• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey

Jaymes

honey is a staple in the bella house and Dr. S and I eat a bit every day--he puts it in breakfast smoothies--there's ssupposed to be good allergy fighting properties if it's local. tupelo is the caddilac of honies, but i am partial to my neighbor's wildflower honey--clear golden and sweet, mild--she got a hive for her b-day a couple yeras ago, and there's local man who maintins it for a small fee. we went through a little hive craze in rutledge, but then some of the hives strated swarming--that's why my hub and i decided not to get one--but we were very tempted. honey can't get more local than that.

i love honey on biscuits or hearty toast. also good on cold whole grain cereal with bananas. my favorite during-the-week dessert is plain yogurt with honey swirled through it.

I didn't like honey at all growing up, but now it's one of my favorite foods. I have a few jars at all times, including (these days) blueberry, avocado, linden (leftover from this summer) and a cheap, generic honey. I've started using honey for cakes, and the avocado honey in my chocolate-orange loaf tastes wonderful! Other uses include in tea, on tartines, on turkey breast sandwiches and salad dressing. Honey production is a fascinating topic and I cannot learn about it fast enough.

Anne E. McBride

Tupelo Honey

...if I were going to have a baby daughter, that's what I'd name her.  :biggrin:  

Our little 'love child.' :laugh:

Seriously, speaking of Tupelo Honey, anybody see the movie???

Ulee's Gold???

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That said, I hate how honey jars and bottles inevitably get all sticky, crystally and yucky.

Maggie - Darling - Not to state the obvious, but after every time I use some honey, I seal 'er up good and rinse the bottle quickly (using nothing but my hands and hot water) until all honey is removed from the jar.

They're not sticky at all.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That reminds me of an hors d'doeuvre I used to make. Chop of the tips of small chicken wings and freeze for the stock pot. Separate the rest of the wing into its two components -- the "drumstick-let" and the "wing-let." Marinate in a mixture of honey, soy sauce, garlic and a little Tabasco for a while and broil. Haven't thought about this in years. Sounds impossibly sweet to me now, but everyone used to love them.

Edited by Sandra Levine (log)

One I particularly like is the Buckwheat honey. It is dark in color and has a distinct molasses flavor.

I used to have a couple of hives of bees, and if you should think of getting some yourself - don't go into the hives after the bees have been shut off from the buckwheat by a sudden rain. They are not happy.

Personally, I don't care for buckwheat honey anyhow. Plain old wildflower honey suits me. And raspberry comes to mind. And, of course, orange blossom - though it's the smell more than the taste. Takes me back to the years of my youth when we wintered in FL and the smell of the orange blossoms.

Edited by Nickn (log)

I have a terrible habit of buying honey where ever I go.

Currently I have:

Tuscan Chestnut flower honey: dark and bitter, good with salty blue cheese.

Some Greek honey made my monks on some autonomously ruled mountain state: Nice for breakfast.

Provencal lavender honey for an island off the coast from Cassis: Nice waxy/lavender flavour

American Desert flower honey: tastes similar to:

Australian yellow flowering gum honey: tastes of caramel and toffee.

Tuscan flowers of the forest (spring) and (autumn) honeys: both very fresh and fragrant, similar to clover honey, which makes me think that they have a high proportion of acacia.

Greek orange flower honey: Tastes of, well, orange water.

And my favourite:

Scottish Heather honey: Rich and heady, my perfect honey.

However, I have read of an Persian honey, made from the nectar collected from opium poppy fields. Very trippy apparently and its name translates roughly as "Honey of Madness". I want some.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

Suvir - all these honeys are good, so it is difficult to rank them. The most important thing is that honey isn't refined, processed or adultered with glucose syrup etc.

My uncles had bee hives and we would occasional raid wild hives to steal their queens. In doing this we also got large amounts of honey comb containing honey and a sort of thickened pre-honey stage nectar/bee vomit, it was lovely to eat this super sweet nectar while crunching up the comb as well. This was a great experience, but a difficult thing to give to others.

So tasting honey is like that, some a good for some purposes, but not others. I would never eat Chestnut honey with a toasted bagel and fresh ricotta for my breakfast, as it is far too bitter and tannic (?). But, eaten with some salty blue cheese, perfect. I have been told that this honey eaten with blue cheese and white truffle shavings is very good, will have to to this one day.

Having said this I prefer Heather Honey bought from my local butcher, here in Edinburgh, above all others. It could be the location, but the flavours are very rich and complex and stand up to cooking (this honey combines very well with ricotta and is lovely used as a filling for crepes).

