• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using Modernist Ingredients

LOG

Tried to get Trisol but couldn't find it and the distributor had none in store or on order.

On researching frying and crispness, I found that it seems that trisol is most likely Wheat Dextrin. Dextrin is also made from corn and tapioca. Corn dextrin is sold here in Australia as maltodextrin and is used in home brewing to add body and mouthfeel to beer.

Off to the home brew store. Bought a kilo for $9.60. Tried it out on some fried green tomatoes that I am making for a food group next week. They were crisp on being made and were still crisp two hours later, which makes them perfect for pre-preparation and reheating at the venue.

What ratio of Trisol to flour did you use?

Tried to get Trisol but couldn't find it and the distributor had none in store or on order.

On researching frying and crispness, I found that it seems that trisol is most likely Wheat Dextrin. Dextrin is also made from corn and tapioca. Corn dextrin is sold here in Australia as maltodextrin and is used in home brewing to add body and mouthfeel to beer.

Off to the home brew store. Bought a kilo for $9.60. Tried it out on some fried green tomatoes that I am making for a food group next week. They were crisp on being made and were still crisp two hours later, which makes them perfect for pre-preparation and reheating at the venue.

What ratio of Trisol to flour did you use?

I've seen 30:70, 40:60 and 50:50 referred to (trisol:flour). From memory (a variable and unreliable thing), it was 1:3 that I used and it worked well.

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

• 7 years later...

Hi all. I hope you are well.

I am wanting to make the Hot Quince Jelly in the book. The thing is in the recipe it calls for sodium hexametaphosphate which I cannot get hold of in the uk. In the table above it does give an alternative ingredient list which include locust bean gum and agar. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried this method rather than using the low acyl gellan, high acyl gellan, sodium hexametaphosphate and calcium gluconate.

Thanks all

Hi. I am trying to make the Salmon Rus for Christmas. If anyone has made it can you advise me please. When making the vegetable jus, it says 200g salmon belly trimmings, cooked sous vide and then 100g of the juice? Is this missing a liquid added to it or will 200g of salmon give me 100g of liquid?

Thanks. And thanks to the last gentlemen who recommended modernist pantry.

Regards Lee