• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What didn't you buy at the liquor store today?

mkayahara

mkayahara I am with you as well.

I am resisting getting on a tangent about the bottles designed with a big "footprint". Don't they realize there are limitations to our booze storage capacity? :)

I didn't buy Lucid Absinthe which is on closeout in PA for $40. I was tempted, but everyone seems to kind of pooh-pooh it, so I even though it's $20 off, I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Didn't buy Ri(1) because I never do and never will--it's $45 and barely worth $15. Plus the bottle is stupid. PA insists on continuing to carry it, and I can't imagine who is buying it. I should start measuring the dust on the bottles.

Didn't buy Bulleit Rye because we don't have it here yet. :angry: Our choices are basically Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, and some other one (see previous paragraph). I think we've got Old Overholt back, but this time around it's $20 (really?) because I'm led to understand Jim Beam doesn't really want anyone to actually buy it.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

a 500-ml bottle of Taboo

Hey Matt, what do you think of the Taboo? I have an order in to Okanagan Spirits that includes a bottle of the Taboo absinthe. Since the only alternative available where I live is Hill's, it seemed like the obvious way to go.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

a 500-ml bottle of Taboo

Hey Matt, what do you think of the Taboo? I have an order in to Okanagan Spirits that includes a bottle of the Taboo absinthe. Since the only alternative available where I live is Hill's, it seemed like the obvious way to go.

I really like it. I'm not a huge absinthe connoisseur, since I mostly use it in dashes and rinses, but of the three I have, I find the Taboo to be the most complex, while still retaining a lot of core anise/fennel flavour.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Went by a liquor store with a first-rate selection that I hadn't been to in probably 6 months.

I hadn't really thought about why I stopped going there - then I realized it was the prices.

They charge at least $5 more per bottle, and more expensive stuff can be up to $40 more.

If I really needed something, and couldn't find it elsewhere, I'd pay the premium, but I just cant' justify an impulse buy there.

So here's some of the stuff I thought about getting but passed up because they were just overpriced:

Stagg and Handy (because they wanted $129.99 a bottle)

Russell's Reseve Rye

Laird's Bonded

Lavagulin Distiller's Edition

Del Maguey Chichicapa Mezcal

Ocho Anejo