• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: PopsicleToze (2011) - Honeysuckles and Huckleberries... F

I skipped lunch yesterday because I knew I was going to dinner. I thought we were going to Fleur de Lis Pizza (and I really wanted to show you that place), but I didn't choose where we had dinner, and this is where we ate.

Mansurs.JPG

Now, before I show you the pictures of dinner, let me clear up the flash issue. I tried and tried to take pictures with the flash turned off, but it was just too dark. We were sitting in the bar area, and there were not a lot of people. The people who were there were laughing, drinking and talking to each other and could not have cared less about the couple sitting in the corner. I watched for faces, and not one time did anyone even look over when I took a picture. I asked the waitress before I did it, and if I would have had one inkling that I was disrupting someone, I wouldn't have taken pictures. But, I wasn't -- so I did!

First came the bread. It was a little odd looking and tasted somewhat like a cross between French bread and a biscuit! A little odd, but nothing disagreeable.

Bread.JPG

For the appetizer, I went old school and had the shrimp cocktail. It was good, but I usually get some type of oyster appetizer. Mansur's does have charbroiled oysters (a la Drago's Restaurant in New Orleans, which is a dear favorite of mine), but the last time I was at Mansur's I must have ordered them. They must not have been good because I must have sent them back. I don't remember, but before dinner I was told, "Now, you know you don't like their charbroiled oysters, so don't order them!" :blink:

Shrimp Cocktail.JPG

The man had a salad! :hmmm:

Grape and Blue Cheese Salad.JPG

For the entree, I had the veal in a reduced demi-glace/red wine sauce topped with jumbo white lump crabmeat in a bernaise sauce. The veal was excellent, and it could have stood on its own without the crab. I just pushed it to the side and concentrated on the veal. (I hope the PETA people don't get me. I just can't help myself. When veal is on the menu, that's what I usually get.) I debated about not getting it, but that's what I would have ordered if no one was looking, so that's what I ordered.

Veal topped with Jumbo Lump White Crabmeat and a Bernaise Sauce.JPG

Digging In.JPG

He had Chilean sea bass over whatever the day's risotto was (I didn't taste it). I'm not that much of a fish person -- once in awhile, maybe -- but not too often. He said it was great.

Chilean Sea Bass over Risotto.JPG

After dinner -- you guessed it. We passed on dessert and had Community coffee to end the meal.

Community Coffee After Dinner.JPG

This morning I had to go shopping. There were 4 priorities:

1) I need meat for today's meal (trying Whole Foods first)

2) Mom asked me to find something for her

3) Tony's Seafood (because you will love it!)

4) Scallen's Meats (because I need to take a picture of those turkey necks) :biggrin:

First, we stop by Whole Foods. I'm looking for a particular type of meat. They don't have it. Guess it's not high-brow enough for them. :laugh:

But, since we're there anyway, we can always pick up a few things.

First, I run into strawberries. Notice the farm name on the package? Yes, that is the farm we visited earlier this week. :biggrin: Well, we don't need them today.

WF strawberries.jpg

Next, I just had to take a picture of the parmigiano reggiano. Growing up, I NEVER had this -- didn't even know it existed. The only parmesan cheese I had was in a little packet tucked in Kraft's spaghetti-making kit. :raz: Truly! That's what Mom used (and still uses) to make spaghetti. When I firsted tasted *real* parmesan cheese, I was ectastic! "So, this is what this cheese is supposed to taste like!" We don't need it today, but that's the only parmesan cheese I use, and just the sight of it makes my taste buds tingle. :wub:

WF parmigiano reggiano.jpg

Then, there's the bread. It's all good, but what I typically buy (today included) is the seeduction bread. It's fantastic! Just cut a thick slice and spread a little butter on it, and it's all you need for breakfast.

WF seeduction bread.jpg

The cheese case is right next door. I don't know a lot about cheeses, so I just usually pick up a few from the small case to sample. When it's great, that's a good thing. When it's not, I only bought a small sample, so it doesn't matter.

WF sampling cheeses.jpg

Oh, and I left without breakfast, so I had to go ahead and have a taste of the bread.

WF sampling bread.jpg

They have a great olive bar!

WF olives.jpg

And here's what I got (will graze for lunch on bread, cheese and olives)...

WF my olives.jpg

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)

TONY'S SEAFOOD

The pictures will speak for themselves. One thing of interest, however, is the live catfish pond. The catfish are Mississippi farm-raised, and they are trucked in. The truck pulls up to the front of the store, opens the valve and literally pumps them in. It's fun to hear the sound it makes when a really huge catfish hits the water!

1-outdoor sign.jpg

2-indoor sign.jpg

3-swimming on this end fried on the other end.JPG

4-pond.jpg

5-trucked in.jpg

6-caught catfish.jpg

8-man holding fish.JPG

9-interior 1.JPG

10-interior 2.JPG

11-frog legs.JPG

12-shrimp.JPG

13-lady holding shrimp.JPG

14-crawfish tails.JPG

15-crawfish tails.JPG

16-jumbo lump crabmeat.JPG

18-prepared foods menu.JPG

19-people waiting.jpg

20-fried boudin balls.JPG

21-boudin.JPG

22-cajun baked catfish.JPG

23-cajun baked catfish.JPG

24-check out.JPG

AND, THERE'S MORE... THEY SHIP!

