• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Price to install a gas range

lancastermike

I was ready to buy a gas range from Sears yesterday using the extra 10% discount from the "friends and family" discount program. Sears must have lots and lots of friends. They were also offering free delivery. I asked what the instalation charge was and they told me $240. I thought this sounded like a lot. I called my local plumber and he told me he would charge anywhere from $150 to $250 depending on how long it took.

I already have a gas range, this would just be taking the old one out and putting the new one in. I realize to do gas work you need someone licensed to do so. At least where I live you do. And I undertand that. I don't want some schmoe off the street hooking up a gas line.

But these prices seem high. Have any of you had the same type thing done and what did it cost you?

The lower end from your plumber makes sense if all the fittings from the old range are re-useable and were done to the current Code. Having any licensed tradesman come in is usually going to hit you for that as a minimum (course I am in pricey Los Angeles)

its not hard to do it yourself, I have done 4 or 5 with no problems..

Bud

I'm sure I could. but I don't mess around with gas. Even my brother in law who is one of those do everything kind of guys and is an electrician by trade, hires people to do gas work. I don't mind paying to have to job done, I just don't want to get overcharged.

its not hard to do it yourself, I have done 4 or 5 with no problems..

Bud

I'm sure I could. but I don't mess around with gas. Even my brother in law who is one of those do everything kind of guys and is an electrician by trade, hires people to do gas work. I don't mind paying to have to job done, I just don't want to get overcharged.

And still you'd be stuck with the job of getting rid of the old one and probably have some sort of disposal fee.

$240 doesn't sound too bad to me, but I would feel better if they didn't quote free delivery. I mean, it's like they're saying that they'll load it up, drive across town and haul it into the kitchen for free, but the last few steps will cost $240. Then again, Lowes will offer free installation on some items, but you just know that that's in lieu of offering a sale price or something.

I'd just shop around, and compare only on the total installed price. Or, if you know (or can find) a contractor you trust, they often get contractor discounts.

We had a pretty good experience with Sears installing our duel fuel oven, and a few years later when calling for service. But I've started to become leary of the K-Mart-ization that seems to be going on after they merged.