• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegetables for a vitamin-K restricted diet

thecuriousone

Hello all-

My mom has been put on a vitamin K restricted diet and I'm finding it pretty hard to cook for.

Of all the things I think I could deal with eliminating, the idea of cutting out the crunch of fresh greens really gives me pause. From what she tells me she can have a small amount of iceberg and nothing else.

At any rate, I have a composed salad recipe that I am cooking and sending to her. The recipe calls for crisp greens, I wanted to substitute red cabbage or radicchio or jicama (even though it has not color and isnt pretty).

My solution was to purchase a little red cabbage and blanch it untill it was just soft. My questions are:

1. could I have made a more inspired choice?

2. Would red kale have been OK?

Thanks for any observations, I could use all the suggestions I can get my hands on.

p.s. the components of the salad are lettuce, red onion, feta, orzo, oregano, basil, tomato,cucumber,

oil and vinegar dressing. I am substituting the blanched cabbage for the lettuce.

Hello all-

My mom has been put on a vitamin K restricted diet and I'm finding it pretty hard to cook for.

Of all the things I think I could deal with eliminating, the idea of cutting out the crunch of fresh greens really gives me pause. From what she tells me she can have a small amount of iceberg and nothing else.

At any rate, I have a composed salad recipe that I am cooking and sending to her. The recipe calls for crisp greens, I wanted to substitute red cabbage or radicchio or jicama (even though it has not color and isnt pretty).

My solution was to purchase a little red cabbage and blanch it untill it was just soft. My questions are:

1. could I have made a more inspired choice?

2. Would red kale have been OK?

Thanks for any observations, I could use all the suggestions I can get my hands on.

p.s. the components of the salad are lettuce, red onion, feta, orzo, oregano, basil, tomato,cucumber,

oil and vinegar dressing. I am substituting the blanched cabbage for the lettuce.

I don't think that red cabbage is necessarily any safer in her diet than green - it still has fairly high levels of Vit K. Kale is also high in Vit K - red or green. She'd be better off with the iceberg lettuce I suspect.

Here is a list of vegetables and their relative Vit K amounts.

So crunch could be had with peeled cucumber, white turnip, raw cauliflower and carrots. Sounds like green beans might also fit in there well.

Vitamin k restriction is different than other diets. Consistancy is important. You can't restrict 4 out of 5 days. It has to be every day.

I'd talk with the doc and find out how little she can actually have.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk