• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today?

jsmeeker

Going through the duty free shop in Heathrow the other day I picked up a couple of bottles of Havana Club which I've never had a chance to try. I saw that they had a bar inside the store and quite a few samples (cognac, scotch, etc) but I was short for time and was not able to take advantage of this. Maybe another time.

And yesterday I was doing my grocery shopping at TJ's and saw Wild Turkey 101 for $17 so I had to get it.

8197667953_cb4241c181_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

Havana Club 7 is not such a big deal, but the 3 años makes good drinks where white rum is needed

I tried the Havana Club 7 last night and although it was not mind-blowing (and I did not expect it to be), it was pretty good for the price.

I can't wait to try the añejo 3 años in a Daiquiri.

2 Bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr old and 1 bottle of Van Winkle 12 yr old Lot B. Lucky me!

I also picked up a bottle of Masterson's Rye. Not your typical spicy Rye but more sweet and great for an Old Fashioned. Canadian Rye Whiskey made by the same distillers who do Whistlepig and Jefferson and bottled in Sonoma, CA.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Havana Club 7 is not such a big deal, but the 3 años makes good drinks where white rum is needed

I tried the Havana Club 7 last night and although it was not mind-blowing (and I did not expect it to be), it was pretty good for the price.

I can't wait to try the añejo 3 años in a Daiquiri.

Let me know. When I lived in London it was my go-to for mojitos, but never made a daiquiri out of it (because I didn't have a shaker!)

2 Bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 20 yr old and 1 bottle of Van Winkle 12 yr old Lot B. Lucky me!

I also picked up a bottle of Masterson's Rye. Not your typical spicy Rye but more sweet and great for an Old Fashioned. Canadian Rye Whiskey made by the same distillers who do Whistlepig and Jefferson and bottled in Sonoma, CA.

Lucky indeed

Stopped by the local LCBO store after work just to see if there was anything other than the usual stuff that's always there. Stumbled across this...

ginger.jpg

...and decided to try it. 4% abv Ginger Beer. Well under $4... so no big loss if it sucks, maybe an interesting addition to ginger beer containing drinks if it doesn't suck.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I hope Crabbie's doesn't taste lousey.

:biggrin: Me too.

Depends on your enjoyment of ginger beer but I have been drinking a lot of the Crabbie's lately and don't find it the least bit lousey! Rather enjoyable in fact.

Was an interesting week for me this week. Got an email from my (current) favorite whiskey supplier that a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean was being held for me. I had been the first to approach them inquiring about it and it seems that got me on the top of list. A good thing too I suppose since the allotment was exactly one bottle.

This bourbon was barreled and then aged while strapped to a ship doing ocean research. It was originally rumored that it would cost around $90 and would be available at higher proof but then apparently some barrels got damaged while on the ship and less was available. One bottle (the only one they received by their own report) was sold at auction on K&L for over $1000! Suffice it to say I didn't pay anywhere near that much.

Despite some rather lackluster reviews I have seen (It isn't that it is bad, it's just that it doesn't stand out as special or unique considering the hype and cost, at least in the opinion of those reviewers) and the rather excessive cost (it didn't cost an arm AND a leg! But it did get most of that arm...) I decided to take the plunge. After all at least a little bit of it gets donated to OCEARCH right? Would be nice if they had left a bit more whiskey and a little less water in the bottle but not much I can do about that. No plan to "admire" this bottle, it will get cracked and tasted, probably at Thanksgiving. But it probably won't end up being a cocktail ingredient!

I must say, for a swanky spirit the bottle itself is remarkable mundane. I suppose it is because it is such a limited bottling and perhaps they were trying to save some money on it since they are donating some part of the proceeds to the research organization. But the bottle itself screams "Blue light special! $12.98 on sale!". A simple plastic label is affixed to the surface, complete with an air bubble or two. The ring around the neck that says "special bottling" is crooked and the tag on the side with the UPC is partially torn. Looks like the whole bottle has spent some time at sea...

The Jefferson 18 bottle has raised painted/printed lettering on the bottle. Even the modestly priced Jeff 10yo rye has printed lettering. Oh well, it's whats inside that counts, right?

Jefferson Ocean.JPG

Then a couple of days ago an acquaintance gave me a chance to pick up a bottle of PVW 20. Had been shut out at my primary store so I hadn't expected to get any (although I did get the Jeff Ocean there so hard to complain).

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Stopped by the local LCBO store after work just to see if there was anything other than the usual stuff that's always there. Stumbled across this...

...and decided to try it. 4% abv Ginger Beer. Well under $4... so no big loss if it sucks, maybe an interesting addition to ginger beer containing drinks if it doesn't suck.

From the label and their website that might not be fermented ginger beer but ginger beer plus vodka.

There are a number of kinds of alcoholic ginger beer available here, which isn't too surprising given the Aussie love of ginger beer and alco-pops. I can't say I've tried them - I reckon if I want alcohol & ginger beer I'd prefer to add rum.

But let us know how it is.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Today, I picked up a bottle of Death's Door Gin and a bottle of Campari

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of Goslings Black Seal, a bottle of Rittenhouse Bonded Rye, a small bottle of Kahlua, and a four pack of Q Tonic.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

A few days ago, I picked up a bottle of Marie Duffau Napoleon Armagnac. I'd heard it was awesome a million times. Now I can verify I heard right: it's awesome. Such a flavorful, smooth sipper. I need to try the Hors d'Age now!

A bottle of Lillet White, a large bottle of Veseca triple-distilled potato vodka and a bottle of Absente "Absinthe Refined". They told me that the absinthe had only been available for two weeks and I was the first to buy it. Hehe I'll give it a shot tonight without the louche even though the bottle came with a spoon...

• 2 weeks later...

3 new malts, bringing my modest collection up to 8, and some new and resupplied rum, making my collection even more unwieldy (approaching 2 dozen now, I think). The best part of all of this is the baller Wray and Nephew 50th anniversary of Jamaican independence fridge magnet!

561146_844244525411_1860569110_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare. I'd never had it, but had heard good things. It's ok. It almost reminds me of cognac/armagnac. I joked with my wife that ER is corgnac. Anyway, it's ok, but I don't like it as much as Elijah Craig 12 year, which is my go to bourbon (although I'm no expert). At the company party on Friday, and tried the Elijah Craig 20 year on the boss's dime...Not bad! But honestly, I think the 12 year is pretty close for a way friendlier price.

I also picked up Wild Turkey 101 the other day. A hell of a drink for $20!

I second the Eagle Rare. It's decent, and usually on sale at $20, so that's OK, but it's nothing special. Then again, not a huge bourbon guy anyway. Give me my scotch! (or rye, or indeed, rum!)

Two quick stops Christmas shopping for myself an others. At the first I picked up some Lillet and Four Roses Bourbon. Then I went to a store I had found has much cheaper prices for certain things, and was finally able to restock my Campari, and pick up some Aperol and Hayman's Old Tom Gin for the first time. Man, my paychecks disappear quickly at liquor stores!

1) Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr Bourbon

2) 12yr old Yamazaki Single Malt

3) WhistlePig Straight Rye

4) not at the store but a friend of mine dropped me off a 12pk case of Russian River Brewery Damnation!

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species