• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curtis Stone - Already Sick Of Him?

weinoo

He seems somewhat more credible to me than Rocco Dispirito, which isn't saying much, but says something. Some might say the same thing about Jamie Oliver.

Bobby Flay is all over the place and no one is questioning his cred. I recall watching Nigella Lawson deep throat a wooden spoon in a scandalously low cut blouse on one episode and no one questioned that except me, I think.

Not sure I understand what the problem is. If it annoys you, change the channel. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

He seems somewhat more credible to me than Rocco Dispirito, which isn't saying much, but says something. Some might say the same thing about Jamie Oliver.

Bobby Flay is all over the place and no one is questioning his cred. I recall watching Nigella Lawson deep throat a wooden spoon in a scandalously low cut blouse on one episode and no one questioned that except me, I think.

Not sure I understand what the problem is. If it annoys you, change the channel. 'Tis the nature of the beast.

The first 3 people you mention (chefs, all) in your post have all successfully opened and ran restaurants. Whatever you think of the current Rocco, his Union Pacific restaurant was quite highly regarded in its time. Flay came up through the ranks and worked his way to the top. He may not be my favorite chef, but his "cred" is second to none. Oliver's, too, imo, for his work not only at his restaurants, but with kids.

Nigella's "episode" has nothing to do with the judging of other people's qualifications.

But Stone, otoh, is expert enough in American fast food to be able to do just that, evidently.

By the way, the change the channel thing has nothing to do with my original statement. Who and what made this guy famous enough to be all over my bloody screen?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

By the way, the change the channel thing has nothing to do with my original statement. Who and what made this guy famous enough to be all over my bloody screen?

My cynical assessment: nothing made him so famous, but they think women are the main demographic group for this -- and most Bravo or general food -- shows. So, they brought on a supposed hot hunk with a supposed modicum of cooking credentials and a "foreign" (by US standards) accent to make him slightly more intriguing and "sexy." A youngish enough man to appeal to the main, necessary 18-35 demographic that controls their ad dollars. And, equally importantly, he's a total BLANK SLATE in terms of US viewers, so he carries none of the baggage that someone like Rocco would have.

He's not my cup of tea, but honestly, isn't he better than Billy Joel's robotic wife or the former Asian host for Top Chef: Masters? I mean, at least this one seems to be breathing.....

"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown

Eye candy....

Skills optional.

This summarizes some of the earlier posts from us girls - yup sometimes content is not the point :biggrin: And he is not completely culinarily clueless

I also feel personally vilified and deeply hurt by the implication that there's something wrong with Nigella Lawson in a low-cut anything.

Just kicking that out there, I mean.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

I also feel personally vilified and deeply hurt by the implication that there's something wrong with Nigella Lawson in a low-cut anything.

Just kicking that out there, I mean.

Heh. That made me laugh to no end.

Between this, and all the Curtis Stone comments, I think eGullet should take the plunge and have a thread about those people in the Gastro world (or perhaps those on the TV gastro world) who make one feel rather.... hot and bothered. :raz:

Edited by Kafka Zola (log)

"There are dogs, and then there are German Shepherds.... "- Unknown

Gotta disagree with you on the food credibility thing. Although Rocco has certainly trashed all that remains of his original credibility, his cooking cred before deciding to become a celebrity was definitely greater in objective terms than Stone's. Those who lived in NY while Rocco was a chef (and before he was seen on TV) will remember him as the Exec Chef/Partner of the very highly rated Union Pacific, which was on almost every foodie's map, and served really great food. His cooking was innovative, skillful and current, and he was considered a real rising star in the food world. That all went to hell once he opened Rocco's on TV, and it's been a sad downhill path since, but those who ate at his places prior to going show biz see him as a great squandered talent, not a poseur. Many in the food world (including Bourdain) wish fervently for him to return to a restaurant kitchen. Also, Rocco's training included Bouley, Lespinasse, River Cafe and Aureole during its prime. He put in over 10 years at various stations in good restaurants before getting his own place. He was a real chef. Stone cooked in some real restaurants, but his resume was definitely less impressive than Rocco's as a chef. Still, it would seem most of the female viewers think Stone is prettier, which counts for quite a bit on the Bravo tube. The comparison to Flay also isn't really apt, as Flay cooked in and owned several highly rated restaurants before going show biz. He also is credited with either creating or at least popularizing a whole style of current cooking. Stone is credited with working a few chef gigs and having cool hair.

The first 3 people you mention (chefs, all) in your post have all successfully opened and ran restaurants. Whatever you think of the current Rocco, his Union Pacific restaurant was quite highly regarded in its time. Flay came up through the ranks and worked his way to the top. He may not be my favorite chef, but his "cred" is second to none. Oliver's, too, imo, for his work not only at his restaurants, but with kids.

Nigella's "episode" has nothing to do with the judging of other people's qualifications.

But Stone, otoh, is expert enough in American fast food to be able to do just that, evidently.

I don't know who did it but I'll bet they are a real douche bag

• 1 month later...

He's one of Marco Pierre White's proteges. Tough school to be brought up in: Marco is notoriously known as the only chef to make Gordon Ramsay cry. Stone was head chef in one of MPW's restaurants. Must be able to cook.

That's what really irritates me about him, the fact that he gave that up to shamelessly promote Coles and become a complete media whore. Yeah, the paycheck may be good, but it is pretty clear he has no self respect or dignity left.

But then again, that seems the way of the world, the eye candy gets the prize. I'd have a little respect for him if he actually had his own restaurants and got his publicity and profile that way, rather than not having 'cooked' for years and having the nerve to promote a soulless corporate giant such as Coles, just because middle aged housewives find him 'cute' and want him to ravish them.

James.