A friend gave me lychee honey and a Thai wildflower honey last year. The labels are in Thai, so I'm not sure about the wildflower honey. The lychee honey was mild in taste and smelled wonderful. I used that up very quickly. The wildflower honey also smells great but it has too strong of a floral flavour. I still have half a jar left. Other honeys I currently have in my cupboard are orange blossom (my favourite) and local alfalfa and clover honeys.

At Christmastime, a favorite "company" dessert is a wedge of Stilton drizzled with honey and walnuts.

OMG - is that good.

PS - Ron - Happy someone else liked that movie as well as I. Really gave the whole "bee keeping" thing more meaning to me. :rolleyes:

Suvir - all these honeys are good, so it is difficult to rank them. The most important thing is that honey isn't refined, processed or adultered with glucose syrup etc.

My uncles had bee hives and we would occasional raid wild hives to steal their queens. In doing this we also got large amounts of honey comb containing honey and a sort of thickened pre-honey stage nectar/bee vomit, it was lovely to eat this super sweet nectar while crunching up the comb as well. This was a great experience, but a difficult thing to give to others.

So tasting honey is like that, some a good for some purposes, but not others. I would never eat Chestnut honey with a toasted bagel and fresh ricotta for my breakfast, as it is far too bitter and tannic (?). But, eaten with some salty blue cheese, perfect. I have been told that this honey eaten with blue cheese and white truffle shavings is very good, will have to to this one day.

Having said this I prefer Heather Honey bought from my local butcher, here in Edinburgh, above all others. It could be the location, but the flavours are very rich and complex and stand up to cooking (this honey combines very well with ricotta and is lovely used as a filling for crepes).

Thanks again for a wonderful post.

Tell me one thing.. what do you do with the comb? What can one do? What is their traditional use?

We're doing a new olive oil dinnner this Sunday (details on Pac NW board), and one of the courses will be pecorino with honey and olive oil. Cathy Whims (chef/owner of Genoa) said she'd heard about it, so we've been experimenting.

Last night I mixed some local clover honey with the new oil (from Umbria) about 3 parts honey to 1 oil. It takes a bit of mixing to get a crude emulsion. Then I drizzled it over some manchego (just happened to have it) and some young pecorino Sardo.

I've eaten plain honey with pecorino before, and it's good, but I like this even more. The olive oil cuts the sweetness just enough and, especially with this assertively flavored oil, adds another element.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Thanks  again for a wonderful post.

Tell me one thing.. what do you do with the comb?  What can one do?  What is their traditional use?

Suvir - you eat the comb. Crunch, crunch. Even in the USA they must sell jars of honey with a piece of comb inside?

More tradionally, after extracting the honey you could render down the wax of the comb and use it to make more bases for bees to biuld their conb upon or make it into caddles and such.

edit: Hehehe, so many spelling mistakes.

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

Thanks  again for a wonderful post.

Tell me one thing.. what do you do with the comb?  What can one do?  What is their traditional use?

Suvir - you eat the comb. Crunch, crunch. Even in the USA they must sell jars of honey with a piece of comb inside?

More tradionally, after extracting the honey you could render down the wax of the comb and use it to make more bases for bees to biuld their conb upon or make it into caddles and such.

That is what I have done... eat it crunch, crunch. Wondered if there was more ceremony to the enjoyment of comb.

Yes, we do find jars of honey with the comb in.

Thanks for all your Honey information. Enlightening for me. :smile:

It pays to still have friends or family in the European Lands. One friend of mine travels to the Provence from Germany every year. I always get half a dozen jars of Honey thru him. His source is Roland Jacqueson in Rougon. The choices "Provence Montagne", "Miel de Chataignier", "Romarin", "Thym". Then I get Honey from New Sealand, where the bees get their nectar from a bush with reddish flowers, the Manuka bush. Also a Honey from the Otago montain range of the southern Newsealand island.

A strong flavored "Tannen Honig" (Pine) from Germany is fantastic on Oatmeal (mentioned on another thread). Some of this stuff cost me more shipping than product. But oh, what a life - and so little of it.

Peter

Yesterday for dessert at Lupa we ordered the cheese tray. One of the itms I particularly wanted was ricotta cheese with honey. The honey was Irish wild flower, and it was superb in combination with the ricotta. In fact, it was the best dessert in the lot. I think if one added some heat, in the form of red pepper flakes it would be even better.