Bon Appetit!

Now, I have to find this thing for Mom. She wants Lipton in a box type soup (thing) that's called, "Lipton Recipe Secrets - Savory, Herb & Garlic," whatever! Now, just hold your breath. I could tell her that I could make this all day long, and it wouldn't make a difference (know your audience!). She has her church ladies luncheon tomorrorw (the last Friday of every month), and she does NOT want me to cook it for her. What she wants is to find the ingredients that were listed on whatever recipe she clipped for that luncheon. The *only* thing I can do is try to find what she needs, because believe me when I tell you that I learned a looooooong time ago that it simplifies my life just to know when to say, "Yes, ma'am."

So, I *know* I'm not going to find it anywhere that is popular, because she has already tried about 6 grocery stores, but since I am in North Baton Rouge anyway (at Tony's Seafood), there happens to be a Piggly Wiggly. (Yep! Just like in "Driving Miss Daisy.")

piggley wiggly sitn.jpg

So, I stop, and, YES, they had them! Great! I'll take 4 boxes (because she might want more one day, and I do not want to do this again).

lipton recipe secrets savory herb and garlic.jpg

Dang, what a wonderful blog!! I have enjoyed every word and picture, and drooled over most of them!!

Just a note--the T in T-Mike is a contraction of petite. Learned that from Dave Robicheaux, I think.

That makes sense. Petite = little, so T-Mike = Little Mike :biggrin:

Just a note - if you know anything more about that tradition, please feel free to chime in and tell us about it. What I know is what I told you, so I know there is soooooo much more to learn.

I'm so glad you like the blog!

AND JUST FOR KAY

Look what Tony's just happened to have...

crawfish pie.jpg

Now, I'm not saying that we're going to have this, but if you happen to see *anything* remotely similar to this, please know that it's just for you!

YAY! The last time I was going to have crawfish pie, I'd bought 5 or 6 pounds of crawfish and laboriously spent a couple of hours peeling and collecting tail meat. I put it in a bowl in the fridge to be compiled into a pie the next day, and headed out for something or other. When I got home, my daughter had eaten Every Bit Of IT! That's as close as that child has ever come to death....

H'mmm. And Tony's ships? We may have to see about doing some business, here.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kay, look at what just came out of the oven -- literally. They are still too hot to eat.

crawfish pies.jpg

Come on, now... everyone sing along...

Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh.

Me gotta go, pole the pirogue down the bayou.

My Yvonne, the sweetest one, me oh my oh.

Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo

'cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio.

Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gayo,

son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

Forgive me; I couldn't help myself! :laugh::rolleyes::biggrin:

And I'm sure looking forward to tasting one of these little pies!!!

Thanks for today's tour. Not being a fish fan I guess you can not comment on the catfish dishes at Tony's? Looks like a winner of a place. Those little whole onions in your take out container of olives look tempting. Prep? I am so with you on that first experience of real Parmegiano Reggiano cut from a big wheel- "where have you been all my life baby?" I crooned to the crumbly goodness.

Speaking of Hank, Sr., Walker, Louisiana is home to the Old South Jamboree. When country music was coming alive, and when the Louisiana Hayride was a necessary stop for up and coming stars (click here for history), Walker was on the map. Many of them would stop by the Old South Jamboree, and that was the case for years and years.

Now, Hank Sr. passed away in 1953, so I never heard him sing in person, and when I was a child, I didn't appreciate his music anyway. However, I did like Loretta Lynn, and I knew just about every song she sang. She came to sing at the Old South Jamboree when I was about 6 yrs old (early 1970s). So, Mom and Dad piled us up and brought us to see her. I must have been singing in my chair, because she called me up on stage, and I went... I could cringe in my seat now, but it must have been *hilarious* to see a 6yr old child sing, "You ain't woman enough to take my man!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rhonda

P.S. I can't sing a note, but I guess I didn't know it at the time. :rolleyes:

Thanks for today's tour. Not being a fish fan I guess you can not comment on the catfish dishes at Tony's? Looks like a winner of a place. Those little whole onions in your take out container of olives look tempting. Prep? I am so with you on that first experience of real Parmegiano Reggiano cut from a big wheel- "where have you been all my life baby?" I crooned to the crumbly goodness.

No, I've eaten them. The fried catfish is delicious, and the baked catfish is just okay (but that's just me). The little whole onions were a treat, but I love onions in any shape or form.

Glad to know it just wasn't me on the Parm Reg!

I never did get to Scallan's Meats (scratch that off the list), because I had a phone call and had to meet someone for lunch. However, I still have a picture on my memory card from a previous visit. I was there when they first opened that morning, and a man was bringing a whole pig from the back. I asked him if I could take a picture. He looked at me like I was crazy, but he said, "Sure. Why not?"

Warning... pretty graphic...

scallen\

Speaking of Hank, Sr., Walker, Louisiana is home to the Old South Jamboree. When country music was coming alive, and when the Louisiana Hayride was a necessary stop for up and coming stars (click here for history), Walker was on the map. Many of them would stop by the Old South Jamboree, and that was the case for years and years.

Now, Hank Sr. passed away in 1953, so I never heard him sing in person, and when I was a child, I didn't appreciate his music anyway. However, I did like Loretta Lynn, and I knew just about every song she sang. She came to sing at the Old South Jamboree when I was about 6 yrs old (early 1970s). So, Mom and Dad piled us up and brought us to see her. I must have been singing in my chair, because she called me up on stage, and I went... I could cringe in my seat now, but it must have been *hilarious* to see a 6yr old child sing, "You ain't woman enough to take my man!" :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Rhonda

P.S. I can't sing a note, but I guess I didn't know it at the time. :rolleyes:

A wonderful story and not one you hear every day, for sure. Thanks, Rhonda.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You've sure been busy. Those frogs legs and head-on shrimp at Tony's are incredibly cheap! I'm jealous. The photo of the Picayune Creole cookbook brought back memories. I lost mine in a move. That was the book everyone relied on before Prudhomme.

Their frog legs are from China :wacko: and that's RIGHT HERE when they should have been from Rayne, Louisiana (the frog capital of the world)! :wub: But they looked good, and there was a time way back when when a "seafood platter" was the order of the day (everything was fried), and it would always include a pair of fried frog's legs. I didn't order the seafood platter, because I was only a little girl, and that was a LOT of food. Daddy ordered it, and I would sample from his plate. However, we always ordered whatever we wanted. We *never* had to order from the children's menu. What to order from a large menu could be intimidating -- especially when I had just learned to read -- but Mom gave me this advice, and it's still good, "When you are in a seafood restaurant, order seafood. When you are at a steak house, order steak. If you don't know what to order, ask the waiter what he would order." I love my parents! :wub:

And the shrimp? $5.99/lb is not cheap around here. When I want shrimp, I drive to the Shrimp Lot of New Orleans' westbank. They're fresh off the boat. Bring an ice chest, or you can buy a styrofoam one there. If you order at least 10 lbs, you get large, fresh, head-on shrimp for $2.50/lb. When I go, I usually get 20 lbs because that is the EXACT amount of pounds when I decide, "I am not peeling anymore shrimp."

The Shrimp Lot has been shown on eG before, and we won't make it there in this week's blog, but I happen to have a picture on my memory card from a previous trip. Here you go...

Large, head-on shrimp. I think I bought these for barbecued shrimp. You have to have the heads for barbecued shrimp, and even for dishes that don't require the heads, I need those heads for stock.

shrimp from shrimp lot.jpg

And here is a photo (courtesy of Louisiana Dept of Tourism) of a frog jumping contest at the Rayne Frog Festival in Cajun Country.

frog jumping contest rayne frog festival cajun country.jpg

Wow - this blog is great. Either you have a tremedous amount of energy or you are going to be very tired at the end of this week :laugh: .

I'm already tired, but it's a good tired. And, yet, we still didn't get to dinner tonight. (Who knew?) That can wait until tomorrow, and I still have one more huge thing that I want to post which I can't post yet because it doesn't happen until Saturday. However, after Saturday, a girl can sleep... :rolleyes:

Kay, look at what just came out of the oven -- literally. They are still too hot to eat.

crawfish pies.jpg

Come on, now... everyone sing along...

Goodbye, Joe, me gotta go, me oh my oh.

Me gotta go, pole the pirogue down the bayou.

My Yvonne, the sweetest one, me oh my oh.

Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo

'cause tonight I'm gonna see my ma cher amio.

Pick guitar, fill fruit jar and be gayo,

son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the bayou.

Forgive me; I couldn't help myself! :laugh::rolleyes::biggrin:

And I'm sure looking forward to tasting one of these little pies!!!

Ohhhhh, man! If I leave now, I can be there before breakfast. Save me one?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When I was a child, growing up in the Ozarks, we'd sometimes go to the lodge at the nearby state park... they had 2 "special" dishes...

rainbow trout (didn't like them then and don't like them now) and frogs legs (loved them then and haven't had them for a LONG time)

I LOVE crawfish pie! I think I might still have one from Heberts in the freezer from my last trip over your way... If so, it needs eatin' and I'm on a freezer cleanout mission!

Edited by onrushpam (log)

When I was a child, growing up in the Ozarks, we'd sometimes go to the lodge at the nearby state park... they had 2 "special" dishes...

rainbow trout (didn't like them then and don't like them now) and frogs legs (loved them then and haven't had them for a LONG time)

I LOVE crawfish pie! I think I might still have one from Heberts in the freezer from my last trip over your way... If so, it needs eatin' and I'm on a freezer cleanout mission!

I am so glad you posted, but you have got to get this out of the freezer! And let us know how it tastes! :smile: I can't wait!