• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Bets for Take Out Success at Parties

I threw a party for about 20 folks last night and didn't have the ability to do much more than host. Of course, I obsessed about what to order as take-out for this meal, wanting something tasty that holds well and is varied.

After much thought, I settled on what turned out to be a big hit: a big 'cue spread from United BBQ here in Providence. I held stuff in a 200F oven until guests arrived, plated it quickly, and kept my hands out of the way as everyone dove onto the ribs. Even an hour later, everything was cool but still tasty, even the sides (collards, cornbread, mac & cheese, beans, cole slaw).

Got me thinking I should have asked y'all this question: When you've got to buy take out for an event, what are your favorite options?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Certainly, if I had a good bbq place nearby, that would be a top choice. In lieu of that, I'll get Chinese roasted meats; i.e. ribs, duck, chicken, roast pig, etc. For sides, fried rice and cold noodle dishes hold up fairly well. Veggies - now that's another story.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

BBQ works especially well since really good smoked meat is exceptionally difficult to do at home, so buying it is something everybody can understand. Nobody ever thinks, "He/she really took the easy way out."

I remember once, long ago, I had been married about a month, I think, and it was our turn to host my husband's squadron party (about 40 people) and I couldn't get out of it. I was feeling very inadequate about my lack of cooking skills, so I went to the local 'cue joint and picked up brisket, ribs, sausage and chicken, and arranged it all on my outdoor grill! Worked pretty well until folks began asking me how I managed to turn out "commercial smoker" quality barbecued meat with nothing but my little gas grill. At the time, I didn't really know enough about BBQ to understand how difficult (in fact, impossible) that was to do. So of course, they all wanted tips. Luckily, I held them off for the several months we had left there, until we moved away.

But another thing I buy when I'm entertaining and have no time to cook is a big pan of lasagna from a local Italian restaurant that I think does a particularly good job.

Then I toss up a big salad, and make some garlic bread to go with. For dessert with this particular meal, I have small bowls into which I put vanilla ice cream, and serve them with an assortment of liqueurs and some of those rolled Pepperidge Farm cookies. Everybody gets to sample this and that liqueur, many of which are exotic and unfamiliar because that's something I often bring back from my travels. It's hard to imagine anything any easier than that. And it's a lot of fun and really sparks conversation as everybody compares the liqueurs. All in all makes for a great evening.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I can tell you the most popular thing to order around my part of NJ is

Grilled Chicken

Penne with Vodka Sauce

Tossed Salad

Rolls n Butter

Cookie Tray

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have a friend who has often pleased a crowd with a combo of "Italian" and "Chinese" take out. She orders a tray of something like penne with chicken in a cream sauce from the pasta place near her, and then trays of orange chicken, fried rice, and chow mein from the local Chinese take out. She throws together a quick tossed salad from a bag for the illusion of vegetable matter. Adults and children alike seem to love the combo.

She usually has made her famous chocolate cake with coffee icing ahead of time as the dessert.

My aunt is the best party-thrower I know, and her go-to take out dishes when she needs them tend to be appetizers or side dishes. She'll get meatballs from a local Italian place, hummus and pita from a Middle Eastern grocery (she claims theirs is much better than anything she could make), or cookies from the organic bakery. BBQ is another big "get."

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I remember once, long ago, I had been married about a month, I think, and it was our turn to host my husband's squadron party (about 40 people) and I couldn't get out of it. I was feeling very inadequate about my lack of cooking skills, so I went to the local 'cue joint and picked up brisket, ribs, sausage and chicken, and arranged it all on my outdoor grill! Worked pretty well until folks began asking me how I managed to turn out "commercial smoker" quality barbecued meat with nothing but my little gas grill. At the time, I didn't really know enough about BBQ to understand how difficult (in fact, impossible) that was to do. So of course, they all wanted tips. Luckily, I held them off for the several months we had left there, until we moved away.

Ha ha ha! Thanks for my belly laugh of the day! :laugh: Reminds me of the "Was My Face Red" column from the old Calling All Girls magazine.