• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marcel's New Show On SyFy

weinoo

Didn't he work for Jose Andres? what was the deal there.. you can b.s. to get in a good place but it's hard to stay there with no chops..

PS I don't really watch TC or the other show. Just curious as to if he's really that clueless

I don't know how most people's recipe testing goes, but I have tons more failures then success, and I've had WAY worse ideas than a cheese snake. The one thing that struck me as odd was the reaction of changing tracks entirely every time something didn't work, instead of adjusting, re-testing, etc. I'm sure it was a result of production or editing constraints/incompetence though. The suggestion that he doesn't understand food science or how to cook is ludicrous. He's a young guy finding his way, but his resume is a record of hard time and opportunities earned. Also, the more complicated and sensitive your approach to cooking is, the less likely it is you are going to have good results out of a TV kitchen. I can't begin to explain how un-functional TV kitchens are...

Anyway I way prefer the feel of this show than Future Foods, which just seemed silly (the show, not the cooks). I don't think that catering is a proper medium for experimental cooking AT ALL and if anything hamstrings this show it will be bad planning on part of production, not Marcel's level of cooking. Seems like they could have set him up to succeed better, but I guess its another stressing show as supposed to a cooking show (cooking impossible). Good luck to him and I hope he comes out ahead.

I don't think that catering is a proper medium for experimental cooking AT ALL and if anything hamstrings this show it will be bad planning on part of production, not Marcel's level of cooking.

That's what I really don't get. In catering, you pretty much want everything to be like clockwork, ready to serve your hungry guests, without a lot of potential for screwing up. It's not necessarily the time for experimentation.

And I still don't understand why you're having one of your cooks slice up apples which are going into the VitaPrep.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

And I still don't understand why you're having one of your cooks slice up apples which are going into the VitaPrep.

I don't throw large pieces of apple in the vitaprep because it just sits there on top of the blade and then u gotta push at it forever. I mean if u r peeling them anyhow and need the seeds out, is there a significantly faster way than slicing them? Was she like brunoise'n them to perfection or just chopping? I dont remember...

Edited by Sethro (log)

I don't think that catering is a proper medium for experimental cooking AT ALL and if anything hamstrings this show it will be bad planning on part of production, not Marcel's level of cooking.

That's what I really don't get. In catering, you pretty much want everything to be like clockwork, ready to serve your hungry guests, without a lot of potential for screwing up. It's not necessarily the time for experimentation.

this isn't just a catering gig. It's also a TV show. Maybe the "experimenting" is simply a way to sorta demonstrate technique and method to the viewing audience? I dunno. As far as the apple go.. Did marcel instruct he girl to slice the apples that way? I honestly don't recall any specific instructions on that. Just "peel them and make a puree". If it was me, I would have rough chopped them.

I'll keep this on the TiVo for now to catch at least one more episode to give it a bit of a chance.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

She was thin slicing them. If that was how they wanted them she should have busted out a mandolin.

I'd just cut em into chunks and throw them in there.

Exactly. Marcel was standing over her. Isn't his job to teach - not just his viewers, but his staff as well?

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Well, maybe the low expectations helped, but I thought the show was okay. This isn't an instructional type program, it's modified version of Dinner: Impossible. More time, but with the quirky molecular blingstronomy done by the quirky, often overly optimistic, and nearly always diplomatically deprived chef.

Marcel's Meltdown might've been a better title.

I think I'll keep watching. How else am I going to find opportunities to mutter "Really, Marcel? More foam?"

Ugh, I don't know where to start with this last episode.

That wine noodle was awful. The fact you made these guys suck down 15" of cooked wine gummy bears is disgusting.

The compressed watermelon was interesting, not sure why he didn't just use his chamber sealer. I guess it would be harder for it to see on the camera.

Also, his food safety practices need some help. As numerous points through the show he is shown reusing tasting spoons and also pallet knifes after they have been in his and other peoples mouths.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Wow, this is so bad I almost can't not watch it. Next week, if I haven't stuck a knitting needle in my eye or had 7 Manhattans, I promise to count how many times he touches his face or hair while either cooking or serving or schmoozing.

The best thing was dessert. Of course, that was cooked by a pastry chef from one of Wolfgang Puck's restaurants.

And of course, the clients. Who actually may make the Real Housewives of Miami Beach look believable. It's as if Escoffier himself was cooking for them.

Square plates, Marcel - really!

Oh - the biggest drag? On opposite Zimmern's I'll Eat Anything (and Everything) Show. I was switching back and forth so feverishly that at one point, I got so confused I thought Zimmern had taken a bite out of Marcel.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

He seems to be very enamored of agar, when, in my experience, you need to be careful about using/overusing it because westerners aren't fond of the texture.

I'm still weirded out by the fact that he's working as caterer, selling clients on dishes he hasn't made or tested beforehand. I guess the cachet of tv fame overrides ordinary caution.

His personality is still grating, as is the posturing. I've had enough of the 'I'm doing things you've never seen before' type comments.

And, I laugh each time I see the robot coupe in the opening -presented as if it's a miracle of cutting-edge 2011 technology.

I wish Heston Blumenthal were able to make more shows!

Watched the wine episode. Wasn't impressed. Won't be bothering with any more. Way too much 'Marcel squabbling with the people he's supposed to be making happy'. Hasn't he ever heard that the customer is always right? It was pretty boring really.

• 1 month later...

I didn't know who he was, I don't watch any of those cooking competitions except chopped (where I can't stand the presenter or the arrogant judges, but have fun imagining what I'd do with the oddball mystery ingredients), but what an arrogant buffoon! Personality of a rusty cheese grater mated with a squeaky wheel.

I've watched all the shows and I'm pretty sure that he said in every single one "I've never done this before, but..." then going off on some SiFi named process and creating things I'd never want to eat. I mean really? Never done it before so you test it on a highly paid gig? Without any testing? Why not use something you KNOW and have DONE before?

I also don't believe that the handful of people there is creating all the food, just one of those TV wonders (like the 5th plate on the chopping block in chopped, never see the chefs make that plate...). Like 30something duckbreasts all quick frozen on ONE antigriddle? All cooked perfectly and kept warm in a freight elevator? How's that possible? And the flying pizza stunt was just embarrassingly childish.

And I'm sorry, but I've never been at a catered event where the chef comes out before each dish and talks himself onto a pedestal of cryovacced meat glued gold dust, blabering on and on until finally "so, without further ado" (thank you!) exiting as if he just solved the world's energy problems and brought peace to all.

Among all the awful food programming on TV, he's down there at the bottom. I'm just glad I don't have to eat any of his "creations" and I hope they cancel this show immediately. Until then I'll keep watching though, it's that car wreck on the side of the road thing....

And yes, his constant hair play is disgusting, I'm not even a fan of bearded chefs, can't quite wear a hat or hair net on that.

His helpers? I don't know, remind me of a bunch of kids that didn't get a gig on mythbusters and the idiotic squibbles with the party planners (as well as the fawning by some of them) is just stupid. Bad TV.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog