that should help …if anyone would not mind reviewing this and letting me know what you think and if you have other suggestions I am very "open" right now and have a month to make the choice …(my husband and his colleague are pouring the counter tops so I already replaced our sink and cooktop …just have to make this one last stomach churning choice ..I want to puke over this ..but I hate making choices like this anyway and always make myself hurl …

if I can "do better" please let me know and thanks  so much in advance for a merge or a comment 

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet