• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need a great recipe using bacon or avocado

CaliPoutine

Might be helpful if you let us know of other food dislikes/allergies. I know Cali doesn't eat meat -- is that still true? And the bacon I usually use is from Flying Pigs Farm. It's a far cry from supermarket bacon, not to mention more expensive.

]

I don't eat much avocado unfortunately, so can't help you there.

The recipe doesnt have to contain both secret ingredients. I'm leaning towards your amatriciana since I'm sure I can find guanciale and bucatini in LA. I can keep the sauce warm in a crock pot and throw the pasta in some boiling water( to rewarm) at the event. I also have some great san marzano tomatoes(canned) that I brought back from Canada.

Good memory, I dont eat RED meat. I do eat pork, white meat chicken, and seafood( just not raw)

How about an avocado gelato with candied bacon praline crumbles, or an avocado paleta (common enough) with some candied bacon frozen inside? You probably won't have much competition in the dessert category.

I offered up my ice cream maker and I got a message from the organizer that someone else is doing ice cream and there is to be no cooking done on site. I was thinking about a peanut butter bacon cupcake, but that is so predictable.

let us know what you make, and it would be fun to see some pictures of the spread of food everybody makes! I'm on meetup for photography, I guess I better look into the cooking side as well!

Good luck! And more importantly, lots of fun!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Ok, I made some soft pretzels and I added crisp cooked applewood smoked bacon( trader Joes), asaigo cheese and scallions. The dough will rest overnight in the fridge.

I used Alton Browns recipe, subbing some High Gluten flour for part of the AP flour and reducing the yeast to allow for an overnight rise( more flavor). Hopefully, they will come out good.

Here was the menu.

here is the amazing menu:

* avocado gazpacho served in martini glasses w grilled veggies

* bacon-wrapped chicken livers w avo and peanut butter+port

reduction

* shrimp tossed w avo + bacon

* bacon-wrapped prawns w avo sauce + peach chutney sauce

* watercress soup + sandwich of proscuitto, fresh mozza and

argula

* bacon, asiago + chive soft prezels w spicy honey mustard

* bacon choco mini croissants

* candied bacon ice cream, avo ice cream with salted caramel

choco cake"

I won in a 4 way tie with the liver, and both shrimp dishes.

189838_10150123969102616_517192615_6664137_2610770_n.jpg

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I saw a recipe today for seared tuna and avocado salad that I think would be really cool served in avocado "shells".

Also, my favorite thing to do with bacon is an awesome appetizer. Basically, take a bunch of jalapenos, cut them in half lengthwise and remove the ribs/seeds. Put a teaspoon or so of Boursin in each one, and then wrap thinly sliced raw bacon around them. Bake at 400 degrees until the bacon is cooked. If you have access to a toaster oven these reheat ok.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Know it's a little late for your event, but for the future, anyone trying to incorporate avocado into unusual (for us) dishes would be wise to look to countries with a long tradition of avocado trees growing basically everywhere. Many of those countries use avocados as a sweet. In addition to the ice cream suggestions mentioned here, avocado pie is a popular dessert, and avocado shakes are a cool, sweet and ubiquitous drink.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My favorite, besides my own dish, was the shrimp with the avocado sauce. The shrimp was large and perfectly cooked.

I liked the candied bacon ice cream too.

Everyone liked the avo gazpacho, but Im not a fan of cold soup.